PDA

View Full Version : Bearings-Snap ring won't fit

Bimati
02/18/2007, 03:17 PM
So, I'm in the middle of the project.

Replaced inner and outer bearings, races, and inner seal.

Puting it all back together and the snap ring won't quite go back on. No matter how much I torque things down, it seems like I need just 1/100th inch more to get the snap ring to hit the groove. I can't seem to make that happen.

I've taken it all apart, and tried again. Everything seems to be seated correctly...confused and now the VX sits up on blocks.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bim

Chopper
02/19/2007, 03:13 PM
Hey, Bimati...you work this out yet? Wayne

Bimati
02/19/2007, 05:25 PM
Well, the replacement races were .5mm too deep...just enough to cause the snap ring not to fit. I did a touch of filing on the ring, and it finally popped in. Hopefully that will do the trick. First drive will be tonight.

MrCrowley
02/19/2007, 06:17 PM
Haven't done this yet, so can't help. Good luck!

rowhard
02/19/2007, 06:30 PM
Just curios, who did you buy from and what brand so I know not to do the same?

Bimati
02/19/2007, 06:36 PM
The originals were French jobbies, the replacements from Autozone were German jobbies.

I'll have to check the specific brand and I'll see if I can rescue the boxes to get you more information....stay tuned!!!

Bim

Ldub
02/20/2007, 06:01 AM
Drive it for about a hundred miles, then remove the front wheels/calipers & re-check the bearing tension with your scale thingy again after the bearings/races have seated.
Just a thought worth two cents...but only in Larryland. ;)

Bimati
02/20/2007, 06:32 AM
Will do, Pickles. Thanks for the tip Uncle Dub.

Bim

nfpgasmask
02/20/2007, 08:34 AM
Now I am curious. I am getting my front bearings repacked and when I went to the dealer they said all I need are new seals. I bought two OEM Japanese made seals and that's it.

I am taking my VX in to have the brakes and rotors replaced and the front bearings repacked. Aside from the seals, should I have some other parts/hardware for them to do the job right?

Thanks- Bart

Bimati
02/20/2007, 09:40 AM
While they are repacking the bearings, have them look at the bearings and races for wear.....it would be a good time to replace those if they need it. If not, repack and carry on your merry way.

Bim

nfpgasmask
02/20/2007, 10:25 AM
OK, cool. How many miles are you at?

Bart

While they are repacking the bearings, have them look at the bearings and races for wear.....it would be a good time to replace those if they need it. If not, repack and carry on your merry way.

Bim

Bimati
02/20/2007, 03:46 PM
94K, b*tches!!!

Bought it almost a year ago with 56K on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE drivin my VX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooh, you like that, don't ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!

Bim