PDA

View Full Version : My ongoing problems with flashing TOD check light

Nick
02/28/2007, 11:33 PM
The lights still flashing and the VX is now just sat on my drive. We read the check light and come up with code 13, followed the instructions which were kindly posted on here for me and it said everything was OK (which obviously its not). The other symptoms I have are a speedo that jumps around once it gets above 70, the rev counter says that the rpms are virtually non existant when at idle or stopped at junctions, although the car doesn't sound like its that low and I've been told if the reading was true the car would stall, and when I switch the car off there is a really hot smell to the point that other people turn and stare. However it is driving fine. My partner is now that fed up with it he refuses to talk about it and told me to just sell it but I don't want to, please help!!! By the way I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever so I need things explained in very simple terms so I can explain when I take it to a mechanic. Thanks.

rowhard
03/01/2007, 02:10 PM
Oi Mate, sell your partner!

Really, code 13, Being a JDM, I for sure don't know how or what if any difference there is between the US and the JDM, maybe Joe Black will pipe in here lets hope. I have a OBD code list for our vehicles and all of our codes are P then 4 digits number.
Being that it is all right there in front of you, I wonder if there is a intermittent ground (earth in British speak). Does it happen when you are hitting bumps or does that matter? Your right about the Tach, if it was reading correct, the engine would either stall out or lope, thats why I wonder if it might be something common.

Can you describe the smell.

Taa Taa

Ruflyf
03/01/2007, 05:11 PM
This will sound totally unrelated, but I can personally attest to it being related.

I never got the speedo jumping around, but I did have TOD lights flash and radical tach gauge jumping around.

For me it was all EGR leak related. The jumpy tach was due to the 22mm bolt under the EGR being loose. And the TOD lights flashing on came from air leaking from the connection/pipe that goes between the EGR and the intake.

The jumpy tach became so consistant at being inconsistant I could tell when my 22mm bolt had loosened again by my tach.

My suggestion: Check carefully and closely for any air leaks between the pipe from the exhaust header to the EGR and from the EGR to the intake.

Nick
03/02/2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for replying.

Rowhard code 13 was read by sticking a wire into port 8 and counting the flashes on the check light. It does indeed mean shorted ground but we followed the instructions we were given to find it and drew a blank. Have you any ideas where we should look? The check light is constantly flashing and the speedo always jumps around when you get above 70 mph. The idle when started from cold is fine but once the car warms up it drops.

Ruflyf we have checked the 22mm bolt and that is really tight so it's not that but I will try and check the pipes that you suggested.

uncle_asa
03/02/2007, 11:39 AM
I'd suggest to track the wires to the sensors, check that they don't have cranks, the harness does not contain water inside, etc. Probably disconnect the wires from both sides, install ohmmeter from one side and rock the car, looking on ohmmeter (just to check the wires not shortcircuit during vehicle movement).