PDA

View Full Version : Need info for Tranny and TOD fluid and Filter change..

VXNIT
02/21/2007, 03:52 PM
Can I get some facts from the experts before beginning this adventure?
Mobil 1 Product for Tranny and TOD?
Filter and Gasket Specifics for tranny? Buy from Isuzu or other location and Go with Cork or Neophrene gasket composite?
Capacity-Quarts that go in tranny if flushed and filter change?
Capacity-Quarts that go in TOD.
Tool used for flushing Tranny and where to get?
Filler or pump gadgets to assit refill?

Also any reco on radiator flush tools and type of antifreeze or mixtures for my Daytona Beach driving?
Thanks

CrnCnn
02/21/2007, 06:14 PM
I am in need of the same info.

blacksambo
02/21/2007, 07:03 PM
Joe Black has written a nice piece on this subject. If you need to know more, my personsal experience on this subject has been very involving, to say the least. PM me and I'll call you to discuss the ins and outs of getting this job done right by a service supplier.

uncle_asa
02/21/2007, 08:37 PM
Workshop manual says that tranny is keeping some info on oil quality, so it is better be reset with the scanner after oil is replaced. I did not reset it and no major problems on 15K, but I also did not replaced filter (my mechanic told me that it might cause lot of problems if you put any dirt there, so he refused to change it by himself). I'm going to replace filter and oil again, and reset the tranny during next 5K.

VehiX
02/22/2007, 06:28 AM
Is that some some sort of special tool he's using to adjust the headlights? That was new to me. Also, I'd like to see if we can get our hands on that card he said came with the video on cleaning and painting the cladding.

nfpgasmask
02/22/2007, 11:06 AM
I bought an OEM filter with cork gasket from Autozone. Ran me about $35 iirc. One tip, if you go this route, take out the cork gasket and put it between some big books or some other flat heavy objects for a couple days. It will make keeping the gasket in place during installation a lot easier.

Getting new fluid up into the fill hole is a WHORE to say the least. I used a little hand pump from Pep Boys to do the trick. Its messy as hell.

Also, I used Mobile 1 Synthetic tranny fluid. My trans fluid was chocolate and burnt smelling when I bought my VX. I was also slamming gears hard inbetween 2nd and 3rd. Changing out the fluid fixed this problem.

Bart

PS - To change the filter you will need to drop the crossmember supporting the tranny. You have to use jack stands to support the trans first, and then drop the cross member. Try to find a buddy to help you with this project, and give yourself all day or all weekend...

Navigator
02/23/2007, 03:20 PM
A T-Tec is a machine you attach to the tranny cooler lines that draws out the old fluid, flushes new fluid thru the tranny until clean, and then fills the tranny with fresh fluid. It's a near zero mess solution, and ideal for sealed trannys like ours.

I posted more detail on this years ago. The facts are in here burried in the search funtion.

Tone
02/24/2007, 09:06 AM
After you go through the hassle and expense of changing the pan filter, I'd recommend adding a $35Transprotector inline filter on the fluid line that goes to the radiator cooler and NEVER drop the pan again.

These filter down to 5 microns or less and have a magnet and a bypass valve inside to prevent a catastophe. Pan filters only clean to around 50 microns so a Transprotector WILL prolong the life of a tranny. It should be changed every 10-15K miles but it is a simple task requiring only a screwdriver.

http://epntz-filter.com/sect1b.asp

They are not on my page but send me an email or paypal and I'll get one out to you.