PDA

View Full Version : HID Conversion Kit

tysamigo
03/18/2007, 08:47 PM
I'm just learning about HID Kits and never knew much (and still don't) about them. I am going to get a few things from Tonemonday and I saw a HID kit for about $500. When I looked online I found (http://search.ebay.com/H4-35W-12V-HID_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfnuZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3 QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQmppfqyZBiXenonQ20H4Q2035WQ2012VQ 20HIDQQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQssPageNameZ RC0021QQxpufuZx)

where the price is much less. Does anyone know the difference or is there any difference in quality?

If it were a few dollars difference I wouldn't even ask but I've seen a few for $125 or so which is a huge difference and just wanted to know why. Again I'm learning so any input would be appreciated on HIDs.

Thanks

Triathlete
03/18/2007, 09:01 PM
I'm sure those who have them will chime in. You pretty much get what you pay for. Tone has done quite a bit of experimenting to find what works the best on the VX for the price. There are several posts here about it if you use the search. But bad HIDs are bad. They will put out a lot of glare and piss off a lot of oncoming traffic!

kobie
03/18/2007, 10:45 PM
With the HIDS, are there still issues with on coming traffic if the lights are aimed correctly? I am asking because I honestly don't know.

Ldub
03/19/2007, 07:21 AM
What Triathlete means by BAD is, cheap/poorly designed HID kits are bad...the good stuff, like what Tone is currently selling, are great & when properly aimed, there are no issues with oncoming traffic.
I've met countless police vehicles at night & have never been "flashed" (hi beams) or pulled over.

Kenny
03/19/2007, 11:07 AM
What Triathlete means by BAD is, cheap/poorly designed HID kits are bad...the good stuff, like what Tone is currently selling, are great & when properly aimed, there are no issues with oncoming traffic.
I've met countless police vehicles at night & have never been "flashed" (hi beams) or pulled over.

tysamigo,

I agree with Ldub, if you are going to go with HID - either go with Tone or a local reputable dealer who will be there to help you out and provide excellent warranty service like Tone. Those cheap one on ebay may fire up a few times, but I can see them dying fast. Either the ballast will go or the bulbs will die (I'm pretty sure Xenon bulbs have a finite number of times they can fire up as a piece of metal is used up over time as it ignites the gas- like a cig-lighter flint). Then you're probably paying top dollar for replacements - IF you can find them.

HIDs are one of my favorite Mods because it brings the headlight technology up to date with the styling. I think it helps make the car look more like a 2007 or 2008 model. A few cops here I've talked with think the HIDs are stock because the truck looks so new.

As for blinding, I've been blinded numerous times by BMW and Acuras with stock HID - and these are lower cars, so I'm not worried about that issue. But re-aiming is quite easy.

Colour may be an issue, however, too blue or purple might get you into trouble with the law. Tone's diamond white are perfect I think (5500K ?), I have 6500K and they have just a hint of blue.

Good Luck.

Rednex
03/24/2007, 09:56 AM
The ones I have installed (install described here: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9635&highlight=hid) are ~330USD, called OLLO. Two weeks have passed since install, and only noticeable thing is that one lamp now and then sort of jerks. It does not go fully off-on, just slight momentarily drop of light level. Dealer, who sold me the stuff, is ready to replace the bulb, but I haven't had time to visit him at working hours.

Recommendation: don't go w light temperature higher than 6-6.5 KK.
And - get bi-xenon H4. :-)
Also - when installing anything higher than 5KK - consider replacement of front parking light bulbs w slightly blueish 5-LED sets, and "horn" bulbs w 1-LED bulbs of same blueish color.