PDA

View Full Version : Life of an Ironman

Triathlete
03/04/2007, 03:44 PM
Nope, not talking about a VX!
As most of you know I compete in triathlons! What most of you don't know is this comsumes most all of my spare time. I have competed in over 200 races, which includes 11 Ironmans, throughout the U.S. over the last 15 or so years. My long time goal has been to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Kona. There is a lottery system but I have always felt that if I didn't qualify "legitamitly" that it just wouldn't feel as rewarding, so I've been trudging on attempting to qualify. Last year I finally got a coach to help me organize my workouts a it better. It was the best thing I could have done. I saw immediate results setting PR's (personal records) at Ironman Arizona (was 40 minutes faster than my previous best) and the SOMA 1/2 Ironman (20+ minutes faster than my previous best). Both were my focus races. Along the way I won the series championship for the Tucson Triathlon series, placed in the top 10 overall in sevaral races and recieved All American status from USA Triathlon (he U.S. triathlon governing body). But still no trip to Hawaii. This brings me to the current time. My Ironman training for this year started back in November of last year. My race will be Ironman Arizona on April 15 in Tempe Arizona (would be cool to see all the local VX's parked out on the course cheering!). The last 4 weeks have been some of my peak training weeks (I still have a few more to go) as the race is 6 weeks away from today. So for your reading pleasure this is an example of what I've been doing for the past 4 weeks in addition to working full time...
Feb 5-Feb 11
2:05 in the pool
9:45 on the bike (aprox. 200 miles)...longest ride of the week-85 miles
4:55 in running shoes (aprox 40 miles)...longest run of the week-15 miles
I swam 3 times, ran 6 times, and rode 4 times.
Total 16 hours 45 minutes!

Feb 12-Feb 18
3:00 in the pool
12:00 on the bike (240 miles)...longest ride of the week-100 miles
5:10 running (43 miles)...longest run of the week-21 miles
I swam 4 times, rode 5 times, and ran 5 times.
Total 20 hours 10 minutes!

Feb 19-Feb 25
2:30 in the pool
12:35 on the bike (250 miles)...longest ride of the week-110 miles
5:05 running (42 miles)...longest run of the week 15 miles
I swam 4 times, rode 5 times, and ran 6 times.
Total 20 hours 10 minutes!

Feb 26-Mar 4
2:40 in the pool
10:25 on the bike (210 miles)...longest ride of the week-95 miles in 25mph winds gusting to 45+
5:35 running (45 miles)...longest run of the week-22 miles
I swam 4 times, rode 4 times, and ran 5 times.
Total 18 hours 40 minutes!

Thats a 4 week total of 75 hours 45 minutes!
A few more weeks of that which will include a sprint distance tri (next weekend) and a 1/2 marathon (the following weekend) as tune-up races and then I get to begin my taper...and if all goes well on race day, I'll be making resevations for Kona in 6 weeks!

Just thought I'd share. ;eeky; :deady: ;Dy;

dkmiller68
03/04/2007, 04:03 PM
Billy, I don't know what to say. Maybe, "What drives you?" Do you get dizzy just walking up steps (I used to when I was in peak shape, but I am reluctant to think that it is comparible to you)? Ever been plagued with injurys? You are most fortunate to have good health. Don
PS Good Luck!!!

Triathlete
03/04/2007, 04:26 PM
I get dizzy if I stand up to fast (common among endurence athletes from what I hear)! :bwgy:
Only injuries I have had was the ones that got me into the sport...I had condramalasia(sp?) and tendenitis in my knees when I used to just run. That got me into cycling which got me into duathlon (run-bike-run) which got me into triathlon. I've had back inuries but not because of training. I've become pretty in tune with my body and know when its time to ease up. Plus I do a lot of preventive maintainence...icing, stretching, and anti-inflamatories.
I think my drive comes from wanting to see how far I can go and push myself...plus a "bit" of competitiveness (maybe a bit masocistic also :rolly: )!
I don't take my health for granted...I am very thankfull to be able to do what I do.

ZEUS
03/04/2007, 04:35 PM
How many calories do you have in a day? I used to have 3000 calories a day just to gain muscle mass, but if you are trying to stay lean yet be that active every day... What do you need?

Triathlete
03/04/2007, 04:39 PM
About 8-10,000. About 40% carbs, 30% protien and 30% good fat. Of course there is always room for some ice cream, brownies, or a snickers bar!

ZEUS
03/04/2007, 04:46 PM
GOOD GOD!!!! Even with 3000 calories, I am eating every 2 hours! I have no idea how I could eat 3 TIMES that every day!! What job allows you to exercise and eat all day?

Triathlete
03/04/2007, 05:03 PM
I eat a majority of my food in the morning, during training and at lunch. I don't eat a lot in the evening and try to eat nothing after 8pm. I do a lot of liquids.
As far as job, I am an I.D tech for the sherifs dept. I do mug shots, fingerprints and fight with new arrestees when the need arises! I am on my feet 8 hours a day...not ideal for recovery. But its 40 hours a week mon-fri working evenings. All morning and weekends to train!

CrnCnn
03/04/2007, 05:22 PM
Wow I am a couch potato and really feel so now.

My question to you is .. what drives you? I am extremely interested in MMA(Mixed Martial Arts) and really want to train but cant motivate myself.

Triathlete
03/04/2007, 05:32 PM
I am self motivated for the most part. Of course having a coach crack the whip now and then helps also.
I know that a lot of people will pay to motivate themselves...if you pay you will go so as to not waste your hard earned $$$. Same thing with personal trainers in gyms.
A good way to go about motivating yourself is to set goals. You have the big goal and then set a bunch of smaller, easier to attain goals to achieve along the way. In the martial arts (which I don't know a lot about) it may be reaching belt levels and then a competition.
During the summer I don't have any trouble geting out the door...its sunny and warm. During the winter it can be a lot more difficult...I don't like the cold (this winter has ben nice ecept a few weekends). But I know my Ironman is early in the season so I have to get out the door.

tomdietrying
03/04/2007, 05:33 PM
Man, that is great Billy. You can count on me sending you some positive vibes in April. I know you will do it.
Peace.
Tom

Bimati
03/05/2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for sharing, Billy....that's some incredible stuff.

I like it when VXer's share about themselves....good to get to know you a bit better.

Bim

dkmiller68
03/05/2007, 05:47 AM
Gives me an idea for a post...I'm going to name it "Opening up a Little" and will start it momentarily. You'll be welcome to share something of a personal nature. I'll start with mine. I was struck by lightning (1981).

Ldub
03/05/2007, 08:23 AM
During my time in Kona (83-93) I was always "on the fence" regarding Ironman competitors.
On one hand, they are an inspiration in their dedication & physical conditioning. To be in the crowd at the finish line, seeing these extraordinary men & women of all ages come across the line, is an incredible rush. There is a surreal "elictricity" in the air, the crowd cheering like crazy for every one of them. In many cases, well after the sun has gone down.

On the other hand, are these people CRAZY???...who in their right mind would DO that to themselves voluntarily? The Kona course (except for the swim) is a brutally hot lava field with a ribbon of asphalt running through it. I guess it is kinda scenic between Kona & the airport, but between the airport & Hawi...lava & resorts...& more lava. (cue Paris Hilton...that's hot)

Anyway, since meeting Billy last spring & reading this thread, I have a better understanding & appreciation of the triathlete mindset, but it would still help to be a bit crazy. ;)

GOOD LUCK BILLY !!! :luck: :thumbup:

Techy-D
03/05/2007, 10:07 AM
GOOD GOD!!!! Even with 3000 calories, I am eating every 2 hours! I have no idea how I could eat 3 TIMES that every day!! What job allows you to exercise and eat all day?
A former Coworker (big body builder) ate incredible ammounts, when we went through the drivethrough he would order and the lady would leave to get "our" order. We had to wait for her to return to give the rest of our orders, because she thought it was for the whole car full of us!

I've seen some neat things on the triathon, there was a guy who took his son through the whole thing (pulled him on a raft, extra seat on the bike,...) Major undertaking just to do it on your own! Be the best you can be!

Triathlete
03/05/2007, 10:12 AM
That would be the Hoyts. Very inspirational and will bring a tear to your eye. Everyone always wondered how the dad would do if he raced on his own...the father said he'd never do it on his own, he was out there for his son (who is autistic). There has ben lots of stuff written on Team Hoyt. If you do some searching on the internet you will find some great stuff written on them.

Triathlete
03/18/2007, 08:42 PM
A little update...
last weekend I did a sprint distance triathlon for a tune up race. No taper...just trained through it. This race is the first race in a three race series that uses the same course for all 3 races...great for seeing where your at throughout the year. My PR for the course is 0:59:59 about 5 years ago. I set my 2nd best time of 1:00:54 on tired legs with no speed work...not to bad. I was 21st overall and 3rd in my agegroup. It was a day when a lot of really fast guys showed up to race...my time would have been top 10 and won my agegroup at all 3 races last year! But on Wen. I had a bit of a setback and got sick. Had to take a couple days off. Did a short workout on Saturday and then ran a 1/2 marathon today...also as a training race. I set a new PR of 1:31 averaging 6:59 miles. I was 37th overall (out of almost 900) and 2nd in my agegroup. This course was not friendly for fast times...hills, hills and hills. Tomorrow I will throw in a 90-100 mile bike ride and then I get to start my taper!
3 weeks till D-Day!

Triathlete
04/12/2007, 02:28 PM
Well, the hard work is done. I am now sitting in the gracious home of VCamilo with 3 days till race day. Its nice to be fully rested and ready to go. Registration and a short swim on the swim course (Tempe town Lake) to get re-used to my wetsuit was all that was on the schedule for the day. I have been sitting around puting the finishing touches on all my race gear.
For those that want to folow the race, there will be live coverage at Ironmanlive.com (http://www.ironmanlive.com) . There is also an "athlete tracker" were you can get updates of particular racers...my race# is 1346. The weather looks like it should be hot and windy. Going to be a tough day for everyone...especially those that don't have the luxury of living in the warm desert. :naughty:
All thats left now is a few very easy/short runs/swims or bikes and then the grand finally...2.4 mile swim/112mile bike/26.2 mile run!

...and if all goes well, a trip to Kona Hawaii in October!!!!!!

JHarris1385
04/12/2007, 03:51 PM
Best of luck. I am going to watch IronMan when it comes to Louisville in August. I feel bad for the competitors that have to swim that distance in the Ohio River. But the bike ride will be very scenic.

Triathlete
04/12/2007, 05:49 PM
Best of luck. I am going to watch IronMan when it comes to Louisville in August. I feel bad for the competitors that have to swim that distance in the Ohio River. But the bike ride will be very scenic.

For a true experience you should volunteer! I have volunteered for and have many friends who volunteer and love the experience. If not try to be at the finish line from 11-12pm and watch the final finishers come in. The crowd and anouncers make them feel as good as the winners.

biju
04/12/2007, 05:57 PM
...and if all goes well, a trip to Kona Hawaii in October!!!!!!
best of luck billy!... enjoy every moment...

simply amazing stuff.

-biju.

Triathlete
04/18/2007, 11:11 AM
Well, my day didn't go as planned....but I finished my 12th Ironman.
The day started off pretty good. I was calm (lots of race experience). All my equipment was ready, just had to top off the air in the tires. Took my time, and then got into my wetsuit and headed down to the boat dock where we would enter the water. I was one of the first into the water so I could get a bit of a warm up in and get a good position for the start. The National Anthem was sung and then it was game on...the cannon went BOOM! Off I went in the middle of a flailing mob of swimming bodies...4200 arms and legs going full speed ahead for 2.4 miles. If you've never seen a mass start of 2100 type A personalities for a swim, it is an experience that is hard to put into words. People swimming on top of you, arms hitting you, legs kicking you while at the same time trying to make forward progress and keep some resemblence of a good swim stroke. Oh yeah, and to make it even more interesting the sun was low and in our face! After about 300 meters the swim starts to thin out a bit. As I went around the turn around bueys I took a quick glance at my watch...30 minutes flat. Things looked good. The wind had started to pick up however and started to make the water a bit more choppy. Swam strong on the return leg only to exit in 1:07. 4 minutes slower than last year...not a good start. Payed a visit to the strippers...(they help you strip your wetsuit off...get your minds out of the gutter!) then it was off to the change tent. On went the bike shoes and new aero helmet and then it was off to fetch my bike out of the sea of 2100 bikes. Transition took just over 4 minutes and I was off for the 112 miles of spinning pedals. The first loop (the bike course was 3 loops) felt comfortable. I stayed in my aero position and the wind was not to bad YET! Second loop the wind had picked up and was howling. Still aero and still feeling pretty good. Third loop the wind go wicked on us. The long straight uphill section on the Beeline Hwy had a nice tail-side wind. 30MPH uphill...yahooo! Hit the turn around and it was a full on headwind...15MPH DOWNHILL! Not so fun. But I stayed in my aero position making it a bit easier...if there is such a thing. I was happy to get back into town and know the transition area was getting near. My feet were hurting and I was starting to get some slight cramping in my legs. My nutrition on the bike was good. I lost one of my bottles of "secret stuff" (500 calories) on a big bump on the road, but made it up with energy gels from the aid stations. Back to the transition I dismouted my bike glad to be on my feet. Bike time 5:52...ouch! 16 minutes longer than last year. As I ran into the transition change tent the legs were not functioning quite right. I saw my coach and he asked how I felt. I told him not as good as I'd hoped. Into the change tent I sat down to put on my run shoes. The legs cramped up immediately. So I took the time to rub them out and stretch a bit. Quick stop at the porta-potties and away I went. I actually felt fairly good...until about the 1/2 mile mark. The legs started to cramp again. I stopped and rubbed out the legs again and then resumed the running again. There was lots of people out cheering and giving encouragement...which is always a big help! First loop (of 3) I felt half way decent. Second loop I slowed a bit. The legs did not want to cooperate with the brain but I did not stop running. Consumed lots of Gatorade, gels, salt tablets and water to keep the engine energized. Third lap I switched to coke and water! For the third lap I told myself, this is it..give it all you got left. As I crossed the Mill Ave. bridge for the last time and made the right hand turn into the finish line I was just happy to see the finish tape. A 4:06 marathon...13 minutes slower than last year. Overall time was 11:16...last year was a 10:42. It was a brutal day, but goal 1 is always to finish. 276th out of 2066. The race had a 10% DNF (did not finish) rate. The highest in the 3 year race history.
So now after a couple of days hobbling around with VERY stiff legs its time to get in the pool for a VERY easy swim just to get the blood flowing and assist with recovery.
After talking to my coach after the race he wants me to take a year off from Ironman (somethng he has been trying to get me to do) and focus on shorter (half ironman) races to get more speed in my legs. This will definately clear my calandar for Moab 2008! Then it will be an all out assault on Ironman for 2009...and hopefully a trip to Kona!
Thanks to everyone here who gave me encouraging thoughts! They were all greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, another race tid-bit. While riding (suffering) into the blasting headwind, what song was going nonstop through my head? Christopher Cross..."Ride like the wind"! It actually made me smile.

Triathlete
04/18/2007, 01:15 PM
Wow, I almost forgot the most important part...
Thank you VCamilo for the great hospitality while I was in Tempe!

Techy-D
04/18/2007, 02:06 PM
Glad to hear you made it, and pretty well indeed! Those 1,790 others are right behind you.

"Back to the transition I dismouted my bike glad to be on my feet"

What do you think that bike would have said? :p

Congrats you crazy, crazy, guy! :dance: