PDA

View Full Version : Lift on the way

CrnCnn
02/13/2007, 10:03 PM
Well I just ordered my OME 912's. I did them 2nd day so that I can get them in this weekend. I decided to not get shocks yet since mine still seem to be in good condition.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/bugs-04-june.gif

WiSDoM
02/14/2007, 05:24 AM
Congrats Man
I remember when I lifted my VX lastyear, i enjoyed the it before but even more afterwards. Almost made me think of those people in the old toyota commercials where the new toyota owners jumped in the air with happiness.

So enjoy the lift man and show some pics. Hell I will even jumP around for yeah. :)

VCrossfan
02/14/2007, 06:47 PM
Take pic's before/after. I'm thinking about a 2" lift also and am looking at the 913 springs. Rocky-Road has the 912, 913 and 919 for $66.02 per spring ($152.60 w/shipping at my door) not a bad deal...

CrnCnn
02/16/2007, 01:33 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/SP_A0341.jpg

Got 'em today, got the T-bar adjustments soaking, will get on it first thing in th A.M.

CrnCnn
02/16/2007, 01:36 PM
While I was down there spraying my T-bar adjustments, I looked over at my bump stops. Holy crap I am cutting those F'ers...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/SP_A0338.jpg

ZEUS
02/16/2007, 02:26 PM
Don't cut them yet! Get lifted, put on your bigger tires, then see how close they come to touching your wheel wells when you are flexed out. If it looks like you are going to have a little more room to flex without rubbing the wheel wells then maybe you can cut them... if you eat your pees and carrots! :p After you lift your VX, you won't be riding on the bump stops anyway. :cool: Have fun tomorrow!

CrnCnn
02/16/2007, 02:33 PM
Don't cut them yet! Get lifted, put on your bigger tires, then see how close they come to touching your wheel wells when you are flexed out. If it looks like you are going to have a little more room to flex without rubbing the wheel wells then maybe you can cut them... if you eat your pees and carrots! :p After you lift your VX, you won't be riding on the bump stops anyway. :cool: Have fun tomorrow!

Yeah I read on another post that it can hurt more than help sometimes. I think you posted it. I will wait to cut them, I was really suprised at how close they are I guess.

ZEUS
02/16/2007, 03:37 PM
I think they are that close to help fight body roll and they seem to do a good job. I will post a pic tonight of what I did to mine so you can laugh at me. I get a bit of jounce here and there but I have fun with it when I ask a busty girl to ride along! Who am I kidding... my dog is the only one who rides along... I'm no Rob Harvey... ;)

JHarris1385
02/16/2007, 03:53 PM
I swear I cracked up at that post Zeus.......God I wish I was Rob Harvey.

Anyways.....I never cut mine either. And Zeus you have me looking for 4.77 or the 4.56

C' I personally found it easier to lift the VX with a block of wood on the jack and lift from the gas tank. I have a large jack too. Just this way is easier. I read thats how Spazz did it. Also remember unbolt your shocks before hand. SOmething I forgot. So I had to unjack the VX and then unbolt. This process only took me about 30 minutes and you will love the way it looks after.

Remember to post pics.

CrnCnn
02/16/2007, 04:30 PM
I swear I cracked up at that post Zeus.......God I wish I was Rob Harvey.

Anyways.....I never cut mine either. And Zeus you have me looking for 4.77 or the 4.56

C' I personally found it easier to lift the VX with a block of wood on the jack and lift from the gas tank. I have a large jack too. Just this way is easier. I read thats how Spazz did it. Also remember unbolt your shocks before hand. SOmething I forgot. So I had to unjack the VX and then unbolt. This process only took me about 30 minutes and you will love the way it looks after.

Remember to post pics.

Ahhh, Mr. Harvey, I wonder if he has images of men getting laid and a computer in the background pouting from lack of use?

ANYWAY...

I have an appointment to get my alignment done Monday afternoon. I was wondering about re-adjusting the T-bars. I read from Billy i think that things will settle after driving. How much driving you think? I don’t want to get my alignment done then have to do it again due to this. About 10-12 turns is what Billy wrote in the procedure, sound about right?

I got the batteries charging for my camera, dont worry Pics will be here.

JHarris1385
02/16/2007, 04:50 PM
Your set and you got the right info. Just when cranking the t-bars. I cranked for a bit dropped the vx to ground and measured height untill both sides were near exact as I could get them. If I remember correctly I think Im pulling 38'' from groun to top of fender well.

ZEUS
02/16/2007, 10:37 PM
Lift it and go have some fun and when you get back home remeasure and see where you are at. Do what you gotta do until you are satisfied. The place I hired to do my alignment knew I just did the lift and told me to bring it back a month later to make sure things were still in tolerance. See if they will work with you in this fashion and if they do you will possibly have a good shop in the future.

ZEUS
02/16/2007, 11:25 PM
Alright, here is what I did for my VX after lifting it and wanting to keep some anti body roll in the equation. My rear bumpstops desinegrated (sp?) sometime after I bought it and the rubber had disappeared so I came up with this to keep 33's from rubbing away my wheel wells... much less my 32's!
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Bumpstop.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumpstop.JPG)
They are a bit stiff, but should help control 33's when I get them. I confess I am drunk again; but it is Friday and 12:15 am and the party is continuing while people are making fun of me for posting right now... but what the hell! I am proud to belong to this forum. :p Eat your heart out Mr. Harvey!

Ldub
02/17/2007, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=but it is Friday and 12:15 am and the party is continuing while people are making fun of me for posting right now... but what the hell! I am proud to belong to this forum. :p Eat your heart out Mr. Harvey![/QUOTE]

Robbie's there at the party with you ??? :confused: :p :p :p ;)

ZEUS
02/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Robbie's there at the party with you ??? :confused: :p :p :p ;)

He is with us all in spirit! Or maybe in us all after having spirits... :bgwp:

CrnCnn
02/17/2007, 08:13 PM
Ok she’s done. Well here is a couple before images.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Before3.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Before.jpg

Not the best I know.

Here is a couple after the 912’s
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/OME912s.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/OME912s2.jpg

And Thanks for talking me out of it ZEUS.!!!! Here is the new clearance for the bump stops. Look at all that room..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Bumpstop.jpg

Here is what kept me awake after staying out too late last night.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Getyourselfgoing.jpg

So here is the final product..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/after2.jpg

I will get some better pics tomorrow.

I measured from the floor to the rear fender well, before was 35 on each side. After was 37.5.

The front fender well, before was 33.25. Then after 11 turns and the flip was 36.5. I will drive around a little more tomorrow and then re-measure to make sure all is well.

Thank you to those who threw advice my way, it is greatly appreciated. Billy, thank you for posting the instructions. It was really pretty easy, but it made it that much easier with them.

Triathlete
02/17/2007, 08:19 PM
No problem...glad to of been of help. Now get some bigger meats and plan a trip to ZuZoo! :thumbup:

CrnCnn
02/17/2007, 08:21 PM
No problem...glad to of been of help. Now get some bigger meats and plan a trip to ZuZoo! :thumbup:

I know, now my tires look small. 33inch BFG's here I come.

CrnCnn
02/17/2007, 08:28 PM
Your set and you got the right info. Just when cranking the t-bars. I cranked for a bit dropped the vx to ground and measured height untill both sides were near exact as I could get them. If I remember correctly I think Im pulling 38'' from groun to top of fender well.

38"? maybe I should go another turn?

ZEUS
02/17/2007, 11:44 PM
NICE! Glad you got it done. It looks like you had to make room in the garage to complete the lift. What is your other project?

Sidenote: I wrote to Spike TV's Xtreme 4x4 and asked them if they would want to do a couple episodes on an SAS on an IFS rig... namely, a VX... specifically, mine. Unfortunately, Jessie Camp got hurt recently so they probably won't be starting any new projects any time soon. Doesn't hurt to ask though... and how cool would that be if they agreed to it! :cool:

biju
02/18/2007, 07:19 AM
Nice work... the lift just looks sooo good on a VX...

-biju.

Ldub
02/18/2007, 07:33 AM
38"? maybe I should go another turn?

I think JH has taller tires than you have = 38" ?

Let it settle, then back the t-bars down a bit...according to your previous post, you have 2.5" of lift in the rear & 3.25" in the front.

IMO, I would trade a little hammer work & some trimming for decreased CV angle, if that's the purpose of lifting the front 3/4" more than the rear... :confused:

If I missed something, please enlighten me. :cool:

CrnCnn
02/18/2007, 08:24 AM
NICE! Glad you got it done. It looks like you had to make room in the garage to complete the lift. What is your other project?

Sidenote: I wrote to Spike TV's Xtreme 4x4 and asked them if they would want to do a couple episodes on an SAS on an IFS rig... namely, a VX... specifically, mine. Unfortunately, Jessie Camp got hurt recently so they probably won't be starting any new projects any time soon. Doesn't hurt to ask though... and how cool would that be if they agreed to it! :cool:

That second project is 69 camaro. It is my step-dad's though.

That would be the best thing ever if they agreed to do your VX on extreme 4x4.

CrnCnn
02/18/2007, 08:27 AM
I think JH has taller tires than you have = 38" ?

Let it settle, then back the t-bars down a bit...according to your previous post, you have 2.5" of lift in the rear & 3.25" in the front.

IMO, I would trade a little hammer work & some trimming for decreased CV angle, if that's the purpose of lifting the front 3/4" more than the rear... :confused:

If I missed something, please enlighten me. :cool:

No you didnt miss anything, and now that you mention it I will see were they stand after today and maybe back the front down a little. I dont want that much stress on my CV's.

Triathlete
02/18/2007, 01:32 PM
NICE!

I don't know...you saw what happened to that Ranger when they took it out to test it! ;eeky; :smack: :laughing:

ZEUS
02/18/2007, 08:02 PM
I don't know...you saw what happened to that Ranger when they took it out to test it! ;eeky; :smack: :laughing:

Good point... Ranger Resurrection turned Ranger Redestruction! That would be my luck...

CrnCnn
02/19/2007, 07:23 PM
Well here is something that will ruin your weekend project and your two year wedding anniversary…

So I took the VX down to Les Schwab to get the alignment done and an hour and a half later the guy comes out and tells he broke the Tie rod. So now I have to wait at least four days and pay 176 bucks.

Watch out pal
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/sub-zero_e0.gif

ZEUS
02/19/2007, 07:29 PM
Look at it as an excuse to get HD tie rods! :p

PHO2GR4
02/19/2007, 07:29 PM
Why do YOU have the pay $176 if THEY broke it?!?

CrnCnn
02/19/2007, 07:37 PM
Why do YOU have the pay $176 if THEY broke it?!?

That is what my wife is argueing. Their point of view is, well it is a wear part and it could have broken at any shop or any place.

CrnCnn
02/19/2007, 07:57 PM
Look at it as an excuse to get HD tie rods! :p

Well thats 200 bucks for the set it appears, from independent4x. what is the benefit? just more durable?

EDIT: So I am ordering the HD tie rods from Indy4x. It makes no sense to me to pay almost 200 for one when I can get the replacement set of serious ones for almost the same price. I am calling the suckers tomorrow and telling them to not touch it and to not order the replacement.

Ldub
02/19/2007, 09:11 PM
Well thats 200 bucks for the set it appears, from independent4x. what is the benefit? just more durable?

EDIT: So I am ordering the HD tie rods from Indy4x. It makes no sense to me to pay almost 200 for one when I can get the replacement set of serious ones for almost the same price. I am calling the suckers tomorrow and telling them to not touch it and to not order the replacement.

Ya might want to call & get an estimate of how long it will take to get these...
when I bought mine, they were having problems getting their hands on enough tie rod ends, this may have been solved by now ? :confused:

If you need a stock replacement, pm me your shipping addy. & I'll overnight it to you.
You can return it & re-emburse me @ Moab. ;)

CrnCnn
02/19/2007, 09:19 PM
Ya might want to call & get an estimate of how long it will take to get these...
when I bought mine, they were having problems getting their hands on enough tie rod ends, this may have been solved by now ? :confused:

If you need a stock replacement, pm me your shipping addy. & I'll overnight it to you.
You can return it & re-emburse me @ Moab. ;)

I will call indy4x in the morning, either way Les Schwab is NOT working on my baby anymore. They will get it out of their shop tomorrow and that will be that.

Thanks for the heads up and the offer, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Also if these are not available, can anyone recomend another place that I can get them from?

JHarris1385
02/19/2007, 10:08 PM
I would file for the shop to pay you $176 dollars + time they charged you to break the tie rod. Iv done it in the past; and they are legally responsible to pay you that money. Only way they can get out of it is if you signed a contractual agreement prior to them working on your VX, that included a disclaimer releasing ALL liability.

$176 is a nice chunk of $199 plus shipping.

Triathlete
02/20/2007, 07:57 AM
In what book does it show tie rods as a "wear" part? I always thought wear parts were things such as bearings, piston rings, tires, belts, etc. Sounds to me like they should be paying for your tie rods. Tie rods don't "just break". If they did just think of the carnage on the highways from out of control vehicles. It took some doing to break it. I know mine and a lot of others on this site have put some serious pressure on the rods while 4 wheeling without failure.

CrnCnn
02/20/2007, 09:01 AM
In what book does it show tie rods as a "wear" part? I always thought wear parts were things such as bearings, piston rings, tires, belts, etc. Sounds to me like they should be paying for your tie rods. Tie rods don't "just break". If they did just think of the carnage on the highways from out of control vehicles. It took some doing to break it. I know mine and a lot of others on this site have put some serious pressure on the rods while 4 wheeling without failure.

Yeah I know, I know enough about mechanics to know what kind of pressures go on those things. He is holding with his argument. They are paying to get it towed to my house. But like Zeus pointed out I will look at it on the bright side and get me some new HD ones.

JHarris1385
02/20/2007, 09:35 AM
Their arguement is not valid. Your in the hole a possible $176. I would stand up and make them pay. They know they are wrong and thats the reason for the arguement.

CrnCnn
02/20/2007, 12:32 PM
I know it isnt valid. I have a call into the regional manager. I am not the argumentative type. The tie rods are on order from ind4x. I have a truck I can drive. They covered the 100 bucks for towing. I will go somewhere else to get it aligned when I can.

Ascinder
02/20/2007, 01:50 PM
As a fellow Reno VXer, which Les Schwab was it so I can avoid going there myself(for non VX stuff as well)? I am looking at an alignment having to be done in a week or so, let me know who you end up going through if they are any good.

CrnCnn
02/20/2007, 02:24 PM
As a fellow Reno VXer, which Les Schwab was it so I can avoid going there myself(for non VX stuff as well)? I am looking at an alignment having to be done in a week or so, let me know who you end up going through if they are any good.

I went to the one on South Virginia near the Atlantis. I don’t know when I will get the new heavy duty ones. I plan on going to Big O, they have done work for me in the past and hadn’t had any trouble. I thought I would save some money going to Les Schwab.. see where that got me. :mad:

nfpgasmask
02/20/2007, 03:18 PM
Hey, finally I chime in here, somehow I missed all this until today.

The lift looks good Clint! I can't wait to see it in person.

I got my tires, rims and alignment done up by me at the Big-O on McCarran and MaeAnn. The guys there were super cool to me and I think they did a good job, in a timely manner. My alignment was jacked and they made it nice and straight. It took them about an hour to get it just right. I think the alignment was around $70, iirc. I'm taking my VX back there for the brakes and wheel bearing repack. They all seemed to like the VX and I made sure they knew this wasn't just "my car".

Anyway, I am hoping they do a nice job on my brakes and bearings.

Bart

nfpgasmask
02/20/2007, 03:19 PM
Damn, it would be sweet if you, me and Ascinder can caravan from Reno to Moab...

Bart

CrnCnn
02/20/2007, 04:24 PM
Damn, it would be sweet if you, me and Ascinder can caravan from Reno to Moab...

Bart

Yeah it would. I wish I could go but I already have plans at the end of march to meet a friend in vegas. Cant afford both. I planned on going to the Big O on Keitzke, but they arent always the most pleasant guys. Maybe I will try the one you went to. They quoted me 70, Les Schwab was supposed to be 51. O well what I get for trying to save a buck.

nfpgasmask
02/20/2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, the guys up here at my Big-O are MUCH cooler than the guys that work at the Keitzke location. I have been in there too and they seem to have a little bit of a stick up their arses The one up here is much newer and cleaner too.

Bart

Yeah it would. I wish I could go but I already have plans at the end of march to meet a friend in vegas. Cant afford both. I planned on going to the Big O on Keitzke, but they arent always the most pleasant guys. Maybe I will try the one you went to. They quoted me 70, Les Schwab was supposed to be 51. O well what I get for trying to save a buck.

CrnCnn
02/21/2007, 06:12 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/07022114.jpg

VCrossfan
02/21/2007, 06:47 PM
My 913's will be here in a week or so. Looks like it's time for me to pre-lube. Let's see...T-bars, tierod's, Rear shocks.. etc.

JHarris1385
02/21/2007, 06:55 PM
I think its awesome to have more and more lifted vx's.
Keep us informed on your progess Vcrossfan

VCrossfan
02/21/2007, 07:28 PM
I think its awesome to have more and more lifted vx's.
Keep us informed on your progess Vcrossfan

I will. Trying to get away from the street look and get some chrome off. Belows a pic of my new wheels (sticking with 16") and I have BFG 265/70/16 on my stocks for winter wheels and have gave me a good ride all winter but now and thinking of putting them on the new wheels. But on ebay I ran across sets of Terra Grapplers 265/75/16 for $485.00 to my door, or the same seller has 285/75/16 for about $535.00 to my door. But since the new wheels have a 6mm offset (about 4 1/4 backspacing) the 285's might be alittle tight on an turn. So since the nitto 265 price is good I might keep the BFG's on the stocks and go with the 265/75 on the new wheels. I also have the summer wheels 18" aftermarket Chromes with 255/55/18. Three fulls sets,, geeeez what am I doing???..lol

Anyone with 285/75/16's please help me with any input you have. Ride, any TOD probs, etc..

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_1864.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/100_1864.JPG)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/100_1865.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/100_1865.JPG)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/Incubus_IA_511.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/Incubus_IA_511.jpg)

CrnCnn
02/25/2007, 12:01 PM
My poor thing just sitting there. Cant go play

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/HPIM0913.JPG

nfpgasmask
02/25/2007, 12:14 PM
My VX is sitting nice and dry in my garage, just waiting for some donuts. That sucks man. Hopefully the part will get fixed soon.

Bart

My poor thing just sitting there. Cant go play

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/HPIM0913.JPG

CrnCnn
03/01/2007, 06:07 PM
Alrighty, the tie rods are finally here. They are BEEFY.. nice. I will install early saturday then take the VX to Big O and get it aligned.

bobmumgaard
03/02/2007, 09:01 AM
I have indy tie rods, they are incredibly beefy, ends are great, love those guys, but they come unpainted. They sat in my garage a few weeks and got some surface rust so I powdercoated them. You might want to do the same to keep them looking pretty, now that you can see them with the lift and all. Now is a better time to do it than later, save you from aligning twice. Just my $0.02

CrnCnn
03/02/2007, 09:16 AM
Yeah I planned on painting them. Not sure what color though.

CrnCnn
03/03/2007, 04:27 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/HPIM0960.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/HPIM0953.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/HPIM0951.jpg