PDA

View Full Version : Brake Smells?

Thejerseyfish
03/25/2007, 01:42 AM
This just turned up today, noticed the ole gal didn't seem right when driving, couldn't put my finger on what it is exactly but you all know the feeling. After stopping I noticed that the driver side rear wheel smells like burning clutch or burning pads I guess. Thought that it was another car, but a little later I noticed again when I stopped.
Anyways, I'm pretty handy with the brakes, although I've never tackled the rear on the VX, juts the front, and the pads are only about a year old, and not chirping or grinding. So I thought that maybe the caliper could be seized and not letting up pressure? The other possible is the emergency brake not letting up. Anyone dealt with a simliar issue before and the best fix for it? Moneys real tight, so if possible I'd like to do it myself. I know that calipers can be rebuilt fairly easily with a seal kit. Hard thing to come by? The E brake not sure how to do. Anyone done it?

Thanks,
Randon

Chopper
03/25/2007, 08:03 AM
Most likely the caliper sticking. Lube the slides, if that doesn't work, rebuild the rear calipers. Cheap, straight forward, do it yourself stuff. Do both sides, and change out your fluid. The E brake is simply an old school drum brake, mini sized, in the rotor hub. Other than an occasional lube (cable etc.) and as long as you don't drive with it on, it requires no upkeep. Wayne

rowhard
03/25/2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Chopper, was thinking about powder coating the calipers but haven't researched rebuild parts and thought I would take the easy way out and see if you have. Are they readily available?

Thejerseyfish
03/25/2007, 11:08 AM
I heard that it wasn't that hard to do, just need compressed air to remove the piston, one thing that I don't have. Anyone done this? Where do you get the parts to do it and time bout how long does it take?

Chopper
03/26/2007, 03:08 PM
The brakes were sourced from Mitsubishi, note the 3 diamond symbol on the casting. Rebuild kits should be readily available.

rowhard
03/26/2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks Chopper, saw that but didn't put two and two together or in this case 3 diamonds - John