PDA

View Full Version : Need new shocks?

djkymar
04/17/2007, 07:54 PM
Hi gang!
Time is going and my VX getting older every day and all the parts too. Recently i start noticing that when im going like 30-40 miles and turning and there is a small bump or hole on road my stearing wheel starting shaking a lot and sometimes feels like in going to lose control. This NEVER happend before and also i did a little check when car is parked and i would push my front down by my weight it hardly shake before maybe half year ago and now it shakes a lot more like those old buicks. Roads around my area is really bad or i should said horrible and my guess is that i need to change my front shocks even my VX got only 45000 miles or maybe it could be something else? Any ideas?
Thanks

rowhard
04/17/2007, 08:00 PM
See if this helps:
Shimmy, Shake or Vibration Tire or wheel out of balance. Balance wheels or replace tire/or wheel.
Loose wheel bearings. Replace wheel bearing.
Worn steering linkage ball joints. Replace ball joints.
Worn upper or lower ball joints. Replace ball joints
Excessive wheel runout. Repair or replace wheel and/or tire.
Blister or bump on tire. Replace tire.
Excessive loaded radial runout of tire/wheel assembly.
Replace tire or wheel.
Improper wheel alignment. Check wheel alignment.
Loose or worn steering linkage. Tighten or replace steering linkage.
Loose steering gear. Tighten housing bolts.
Tires not adequately inflated. Adjust tire pressure.
Loose, bent or broken front or rear suspension parts.
Tighten or replace the appropriate suspension parts.
Faulty shock absorber. Replace shock absorber.
Hub bearing preload misadjustment. Adjust preload.

VehiGAZ
04/18/2007, 07:03 AM
DJ - yes, it sounds like you need new shocks.

Check to see if the ones you have show any signs of leaking, particularly at the top near the remote reservoir. That's a sure sign that they are blown, but you won't necessarily see any leaking.

New VX shocks are very expensive (like $450 each, last I checked), but Rancho and Bilstein have some excellent and cheaper alternates ($50 - $75 each).

Good luck!

djkymar
04/18/2007, 08:27 AM
VehiGaz,
I actually just remember like 3 month ago i saw some liquid right under front passenger side shock and now when im braking it kinda feels like my front push down towards right side but it might be just my feelings.
So should i just change front shocks or get just a set of all 4 new ones? And where the best place to get rancho`s ones?

rowhard ,
thanks for info ill try chack those things

VehiGAZ
04/18/2007, 09:05 AM
DJ, inspect the other front shock and see if it's in good shape.

If only the passenger side shock is blown, and I could afford to replace it, I would replace just that one with a new or used one (purchased from someone on the board). The VX shocks are one of the most unique things about the truck, so I would keep the good ones if I could (even if it is cheaper to replace all four with Bilsteins versus replacing one stock shock).

If you decide to replace them all with non-stock shocks, the best deals will be on the internet. I bought my Bilsteins B46 series shocks at www.shox.com for about $250 delivered. Search Rancho 9000 for info on their adjustable shocks, which many people here have been happy with.

Good luck!

uncle_asa
04/18/2007, 09:34 AM
All shocks in one thread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=25133&postcount=17

djkymar
04/18/2007, 06:44 PM
well all my shocks doesnt look good so im probably gonna end up changing all of them. So here is question since a lot people got ranchos here and very happy with it will they fit right on or do i have to do any modifications?

uncle asa,
spasibo za link / thanks

rowhard
04/18/2007, 07:20 PM
they fit just fine. The only real problem if you don't have a hoist is getting to the rear top bolt if your thinking of doing it yourself. If you do them yourself, you might look at the tread I just posted on installing the rubber boots. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=97621#post97621

djkymar
04/18/2007, 07:51 PM
rowhard,
yeah im going to install those myself. They should of put those boost on shockes before they send them out lol. Im going to have fun with trying put those boots on it for sure and i dont have beer belly =( thanks for the information
P.S is there any difference between rancho and Bilsteins shocks? or they are mostly the same?

rowhard
04/19/2007, 03:44 AM
use a longer screwdriver!

really, I found installing the boots this way to be a very simple process.

Now, the rear shock top bolts are a B@#$% to get any leverage on IF your working on jackstands. And compressing the fronts to remove them will have you talking to your beloved VX in a very unfriendly manner so be careful working around your CV boots.

Bilstein verses Rancho's, ? Rancho's seem to be the perferred shock for our VX and most offroading vehicles. But Bilstein are, or at least use to be, a fine if not rather expensive choice.

VehiGAZ
04/19/2007, 08:21 AM
DJ, as I've mentioned before, I'm a Bilstein man, but I'll give you as balanced a perspective as I can.

There is one HUGE difference between Rancho 9000s and Bilsteins - the Ranchos are adjustable. That said, I remember someone posting that they are not FULLY adjustable, meaning the dial only adjusts the rebound rate, not the compression rate. I would think the compression rate would be the more useful adjustment, but that is beyond the limit of my understanding of suspension mechanics.

Anyway, while many people are happy with the Ranchos, but not everyone. Some have been unhappy with them because they thought the Ranchos were too soft even at the hardest setting. Who knows if they were adjusting them the right way, though...

Bilsteins B46 series shocks are very comparable in stiffness to the original shocks (I was able to compare them against a stock-shock VX on the same stretch of road on the same day) and they warranteed for life. I got the stiffer H1's all around instead of the recommended (for the Trooper) H2's in front and H1's in the rear. I would reverse the recommended setup by going with a softer shock in the back, but I don't know if they are available.

When purchased on-line, I don't think there is a very big prices difference between the Bilstein's and the Rancho's either.

Good luck!

AndyC
04/20/2007, 06:17 AM
Hey DJ,
I installed the Rancho RS9000 on my VX and have it set to the heighest setting and find it plenty stiff.

As for mileage don't count on those shock not being bad. Mine went out at at in the high 20k. I knew they were going and told the mechanic at the dealer but they claimed they were OK. Well my warranty went out and I checked them myself and guess what, they had leaked and I had no compression on a couple of them.
What got me ticked was I told them when I had full coverage for free replacement but the stated they were good - O-Well
I was worried about the Ranchos before I order them but am happy with them. One note on these is that they are NOT gas charged and do not rebound with pressure.

djkymar
04/20/2007, 09:07 AM
andyc,
good to know info like that thanks.
VehiGas,
Does Bilsteins gas shocks or no?

VehiGAZ
04/20/2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, the Bils are gas-charged.

Now that that's answered, I'll throw out the next question:

What's the advantage of gas-charged shocks?

Other than it's easy to tell when they are busted, and the wonderful feeling of satisfaction you get when you finally get the difficult little bastards installed, what's the advantage one way or another? The gas charging can't add much to the support of the vehicle's weight, right?

PS... Hi Andy! Long time no see @ Costco!

djkymar
04/22/2007, 06:32 PM
i checked out today all my shocks today and now i know that my front passenger side blown for sure and driver side is not to bad but looks like its might be getting there soon so what i was thinking maybe i can change just one for now and than maybe other one? if it need to be changed cuz im broke kinda right now and its hard for me to afford even one factory shock =(

uncle_asa
04/22/2007, 08:37 PM
i checked out today all my shocks today and now i know that my front passenger side blown for sure and driver side is not to bad but looks like its might be getting there soon so what i was thinking maybe i can change just one for now and than maybe other one? if it need to be changed cuz im broke kinda right now and its hard for me to afford even one factory shock =(
Look at the Tokico designed for Trooper. I recently had a ride on friends VX with Tokico and the ride was cool for their price (I believe it was something like $40/shock or even less). They are soft enough when offroading and friend told me that they are hard enough on the road. I have Kayaba Monomax ($50/shock), but I suspect the rear ones dead already, though I replaced them about half year ago. If so, I'd go with comfort series of OME: yellow truck should have yellow shocks ;)). Actually I trust to OME's name ;)

djkymar
04/30/2007, 07:08 PM
VehiGaz,
Well i decide to change just a front ones because my back ones still in good shape and they original so im gonan keep them till one of them blows or something. So i was looking at Bilsteins B46 series at summitracing and thats what i found http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=Bilsteins+B46+series+&searchinresults=false&N=+115&y=15&x=20 which ones should i pick for front?

djkymar
05/03/2007, 07:24 AM
okay question to everybody whats the part number for VX shocks? cuz i need to change mine as soon as posibly cant drive it like that any more

Ldub
05/03/2007, 08:12 AM
Look here : http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sh...ighlight=shocks

Ldub
05/03/2007, 08:17 AM
OK, that link didn't work, try a forums search using "shocks" until you find this thread on page four : The one-stop SHOCK ABSORBER Info Thread

uncle_asa
05/03/2007, 10:27 AM
okay question to everybody whats the part number for VX shocks? cuz i need to change mine as soon as posibly cant drive it like that any more
Frnt B46-1738 H2 (B46-1738 H1 for stiffer front shocks)
Rear B46-1739 H1

djkymar
05/04/2007, 07:00 AM
did anyone order from this site http://www.autocarparts.com/part/819/3568/
and it is sounds right 23 dollars for shipping of 2 shocks?

LDub, thanks i found it

VehiGAZ
05/04/2007, 01:25 PM
DJ, Uncle Asa has the right part numbers. I have the stiffer H1's in front, and I think they could be a tad softer, but I can't say for sure.

$23 for shipping is probably right, since they are probably about 10 lbs each!

Good luck!!

djkymar
05/04/2007, 08:20 PM
interesting when im trying to order those shocks from that site http://www.autocarparts.com/part/819/3568/ they telling me that they are wont fit with VX, i just dont wanna order wrong thing and send it back and pay restocking fee. Could it be their mistake? cuz the part number is right but they saying no.
P.S is there any other good places where i can get 2 front shocks not a set?
Thanks

VehiGAZ
05/07/2007, 07:48 AM
DJ, the place I got mine from (www.shox.com) will sell them individually or in pairs if you call them, which you will have to do anyway if you want the stiffer H1 shocks (since the default selection for a Trooper is the H2). Good luck!

djkymar
05/07/2007, 09:21 AM
Gas,
thanks for help im getting those this week, ill post it when im done with install. Thanks again

djkymar
05/17/2007, 06:59 PM
i called and visit 6 different places past week and none of them have those shocks in stock, they all back order and they will be at the store in middle of june so i think im probly going to wait till they get there. The store that GAZ told me put me in a waiting list so they gonan call me as soon as they comes. Im just wondering why nobody has them are they that good?

xdfarrx
07/31/2007, 06:55 AM
Thought I would contribute...
www.samsoffroad.com
349$ shipped new RS9000xl adjusted rebound circuit. Gas charged. So far I am satisfied. Install wasnt so hard.

AndyC
07/31/2007, 01:13 PM
That's where I purchased mine and go them on a special. Just keep in mind that the Rancho 9000 are not gas charged they are hydraulic shocks. so they don't expand out :) I never installed a set of them before - just gas charged ones. When I opened the first one I thought it had leaked :p After opening all 4, I figured they all couldn't be bad :p
I'm real happy with them.

Andy

xdfarrx
07/31/2007, 04:29 PM
That's where I purchased mine and go them on a special. Just keep in mind that the Rancho 9000 are not gas charged they are hydraulic shocks. so they don't expand out :) I never installed a set of them before - just gas charged ones. When I opened the first one I thought it had leaked :p After opening all 4, I figured they all couldn't be bad :p
I'm real happy with them.

Andy
The RS9000Xl's are gas charged... Cannot be mounted in one up down position, and they do expand out.

You can confirm this with Rancho.

djkymar
07/31/2007, 09:46 PM
after 2.5 month waiting i finaly got ,y bilstains so im going to install those this week. Ill write up how they feel compare with what i have now.

VehiGAZ
08/01/2007, 06:49 AM
DJ - you won't be disappointed. Click here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=61420&postcount=30) for the how-to instructions I posted after I replaced mine with Bilsteins. I wish I had taken pictures and even a video clip or two while I was at it, but I didn't want to get my greasy-dirty paw prints all over our nice new digicam!

Good luck!!

djkymar
08/20/2007, 09:37 AM
FINALY i got my new shocks installed and tested out on different speeds and type of roads and let me tell ya THEY ARE GOOD! I felt the difference after first turn i made and then as farder i drove i like them more and more.Overview is they really worth money and waiting for 2.5 month for me.

P.s Vehigaz, thanks for the how to it was helpfull.

VehiGAZ
08/20/2007, 10:31 AM
Congratulations DJ!

No problem - I'm happy the write up was helpful to you. I'd hate to think all that typing I did on that write-up was a waste. :-)