PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Oil Filter

tysamigo
05/07/2007, 05:27 AM
Hey gang

I came across this and wanted to know everyone's input.

http://sigmaautomotive.com/filtermag/filtermag.php

I'm not very mechancially inclined so any input from those that are is greatly appreciated. What do you think about these products (oil filters, trans filter etc.)? Is this just a "BS" technology or do you think it really works and will be better for my VX?

Thanks for your input...

newthings
05/07/2007, 09:48 AM
If only our oil filter housings were made from plastic, the magnetic field lines would get into the oil and trap any iron particles. Since the filter can is made of steel, the field lines are captured and directed through the steel and never enter the oil. Some field leakage may occur as the steel under the magnet is magnitized, but I find it hard to believe much particle trapping is possible. If someone has done a test or demo, I stand ready to be a beliver.
If you have magnets around you should keep them on steel. This is called a Keeper. It puts less strain on the magnetic domains and will slow the natural decay of the field strength. Think of the Keeper as shorting out the magnet.
I use a magnetic oil drain plug for trapping.
Roy

Mark B
05/07/2007, 10:32 AM
Where can you get a magnetic oil drain plug for the VX?

Ascinder
05/07/2007, 11:07 AM
I think this a good product, and believe I've seen a picture of a cut apart oil filter they have where there are lines of metal particles on the inside of the filter opposite of where the magnets were placed. I would wonder about the validity of these on a modern engine where many of the parts are made of aluminum. Maybe some of our more knowledgeable members like Joe Black and Tone have firsthand experience with these though. I want to say Joe Black also did a few posts about the magnetic drain plugs, or a quick oil drain plug or something.

MZ-N10
05/07/2007, 11:54 AM
there is no real difference then form sticking magnets on ur oil filter. go get like 2 or 3 neodymium(sp?) magnets and ull probably get the same effect and at 1/2 teh cost.

Joe_Black
05/07/2007, 11:56 AM
I'm personally not a big fan of "add-on" junk as it's pretty much snake oil. If you don't think your filtration is up to task as designed by the manufacturer then you need to seriously look at some hard-core racing or industrial filtration. I've used nothing but OEM-quality filters then the Mobil-1 synthetic filters when they became available and have never had any filtration issues, and most of my Isuzus get well over 150K miles with little if any attention other than routine maintenance.

If magnets turn you on though, then look to filters built from the outset to incorporate magnets in their structure where they could maximize their effect on filtered fluid. Several have been posted here over the years so should show up in a general search.

Magnetic drain plugs can be purchased at big-box auto stores like AutoZone, PepBoys etc. and at NAPA as well. I'm a big fan of the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve (www.fumotovalve.com) as it makes changing oil a snap, requiring no tools, especially on my heavy equipment where it's not so easy to get a wrench on the drain plug. Can't say enough wonderful things about the Fumoto!

JHarris1385
05/07/2007, 01:31 PM
IS the fumoto universal or which one should I order. I want one for my VX and one for my mustang and firebird. Thanks. I remember you posting that before but I forgot to buy last time. Wont make that mistake again.

Joe_Black
05/07/2007, 06:43 PM
Just click on the "CHECK SIZE" link on the left side of the web site and it will take you to a selector to find the right side. The last few I ordered were for Mercedes and Detroit Diesel, so I don't remember the Isuzu size off-hand. :rolleyes: