PDA

View Full Version : long trip preparation

Tobert
03/23/2007, 09:53 AM
I'm thinking about a 2500+ mile trip in my '99 VX and am trying to figure out what all I want to do to it in preparation. It has 110k on it. Besides the obvious fluid flushes, I have the following list:

* timing belt + water pump (I didn't replace them when I did the head gaskets but the belt looked worn)
* new PCV or PCV elimination
* serpentine belt
* O2 sensor
* diff oil to Mobil 1 synth.
* grease anything with a fitting
* rotate tires
* Seafoam treatment (I have the diesel sound too)

Already done:
* new oil pump (thought it was the source of a leak -- wrong)
* EGR cleaning
* NGK Iridium plugs
* transmission filter + synth. fluid
* wheel bearing repack w/ synth. grease
* Mobil-1 engine oil

Secondary/tertiary to reliability, I'm also thinking about the fuel efficiency and cargo loadout. What things can I do to improve fuel efficiency on the highway (I get about 15mpg on average now according to the autometer)? Would manual lockers make a significant difference? How about a high-flow catalytic converter? Would a K&N or similar air filter pay for itself in time? I realize most mods aren't going to pay for themselves in a single trip, but I currently have an excuse to justify the expense to the wife ;)

As for cargo, I plan on the usual cooler(s), clothes, and maybe camping gear so I don't have to pay for motels. I'm also thinking of using a small trailer or one of those hitch-mount cargo carriers that would hopefully have a minimal impact on efficiency. I already have Tone's hitch installed. I've thought about getting a roof rack, but am not sure I really want one. It would be pretty cool to take my motorcycle and mountain bike, but I could live with just the mountain bike if it's going to cost me another few hundred dollars in gas to drag a trailer.

Thanks in advance,
-Al

biju
03/23/2007, 09:58 AM
I love it when I see these kinds of posts/threads. Means there are more VX's out there that are well taken care of... Sweet.

May I inquire where you're headed? (somewhere in utah in may possibly?)

-biju.

Tobert
03/23/2007, 10:02 AM
May I inquire where you're headed? (somewhere in utah in may possibly?)

-biju.

Southern California, most likely San Diego.

etlsport
03/23/2007, 10:08 AM
secondary.. some way to dissapate heat from the floor.. i frequently make 3-6 hour drives in my VX and the heat coming from the floor boards drove me nuts, so dynamat and carpet insulation went in in the footwells.. it helped some but it still heats up somewhere around the 1.5-2 hour mark

if you get a roof rack.. get a fairing.. the windnoise drove me up the wall

Ldub
03/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Upper & lower radiator hoses.
Cooling system flush & fill w/ new antifreeze.
Brakes OK ?
Battery/ charging system check ?

creeg
03/23/2007, 05:10 PM
I would remove the back seats (unless you need them) for more cargo space. And the rear door popper would probably come in handy for a trip like that.

iamjacksadrenalgland
03/23/2007, 05:22 PM
You've probably already thought of this, but good music, be it CD's, mp3's or satellite radio, makes any road trip more fun. This is a great opportunity to beef up your tune collection. I have also listened to a few 'books-on-CD' and was surprised how quickly it made the time go by.

Tobert
03/23/2007, 05:55 PM
Good idea about the radiator hoses. It will be getting it's second antifreeze replacement within a year when I replace the timing belt/water pump. I may refill it with used fluid and take it in for a flush anyways ...

As for the brakes, they're practically brand new having been replaced only a couple months ago.

I'm going to order some dynamat & carpet insulation per etlsport's recomendation. I also just got home and remembered that my driver's side window channel needs to be replaced. It was missing a chunk when I bought it. I might look into some of those wind guards to go on the windows too.

I figure my budget for the trip is a little more than what a plane ticket + car transport would otherwise cost. That's about a thousand dollars ;) Maybe I can work in a subwoofer for my rear door, too.

The other thing I'm planning out right now is how/where to mount my tablet PC. If I hack the docking station, I will be able to have remote USB, Firewire, DVD, Ethernet, and sound.

Has anybody relocated or eliminated the HVAC ducts in the center of the dash?

etlsport
03/23/2007, 06:48 PM
"nuk" did it, very nice looking installation, if you want ive got a spare dash bezel laying around (just the top piece) ill send it to you for 25 bucks its black though