PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Shocks

I_Wanna_Retire
04/12/2007, 01:55 PM
Can anybody who has installed these tell me the trick to getting the red boots on the back shocks? Do you have to cut them? I can't seem to get the end part of boot over the metal eye? Signed 'the wuss'

Cobrajet
04/12/2007, 03:58 PM
:mad: Now why did you have to go and remind me of the hell I went through getting those boots on the shocks? What a PITA! I don't even remember how I finally got them on, but I sure was glad when the first one finally slid into place. They're pretty tough, so they can take a bit of abuse while you're yankin' and twistin. and cursin'... (take another sip of your favorite beverage)...and pullin', and and pushin' and swearin' some more. Just don't cut them. Maybe I sprayed the inside of the boots with window cleaner or some other light lubricant.

Hopefully someone else will have more pleasant memories.

Knigh7s
04/12/2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't have to much trouble getting mine on.

DONT CUT IT!

Take a screwdriver and stick it through the EYE. making sure the boot is stretched under the screwdriver. now take a flat tip, stick it under the boot perpendicular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpendicular) to the other screwdriver and use the metal part of the eye as leverage, push away from the shocks (to stretch the boot) and it should just slip right into place.

[edit] I did have to use some force to get it under the eye, the boot seems to be strong enough to handle it to not tear.

Heraclid
04/12/2007, 04:44 PM
Geez, yeah.. that was a little bit of hell to get those on... grrr...

Kenny
04/12/2007, 07:24 PM
I swore too, and used dishsoap as lubricant.