PDA

View Full Version : any body know what speed sensors look like?

CoastieCosta567
03/09/2007, 12:45 PM
hey guys, how does the rear speed sensors look like, i got code 24 and the cost to repair from isuzu is 1300 and each sensor is almost 400 bucks, do any of u guys have any clue what they look like and if its possible to clean and if they are broken where can i buy them for cheaper, like is there other GM product to sub it rather then go through the isuzu parts. and if possible how may i fix it my self and if u guys can send me a pic or something of what it may look like? thank you guys.

-CoastieCosta.

ZEUS
03/09/2007, 09:13 PM
I will TRY to describe what they look like... there are sensors located at each wheel - I have seen them listed as ABS speed sensors. On the rear, the sensors are located just above the parking brake cable on the axle flange. There is a little black tube coming out of it which shields two wires - one black and one white. Each sensor is secured by one hex head bolt through a silver mount. You will have to clean up the area to see that the mount is silver though. Check junkyarddog.com and wait up to a week for someone to reply to your needs - if any junk yard in the nation has it and is registered with the service they will email you saying they have what you need. The Trooper uses the same sensors so search using that if you have no luck with the VX sensor search.

CoastieCosta567
03/10/2007, 03:15 AM
thankou so much zues, i have tried everything and cleaned everything, but i didn't try cleaning those cuz i was told they where abs, so i never touched them, i will clean them and see if thats the problem cuz i do remmeber seeing them so dirty the back 1's and 1 of them had like gunk coming out of it. do u know how to take them off and how do u clean them safe so i wont mess them up if they are good? thank you again bro.

-CoastieCosta.

ZEUS
03/11/2007, 01:05 AM
They are pretty difficult to get unseated as they are surrounded by rust. I would clean the area, remove the mounting bolt, and keep squirting penetrating oil around the mount for several days and then pull the tire off and then finally try to take the sensor off. Be careful not to pull the wires loose and be careful not to break the plastic housing when trying to remove it. The sensor itself might be dirty but I would bet the sensor is having trouble because of rust or dirt or something on the axle shaft so you might have to pull the shafts out to inspect and clean them. If you get to that point, you will see how the magnetic sensor reads wheel speed from blocky deviations on the axle shaft and why there may be a problem. As a precaution, keep the sensor from contacting metal while you are working on things. Good luck!

CoastieCosta567
03/11/2007, 03:31 AM
thanks alot, i took 1 out and came out so easy, but for the second 1 i could get it out no matter what, but when i get it out and it don't work, how do i clean the shaft? or i mean how much would it cost me to have a mach.. do it for me? or i can do it my self? tnhank again Zeus.

-CoastieCosta.

ZEUS
03/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Well I am just guessing here really... but if it has enough gunk and rust on it the shaft would just need some brake cleaner shot at it and then maybe some rust remover put on it. You shouldn't need a machinist to do anything, I don't think. To my understanding there is also a speed sensor at the transfer case - could that be the source of your error code?

CoastieCosta567
03/12/2007, 03:27 AM
where do i spray the rust remover and brake cleaner at? and whre in the tranfer case is the speed sensor located at?

CoastieCosta567
03/12/2007, 07:20 PM
hey i cleaned all the sensors and the abs sensors too, cleaned the shafts and even the brakes just for the heck of it. even tried to clear the codes off but still i have the tod cheak light still flashing and the tod don't work, its on lock mode, dont know what to do anymore. the only 2 sesors i didn't do where the 2 front speed sensors but i was the rear thats why i didn't clean them. what can i do now? buy the rear speed sensor, just where is it at and where can i buy for cheap. cuz now i know it's not the speed sensors on the wheels cuz if so then my abs light would be on, but it's not. please any more help any one. thank you for everything Zues, what do u think of it Zues?

etlsport
03/12/2007, 07:23 PM
have you disconnected your battery for a half hour? thats the best way to clear your comptuer, also maybe if youve got someone nearby try swapping wheels/tires with them to see if new tires have an effect

ZEUS
03/12/2007, 09:32 PM
I am not sure where the sensor on the x-case is at. :( I have no knowledge of that piece at all - I just read that it exists. I would just poke around under there and see what you find. But at least your braking system should be working really well now!!!!