PDA

View Full Version : Relpacing bearings...help.

Bimati
02/15/2007, 04:22 PM
Since my VX is wobbling down the road, I'm relpacing the front wheel bearings......I'm also an idiot, so I don't know what I'm doing.

Can someone instruct me what parts I will need and anything that should be replaced at the same time as the bearings, like the bearing holders (races?)....I want to do it right, but I don't want to completely rebuild the front end.

Help is appreciated.

Part numbers?

Thanks peeps.

Ldub
02/15/2007, 07:23 PM
You should be able to get bearings, races & seals at most local parts stores...when I did mine I found some scorching on one bearing.
A quick trip to the local NAPA & I was back in business.
Also, from a few things I've read, a digital scale (with a hook, like for weighing fish) is the hot ticket for adjusting the bearing tension.
There is a good how-to write up on this subject on either planet isuzu or the 4x4 wire...can't remember where I saw it.

Ldub
02/16/2007, 07:03 AM
Here's a link to the Planet Isuzoo how to...

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56

johnnyapollo
02/16/2007, 07:36 AM
That planetisuzoo writeup should get you where you need to be - incidentally, you may not need that hub tool - when we went in to replace the calipers the retaining right that the tool is used for could almost be moved by hand. Tapping it lightly with the end of a screwdriver and hammer should get it to turn. I bought the ford tool (modifying it) and it was a waste of money.

-- John

nfpgasmask
02/16/2007, 09:17 AM
I'm getting my bearings repacked here soon, I bought my seals at the local Isuzu dealer here in Reno, cost was about $32 for the pair I think...

Bart

Bimati
02/16/2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks, Guys! I'm starting the research now!!!

Bim

Chopper
02/16/2007, 03:49 PM
It's an easy one Bim... about a five beer job, at most. Get some rubber gloves for the packing festivities. I usually just chuck the old bearing altogether... like a water pump... if I'm in that deep, I'm not putting old stuff back in. They are cheap enough, well under a hundred bucks if I remember( I pulled the OEM's at like 5000mi. and found them rusty! I was only repacking with Mobil one, and ended up chucking them) I'm anal as hell that way. I always replace wear items at service time, whenever feasible. Wayne

Bimati
02/16/2007, 06:58 PM
I'm with you, Wayne. I'm not sticking old parts back in there!!! Fresh new stuff for MOAB 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Swordy
02/16/2007, 10:25 PM
Normally on trucks like these, the control arm bushings will go bad before the wheel bearings. That will give you a wobbly feel alot more than a wheel bearing will. Cheaper and easier to fix too.

Triathlete
02/17/2007, 07:31 AM
Get some rubber gloves for the packing festivities.

Is it just me or does something just plain sound wrong about this? ;eeky; ;Dy;

Tone
02/17/2007, 07:59 AM
Pair of seals at an auto parts store is about $15