PDA

View Full Version : new gig...dream job?

dkmiller68
03/12/2007, 03:39 AM
Got new job 2 weeks past...teaching off road skills in Landrovers...currently getting great training from highest rated LR instructor in North America (only 3 sites in NA)

http://www.biltmore.com/plan/outdoor/daily_landrover.shtml

PS Position is part time.

Ldub
03/12/2007, 06:35 AM
Congrats...how much better does it get than that?
Ok, I guess full time would be better, but still, nice gig...color me jealous! :cool:

etlsport
03/12/2007, 09:21 AM
congrats! that does sound like a sweet gig... ive often thought about how cool it would be to work here http://www.porschedriving.com/home.htm
best of both worlds.. offrading with the cayanne (sp?) and getting track time with the sports cars... mmmmmm

biju
03/12/2007, 10:00 AM
kudo's Don!!!

when's the next time we'll see you in Moab?

Take care...

-biju.

Joe Isuzu
03/12/2007, 11:14 AM
congrats on the new position, just an FYI but I will be in Asheville two weekends from now, the NC Arboretum is doing a spring festival and I've not been before so my wife and I will be going and trying out their bike trails

driver3
03/12/2007, 12:37 PM
I think it's great you teach off-road driving for Land rover.. but drive a VX...lol

Do you show it to your students?

dkmiller68
03/12/2007, 01:41 PM
Haven't started students yet...still training...the LR is very technologically advanced...some real cool features (traction control for one...on a downhill in a specfific gear eg 1 or 2 (NOT D) gear the ABS system turns on at a pretermined speed; BUT, the VX still turns way more heads!!! It has a feature like our winter position (start in third gear) but it could be 2nd or third depending on the terrain you told it you are in (mud and ruts, sand, snow, etc).

driver3
03/12/2007, 02:30 PM
"And this car you see here students, is the new concept off-road vehicle of the future.... "

Chopper
03/12/2007, 03:39 PM
The only way that job gets better, would be to test them to destruction for Ford

dkmiller68
03/12/2007, 06:09 PM
when's the next time we'll see you in Moab?

Not sure...It is a long drive for sure. After my first and only trip in 2005, I talked it up with the Georgia and Flordia Hall of Fame VXers Cryk, Johnney Apollo, and Joe Black and told 'em how I met the west coast Hall of Fame VXers Swordy, Grandpa Bob, Todd Adams, Biju (altho Biju you were just new then) (but now are up there with the heavy hitters) Moncha, billy oliver (triathlete), the texan group Larry (Legemon), Tone, VX girl, and what his name (sorry). I feel lucky to have met both coasts and Texas. Now, I know Colorado isn't west coast but it seems so far from here I'm loosely calling it that. All that being said, Joe got excited and mentioned a big trailer that he could put 3 or 4 VXs on and we'd tow them out there. It never happened (yet). Maybe Joe will read this and get re-excited. It's worth going Joe.

Anyway, no plans this year.

Don

tomdietrying
03/12/2007, 07:48 PM
Congrats Don!
I knew you had some special skills when I met you at Moab a couple of years ago. If you remember when we were 4x4ing, I would try to get behind your VX so I could look at which line you would take. You helped me out a great deal without you knowing about it. You will make a fantastic instructor.
Peace.
Tom

P.S.
and what his name (sorry).........uh, that would be me.LOL

dkmiller68
03/13/2007, 03:54 AM
Tom, Thanks for the nice comments...those 5 years of motocross, hare scrambles, and observed trials must have left a mark on me. Sorry about leaving you (and faithful canine Champ) out...also there was the fellow from Texas dang I remembered it after I posted....now its gone. His ironman had a front winch and rim locks, roof basket among other things. He put it up for sale maybe 6 months after that Moab trip...close frind of Tones. What is his name?
PS Getting this job had little to do with line picking abilities...what they were looking for was an appreciation of outdoors, vehicles, people, communication skills. Among the other new instructors are several people who never off roaded before, one a female grad student (major=teaching). We have several that are diehard offroaders for years (they are blown away by the LR). Plus, my engineering backgroun bring a certain level of awareness in regard to the technolgy. In short, it appears they want to have variety in their instructors soas to place a guest with the instructor must likey to fit their needs and interests.

Scott Harness
03/13/2007, 06:31 AM
Hi Don, you are thinking of Jay Dunford.

dkmiller68
03/13/2007, 07:11 AM
Yes! Thank you Scott. Did he sell his VX? Get another?

tomdietrying
03/13/2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Jay sold his VX and bought a sharp FJ. I think he will be in Moab again this year with his new toy.
Peace.
Tom

geshaw30
03/13/2007, 03:00 PM
Been to Biltmore many a time (family resides in Brevard). Some of the most scenic runs you will ever find are the logging trails in the area. The VX & I will be there again in July and hoping to make a late entry in Brevard's 7/4 car show in town.

Don- are they gonna run that course out by the winery or horse fields? Just curious if it was on or off the actual grounds.

George
________
Ipad Accessories (http://accesoriesipad.com/)

dkmiller68
03/13/2007, 03:16 PM
Some are near the winery (actually nearer the Biltmore Inn). More and longer trails are on the other side (west that is) of the French Broard River but we don't ford (no pun intended) the river...we must drive off the grounds to get there.