PDA

View Full Version : New Supercharger problem

Ruflyf
01/15/2007, 07:36 AM
As most of you know the 22m bolt on the bottom of the s/c loosens easily. Over time from coming loose and threading it back on the threads have gotten trashed in the aluminum egr block Tad had custom made. The machine shop told me they would probably not be able to helicoil it for some reason (non standard threading or size or something). My questions are:

1) If I find a stock egr mount will it work?
2) Do I need to order a S/C egr mount from Alpine/Tone?
3) Tad if you read this, do you know if the 22m hole was helicoiled and if so, a helicoil part number or something?

As usual, Thanks in advance

Keith

Ldub
01/15/2007, 07:53 AM
That's a drag...sorry to hear. :(

1. No, the stock one won't work without the stock intake manifold being re-installed. I suppose you MIGHT be able to cut one off a stock manifold & fab up a mounting bracket.

2. That would be your best bet...also, upon re-assembly, a little dab of hi-temp silicone helps to keep it from vibrating loose again.

Ruflyf
01/15/2007, 08:37 AM
Ldub, thx for the reply. Soo, did Alpine supply the new block for the egr to mount to with the kit? Also looking at the pics in your gallery it looks alot like the block I thought Tad had custom made is the same as yours, so maybe its the Alpine supplied egr block. I thought Tad had said it was custom made but he may have been referring to a different part.

rowhard
01/15/2007, 09:00 AM
Non Standard size? Any reason why you can take it to the next size up in a S.A.E.? Not sure if you have ever helicoiled anything, but it's not that diffcult to do. Now, I don't have the S/C or have ever seen one on a VX so I'm just WAG'ing here.

Ruflyf
01/15/2007, 12:32 PM
Well the propblem I think is the threaded part is probably around 5/8ths or 3/4 in. diameter and everyones helicoils are smaller than that.

Now that I have realized it may take a few days to fix this problem, I can research and find out if they exist or not in the thread and diameter I need.

Ldub
01/15/2007, 02:42 PM
Tad may have had an exact duplicate made @ a machine shop, i don't know.

Going up a size isn't an option because your locked in to one size because the nut on the EGR tube would be way difficult to replace with a different size.

Ruflyf
01/16/2007, 05:49 PM
Contacted Alpine today and was told the aluminum block is out of stock. :( However he did have some good news for me. Apparently the newer model S/Cers dont have the piping at all, Alpine has done away with it and just eliminate the EGR. He told me to just cap both ends of the piping, plug the egr electrical back in and tie the EGR up somewhere out of the way. I guess it has to stay plugged in to keep the comp happy. Anyway, I'll be testing this over the next few days and keeping track of gas mileage changes.

nater
01/29/2007, 11:35 AM
Wow no EGR on the new kit? Can it still pass emissions? (CARB certified?)

Any increased engine knock from higher combustion chamber temps?

Nate

Ruflyf
01/29/2007, 06:26 PM
My temp is running the exact same, it may be my imagination but it seems that its a lil more responsive now.

As for emissions, I have no idea...no testing where I live. I really dont see emissions being affected much if any, because all a EGR does is return a small fraction of the exaust back through the intake.

nater
01/29/2007, 08:30 PM
EGR's job is not to "reburn" unburned stuff, but to cool the combustion chamber by running unburnable air through, thereby reducing NOx (which is caused solely by high temps and pressure, it has nothing to do with combustion itself). EGR has the added benefit of reducing knocking (pinging).

In the 70's, EGR was a performance killer, but now, engines are designed with it, in fact, typically need EGR to function properly.

I'm not sure what the effects will be on the 3.5L, but it might be worth not taking the chance if there is any other way around this...

Nate