PDA

View Full Version : Disable AWD to front wheels?

motopsycle7272
05/05/2007, 05:37 AM
Is there any way to disable the AWD to the front axles? I want to do this temporarily for long drives and highway use to save gas mileage.

johnnyapollo
05/05/2007, 05:49 AM
Do a search and you'll see there have been some discussions on this - I believe the concensus was that there wouldn't be a cost savings benifit for gas consumption.

-- John

CoastieCosta567
05/05/2007, 05:55 AM
1st, i did the test and plenty here have.

2nd, u will save only like around 20 miles per full tank.

3rd, It's not safe for ur car, u can end up braking something in the long run.

it did not hurt my car, but i wont recomand, i was told its bad for ur VX. Ands its not a awd but 4wd all the time, just like the land cruiser. all u have is dead waight. but yes u will save, but not 2 much.

ZEUS
05/05/2007, 10:07 AM
I took out the front axle from my VX - that is one way! It is only temporary. To my understanding though, you can unplug something that turns off the TOD but there is no mechanical disconnect to make the VX truly 2wd. Unless of course, you remove the front driveshaft, the transfer case always sends some power to the front wheels... that is why there is not much savings in gas mileage by unplugging the TOD.

CoastieCosta567
05/05/2007, 09:01 PM
the plug is under the passenger seat and its located next to the tod computer, its gray in color and it has a few wires, like three or something close to that. it is separet from the tod comupter, so don't unplag any connecters that are pluging in to the TOD comp. when u unplug it, don't be afried of the check tod light turning on, cuz thats what will happend, and its annoying as He** cuz is blinks. what i did cuz my tod had the rear sensor gone bad i unpluged it and put black wire tape over the light that way i didn't see it, till i got it fixed. and u wont know the diffrence, but u can peel out and stuck and do donuts, but the handaling is diffrent and in the rain it sucks cuz u have less traction.