PDA

View Full Version : yeah about rough idle need urgent help

rajagursahani
12/02/2006, 10:41 AM
so can you drive still with rough idle. the check engine light is def on. the car even stalls sometimes in the middle of traffic. the rpms shoot up and down. my dear mechanic friend told me its def the egr valve or something along that route. the engine codes sound also like a good idea to get. so basically what should one do or worry about in this situation. is it damaging the car. i don't believe so but would love your expert opinions or at least experienced opinions

raja

nfpgasmask
12/02/2006, 11:22 AM
Make sure you got a good clean tank of gas, change your oil and pcv, change your spark plugs, change/clean your egr, and if that doesn't take care of it??? But, if you are driving around, I would say get the codes read so you have a good starting point.

BTW, I'm no expert, but these are some of the things I have seen on this forum so far to cause these types of issues.

Bart

Ruflyf
12/02/2006, 11:29 AM
Raja

Thats almost the identical symptoms I had, and several others. In my case I can tell you what I did (which fixed it btw). First, remove the Idle Control Valve from the intake and give it a good cleaning. Second, look at the wires in the MAF and make sure they are clean, if not very carefully clean them. Third, make sure the 22m bolt on the bottom of the EGR is tight, and the pipe that goes between the EGR and the intake. I believe the problem will be solved by just doing step 3, but the other 2 steps are what I did also.