PDA

View Full Version : Tyler's Window Problem

tysamigo
05/17/2007, 01:32 PM
I finally removed the door panel to look at why the window would only go half way up now over the course of 1 month. It was going up and down fine then about 2 weeks after ownership it would go down fine but up very slow. Now upon going up it stops half way and I have to help it. It's also tilting on it's side as it goes up.

For those who may not already know this:
My particular problem is the Window Regulator. On the track are 2 small white plastic pieces that hold it on the track and they have "claws" on the end to hold it on the track. The claws broke and as it got 1/4 up there was nothing to hold it. The window starting pinching.

Isuzu does not sell the parts I need nor does anyone else local. I had to order a new Window Regulator Assembly ($70) where the small parts are already assembled on the unit. I just received it and I'm about to install it. I'll post back the results.

Oh yeah, now my driver side is starting to go slow and sure enough after removing the panel the claw is still there but it is almost worn down to the point of breaking off. :_confused

etlsport
05/17/2007, 01:38 PM
cover that other claw in some kind of epoxy! toughen it up before it breaks, if you spray silicon lubricant in the window tracks it will help... dont use WD-40, that only worked for like 2 days for me then actually made things worse, my problems stopped with a regular lubricating (once every two months or when the windows start to slow)

CoastieCosta567
05/17/2007, 01:43 PM
i used silicon spray, and both my windows work perfect, and it's been 4 months sense i sparyed them. when i bought it they both where stopping half way and u had to tress down on the side to help it go up. but as simple as sprying and 3 bucks, fixed both windows.

WILLY
05/17/2007, 02:08 PM
Hooked on silicon worked for me. :p

tysamigo
05/17/2007, 04:37 PM
OK, well I know all there is to know about my doors and windows :)

Come to find out my claw was not broken at all. In fact, I didn't even need a new Window Regulator and I can't take this one back...

I found out the lubrication does help however...

I have window tint that was done while the window was perfectly UP and all the way in it's track/window seal. As it goes down all is good. When it goes up the window, even with very well lubricated seals, will come off track a bit.

I found the problem. If anyone has replaced or knows about Window Regulators you may know what I'm talking about. As you look at the regulator track when it's installed correctly, the left side of the track has a rail that the plastic claw slides up and down on. The right side, however does not. OK, check this out.

When I applied a little bit of pressure to the right side (simulated a claw being on the right side), the window goes up perfectly!!! However, due to the piss poor design of the track, the right side does not have a rail which means you cannot have a claw on the right side.

This is a freaking design flaw and I'm very disappointed. I will continue to add silicon just as you recommend but even with silicon the window still (both driver or passenger) won't go up perfectly and you can see the mistake due to the window tint.

If anyone has ever modified the regulator track or has fixed this problem permanently where the window goes up perfectly PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Isuzu...for such a beautiful ride, you really did drop the ball on the window regulator design...

Bulldoggie
05/17/2007, 08:41 PM
As you look at the regulator track when it's installed correctly, the left side of the track has a rail that the plastic claw slides up and down on. The right side, however does not. OK, check this out.

When I applied a little bit of pressure to the right side (simulated a claw being on the right side), the window goes up perfectly!!! However, due to the piss poor design of the track, the right side does not have a rail which means you cannot have a claw on the right side.

This is a freaking design flaw and I'm very disappointed. I will continue to add silicon just as you recommend but even with silicon the window still (both driver or passenger) won't go up perfectly and you can see the mistake due to the window tint.

If anyone has ever modified the regulator track or has fixed this problem permanently where the window goes up perfectly PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

First, let me say the passenger and driver doors or mirror opposites. Unless you say it is the driver door or the passenger door, right side or left side should be forward or rearward as you look from the panel side.

I HAVE fixed this problem, it is too much friction in the front window glass guide causing the tilt. The fix is to adjust the regulator rearward. I have pictures in my gallery and search "window fix" for threads with the discription of the adjustments and how to make them.

Total cost < $10.00

You are right. NO amount of lube will fix a bad window alignment.
The Lift arm is guided up and down on the regulator track by the "Claws" that you have descibed.
It is very important that the regulator track is aligned with the window glass guides. Too far forward and the glass tilts (mostly on the way up). That is why when you added resistance to the "Rearward" side it went up strait. Too far inward and the window pinches (the rubber weather strips in the window guide). Left unadjusted it WILL break the window tabs.
The Lift arm doesn't need more claws IF it is in alignment.
The design flaw is the weak inner door skin is too flimsy to hold the regulator in place as it flexes (bends) over time.

DeepSilentComplete
05/20/2007, 04:45 AM
Drat! Well, it happened, one week into ownership and the driver's side window has come off the track completely (but it worked so well the day I bought it...). I was able to get it back into place (back into the track in the up position), but the beast is going into the shop next week to have that and a couple of other items fixed that were on the dealer's list when I bought it. :(

johnnyapollo
05/20/2007, 06:14 AM
This is indeed a design flaw. There's a temp fix for this that's been discussed in other threads - you add stacks of washers (and a longer nut/bolt) to the underside of where the rail attaches to the body subframe - it pushes the rail outward and forces the "claw" to have continuous contact as the window pushes upward. However it's by no means a permanent fix - Joe Black has devised a small part that would fix the issue by providing longer and stronger guide "fingers" for the claw. He tried the first prototype on my VX (made of wood) and the second with adjustments on his own - he's been wrapped up in other projects so he hasn't gotten back to it, but he is getting close to getting these produced - he'll have to chime in to update. I believe his solution is a good one - I'd recommend the temp fix until his parts are available.

In any case, you should all apply silicon spray every-other-month as suggested - it will extend the life of your window regulator.

-- John

tysamigo
05/20/2007, 12:11 PM
GUYS YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!

I fixed the problem. My windows go up and down "smoother than a hounds tooth" (as my old dad would say) :)

I am soooooooo happy!

Thanks SO MUCH for everyone's help and for being here.

I LOVE THIS GROUP!!!!!!

:)