PDA

View Full Version : multiple problems starting & driving

chrispin
05/19/2007, 09:19 AM
I'm a non mechanic with multiple problems:
When starting my 2001 vehicross with aprox. 57,000 miles, I have to turn the key quickly several times then hold the key in for about 8 seconds to start. My other problem is that it will die while I'm driving. Took it to a shop and they replaced the crank sensor, but that did not work. I don't want to fork over thousands of dollars replacing parts. I need to figure out what the problem is. The last shop said it was not the fuel pressure regualtor. I thought that could be the problem. 2 shops $1200.00 no solution. Can anyone help?

etlsport
05/19/2007, 09:42 AM
start simple.. fuel pressure reg, fuel pump and fuel filter are all fairly cheap fixes that could cause slow starts and stalling, maybe intake manifold gasket too

Dino
05/19/2007, 12:32 PM
Also check your ignition switch!! THAT would be my first check as a mechanic. What you described: "I have to turn the key quickly several times then hold the key in for about 8 seconds to start." Sounds like a faulty electrical connection in the switch, hence the "die while I'm driving" scenario.

Think about your service for a moment.They replaced the crank sensor, and it did not help, which means that your crank angle sensor was OK and they MIS-DIAGNOSED IT! In fact, I'd say they just took a shot in the dark just to be able to bill out a job. Why else would you see NO improvement??

To qualify all this info I'm laying on you here, I should mention that it is coming from a lot of experience over the years working in various shops as a mechanic. I'm a good one. I'm honest and I use a more logical approach to diagnosis.

Hope this helps... good luck. :)

chrispin
05/21/2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks
I'll let you know what happens

rowhard
05/21/2007, 05:07 PM
Hey bandit, having fun yet??

I think we as a group will benefit from having you as a member, espically the more you learn about your VX. That shop manual you downloaded, (did you also download the electrical one) is for the 2000, but what I have gathered by all the threads here, the only difference between the 99,00,01 is the 99 had 16 inch wheels and a different climate control, other wise they are the same.

If you want to spend the money, here is a link, am sure you know the name: http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=AIM&Make=AIM&Model=VEHI&Year=2001&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=&mscsid=UG3KJUSQVDQ78J0R3C86KBFX2GD076UD
This is for the 2001, just type your year in.

Back to the orginal thread. I think I would also check out the Ing Sw for contact problems if you have to jiggle it to get contact.

Dino
05/21/2007, 07:00 PM
More than pleased to save folks some time, money and frustration. :p

chrispin
05/27/2007, 08:39 AM
The shop who has my car gave me the codes P0351 and P0355 after checking the site I found out these are both are ignition control codes but prior to me finding the codes they said that the computer needs swapped out. Is this another bad diagnosis. I have not had a chance to tell them to look at the ignition switch but I will do so first thing Tuesday. Everytime I give them places to look they give me the run around. Any thoughts

Ldub
05/27/2007, 04:03 PM
The shop who has my car gave me the codes P0351 and P0355 after checking the site I found out these are both are ignition control codes but prior to me finding the codes they said that the computer needs swapped out. Is this another bad diagnosis. I have not had a chance to tell them to look at the ignition switch but I will do so first thing Tuesday. Everytime I give them places to look they give me the run around. Any thoughts

Find a new shop...these guys sound shady. :mad:

volume311
05/27/2007, 06:09 PM

Def, get a new shop. They seem to be trying to hose you for all you got. Shops like that are the reason most folks that can, do work on their own rides.

Velvis
05/27/2007, 09:10 PM
Submitted for your approval…

Shop Log: 05242007
Billy Ray: WoooHooo! Got codes! PossumOpossum Three-Fiver-One and Three-Fiver-Fiver! That adds up to $706.00 just in “code charges!” Run that sucker again and see if we can’t get us another code payday.

Later, with unsuspecting customer,
Billy Ray: Sorry man, looks like we got trouble. Yer Hoobglometer AND yer Obfuscator are throwing off bad codes. We recommend new tires and an engine swap. We’ll thow in a curb feeler upgrade, no charge! Ain’t that right, Billy Wayne?
Billy Wayne: AMEN, bro

Oops, sorry everyone. I think I uploaded a role-playing exercise from my employee handbook.

Seriously, get a second and third opinion. Sift through and trust the wealth of knowledge on this site, which alone has saved me many times. For example, when you pull into the ISUZU dealership and both sales and service staff guess that your VX is either a new Hyundai or next year’s Rodeo/Amigo, LEAVE! (happened to me)

I have been told to never carry my car keys on a heavily loaded key ring. When you put a lot of weight on the key, it can wear irregularly causing what you describe. My money is on the ignition switch. Was the former owner a Janitor, teenage girl, or Prison Guard? Inquiring minds…

Welcome to the VX family,

Dino
05/27/2007, 10:26 PM
Get that car out of that shop!!!

Velvis
05/27/2007, 10:51 PM
Hey Bandit,
Isn't the "Road to Hana" supposed to be "THE" road to run while in Hawaii? We blazed through it on our honeymoon in 1989 -- fantastic ride. Hope we can get back to the islands someday.
v

chrispin
06/09/2007, 09:09 AM
This week I am having it towed, not sure were, but they replaced the igintion switch and it ran for an hour and died again. Now it won't start. They spent a few hours checking power and found that there is power to the fuel pump but no power from the fuel pump back to the computer. Any thoughts??? They also found that it was not the computer because they put a new one in and same problem so they took it back out. What about the ignition kill on the alarm?

Dino
06/09/2007, 09:49 AM
You need a good, reputable, automotive electrical diagnostician.
Seriously. :rolleyes:

I've done plenty of that type of work. I could probably find the problem in person, but it's very difficult over a forum. I'll give you what I can though. ;)

I'm thinking that there is a weak electrical connection somewhere. Weak electrical connections get hot. As they get hot, the resistance goes up, it gets hotter and evetually it becomes intermitent. Tough to locate.

Finding this gremlin has to be done systematicly really, with a wiring diagram.
First, when it fails, it must be determined what exactly is failing. Is it ignition as in no spark? Is it no fuel flow? Is it a sudden drop in fuel pressure?

These are the things I don't know yet. Knowing that would help.

I'm not so sure what the hells your shop guys mean by ..."found that there is power to the fuel pump but no power from the fuel pump back to the computer.?????? Back to the computer??? That's a new one to me. This is where I need a wiring diagram, and my eyes and hands on the vehicle.

chrispin
06/09/2007, 10:09 AM
He is writing a report on what he did and where he thinks the problem lies. ???When I get this on monday I will write it in this post. He said that he has gone through every wiring diagram he could find on the vehicle. I believe he said fuel pressure was okay. thanks for your help

Dino
06/11/2007, 09:21 AM
No worries on the free advice. I really do enjoy the challenge! :rolleyes:

Ever listen to Car Talk?? I'm the guy listening saying... "I know.... I know.. it's the diaploobis valve!!" :p ;)

Of course, half the show is about their humor and making us laugh at our own cars.

chrispin
06/12/2007, 03:01 PM
Well here it is:
No power from thte PCM to fuel pump relay, short sending power to the start circuit. ck fuse box for shorts, none found, keyless enrty seems to be shorted to ground. 9V feeding back to start circuit when key is on

Ialso had the car towed to an isuzu shop in Pittsburgh they are to work on it Wednesday or Thursday after I have a conference call with them about the issues.

Thank you

Dare2Dream
08/06/2007, 04:04 PM
Did you ever find out what the problem was?