PDA

View Full Version : Fall Vx Camping Meet

Triathlete
05/20/2007, 08:37 PM
Where: Mogollon Rim Arizona (just north of Payson) with a side hiking trip to Tonto Natural Bridge
When: November 3rd (Sat) and 4th (Sun)
Why: Do we need a reason? See VX's, Meet their owners, just hang out, enjoy the scenery...
Bring: You, VX, camping gear, food, CB or FSR radio, comfy hiking shoes
The small details will be posted as the time gets nearer.
The camp site requires some very slight off roading (its a dirt road) so your VX will get dusty. No Mods are needed. A stock VX (or pretty much any car that does't sit on the ground) will do just fine.
The weather will be great...upper60's to mid 70's during the day and upper 30's to mid 40's at night. The camp fire will keep you warm though!

We will meet at the Tonto Natural Bridge State Park parking lot at 9:00am. Spend a few hours hiking around the Bridge, hang out and then head up the road a bit to the camp site.
There will be a caravan from Phoenix...meet time and place TBA.

So who will be coming up, down or from either side to join in?

Participants...
;Dy; Triathlete and wife
;Dy; Cryonman
;Dy; VCamilo
;Dy; TucsonVX
;Dy; VXCaver
;Dy; SBC and wife
;Dy; Thaverland
;Dy; phx99blackvx
;Dy; Uncle Asa

Possibles...
CrnCnn :thumbup:

Knigh7s
05/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Count me in!

VCAMILO
05/21/2007, 07:31 AM
Me too! Only I know where the secret camping spot is... :cool:

Triathlete
05/21/2007, 08:28 AM
Bring all the Reno/Nevada VXers along with you Knigh7s! :dance:
We could have caravans coming in from the north and south!

TucsonVX
05/21/2007, 12:30 PM
So like great place to meet.

Triathlete
05/21/2007, 12:48 PM
Clear your calandar Jeff! You've missed the last few.

Triathlete
05/23/2007, 06:52 PM
Come on...everyone knows they want to be HERE (http://media.putfile.com/VXs-on-the-RIM) !!!!

Moncha
05/23/2007, 07:05 PM
I put it on the calendar Billy.

FYI, I changed it so everyone can post events..

Triathlete
05/23/2007, 08:00 PM
Thank you much! :thanx: :thumbup:

Dino
05/23/2007, 08:21 PM
Do ya think I can get my VX up to enough speed to skip it across the ocean??

I lived in AZ for 15 years... Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa... I put about 20K miles of AZ fire road excursions on my hotrodded Type 4 VW Bus!! 30 minutes on Beeline Hwy and the city was behind me!!

I see the pics of The Rim and Moab in the Gallery and I get homesick for the southwest. :(

Hawaii is lots of fun, but Maui is really only about the size of the greater Phoenix area!! You can get in about all the four wheelin there is in a week... unless you know someone who knows someone and have keys to locked ranch gates. :_brickwal

BUT... the roads are enough of a challenge in and of themselves to merit owning an off road worthy vehicle.... such as a VX! :_steering

I wish you all the best of F U N!! Say high to the rim for me!! Bark at the moon!!!!! :cool:

Triathlete
05/23/2007, 09:34 PM
If theres a will theres a way! Your always welcome to join us! :bwgy:

Triathlete
05/30/2007, 01:05 PM
The weathers going to be great!

Triathlete
06/04/2007, 10:54 AM
CrnCnn is a possible!

Triathlete
06/24/2007, 09:03 PM
To the top for all the rest of you that want to climb aboard the bus! :yesy:
Roadtrip! :thumbup:

Triathlete
07/07/2007, 08:07 PM
Just got a PM from SBC...he's on board for the trip! :thumbup:

Triathlete
08/04/2007, 07:10 PM
3 months to go...

Anyone else thinking about joining us?

uncle_asa
08/05/2007, 04:04 AM
Most likely me with remote controlled VX :bgwo: Need to check if more VXs still available at store where I bought mine, so I can leave one or two to you, guys :-)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/ticket.jpg

Not a Photoshop!

Triathlete
08/05/2007, 09:08 AM
Alexander, if your in the area you are definately welcome to join in. I'm sure we can find an extra seat, sleeping bag and tent for you! :bwgy:

cyronman
08/05/2007, 11:40 AM
Anyone else thinking about joining us?

Triathlete-
I'm considering it.
It will probably end up being a last minute decision, but I will keep it in mind.

Asa-
you have any more pics of that RC VX up there ^ ?

Triathlete
08/05/2007, 11:52 AM
Cryonman, we'll put you down as a possible maybe ;Dy; Would be cool to meet you there!

Knigh7s
08/09/2007, 06:30 PM
I might be bringing a friend or two... Just one Vehicle tho :)

CrnCnn
08/09/2007, 08:25 PM
You can leave me as a possible, but i maybe going to Mexico for work in that time frame.

Triathlete
09/02/2007, 06:41 PM
About 2 months to go!

Thaverland has signed up to join us! Another Phoenix area VXer. Glad to have you on board for the trip.

That makes 7 + possibly 2 more VX's for the trip.

Triathlete
09/15/2007, 08:21 PM
Looking for a bunch more VXers...I know your out there and want to come!

Only about 6 weeks to go!!!!!

Triathlete
09/20/2007, 10:41 PM
phx99blackvx is in!

In case you didn't do the math that makes 8-10 VX's so far...Don't miss out! Come on...I know there are others in the vicinity. The weather will be cooler and the scenery awesome!

Triathlete
10/09/2007, 10:54 AM
Okay, less than 4 weeks to go.
For those who will be pasing through Phoenix and want to join in the caravan...
We will meet Saturday morning at 6:15am
Meeting place will be the parking lot on the NW corner of Warner and Dobson Rd.'s
This will give us a litle leave way for a gas stop and a stop for last minute food, etc. in Payson before meeting up with everyone else at the Natural Bridge.
If anyone will be in Phoenix Friday night and would like to get together for a bite to eat let me know and we can work out a place and time.

Triathlete
10/09/2007, 10:59 AM
If you have any questions or need directions let me know.

uncle_asa
10/09/2007, 01:54 PM
I'm in! At least for one day, but most likely for both :)

Knigh7s
10/09/2007, 02:40 PM
The closer we get to the "go" date, the more it looks like I won't be making it out there... :(

phx99blackvx
10/09/2007, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

Glad to see were still on for the meet. Do we have reserved camp site(s) for saturday evening with the understanding that it will be tents and sleeping bags.
As for dinner, If anyone would like to meet up for dinner the night before, I would like to be in on that. I know that our meet place is in the east part of town, but for friday dinner, if I can make a suggestion, In Glendale, aprox 58th ave and Glendale, there is this fantastic German restraunt called Haus Murpheys, The food is outstanding, the atmosphere is baverian. I will be up for dinner no matter where it is, but I do think the place is worth the little extra drive if your in the area, just a suggestion. I will follow up on the post for dinner.

See ya in November :)

Triathlete
10/09/2007, 10:50 PM
Knigh7s...that is to bad. Hopefully things will change and you'll still be able to attend. Keep us informed.

Alexander...are you going to be in Phoenix on for your job again? That is cool. Will you be needing a ride? Will you be needing any camping equipment? Let us know if you need anything. Will be nice to see you again.

phx99blackvx...we will see how many want to get together. But that sounds alright to me. We will figure it all out as it gets closer and we know who will be chowing down with us!

VXcaver
10/10/2007, 07:11 AM
Haus Murpheys - I'll vote for that! It's hard to find good German food. In all of Tucson there's not one German restaurant any more.

Alexander - I have plenty of spare camping gear if you need anything.

uncle_asa
10/10/2007, 08:51 AM
Alexander...are you going to be in Phoenix on for your job again? That is cool. Will you be needing a ride? Will you be needing any camping equipment? Let us know if you need anything. Will be nice to see you again.
This time just for vacation :D Things were changed and now I work for the different company, but I still have friends in Phoenix area and have enough bonus miles for the flight :) Also, I still have a dream to walk from one side of Grand Canyon to another (that planned for November 10th or 11th from North to South Rim ;)).

I will check with friend who be hosting me during my trip if he has sleeping bag for me (will I need anything else except of wear and food? :)).

Triathlete
10/13/2007, 09:13 PM
3 WEEKS TO GO!!!!
:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Triathlete
10/18/2007, 09:20 AM
For everyone who is going to go to the meet let me know where you will be joining us....Phoenix to caravan up or at the Tonto Natural Bridge parking lot. This way we can make sure we leave no one behind.

If anyone needs directions to either of the meet spots let me know.

Also anyone else up for dinner Friday night in Phoenix...looks like Haus Murphy's will be the spot. phx99blackvx, can you post the adress for us? How does 5:30pm sound?

See everyone in 16 days!

cyronman
10/18/2007, 11:15 AM
Tri-

Don't take me off the 'maybe' list yet...but I'm all for in on this thing.
Since Saturday morning starts so early, I'd plan on getting in Friday afternoon.
So, I'd be down for dinner.

Could you recommend a decent place (or area rather) to stay Friday night?
Then again, the meet time is so early I could probably sleep in the VX!

Triathlete
10/18/2007, 11:54 AM
Tri-

Don't take me off the 'maybe' list yet...but I'm all for in on this thing.
Since Saturday morning starts so early, I'd plan on getting in Friday afternoon.
So, I'd be down for dinner.

Could you recommend a decent place (or area rather) to stay Friday night?
Then again, the meet time is so early I could probably sleep in the VX!

Sounds good....anyone got a spare couch?
Any of you Phoenix guys got any sugestions?

Triathlete
10/20/2007, 05:06 PM
TWO WEEKS TO GO!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

phx99blackvx
10/23/2007, 05:08 PM
Hello all, Sorry so late on follow up.

The address for Haus Murphys:
5739 W Glendale Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301
(623) 939-2480

www.hausmurphys.com (to see the menu)

Glendale ave is a main road off of I17 that runs through the middle of Phoenix. If you are coming off of I17, you would exit off on Glendale ave and head west. The resturant is located in downtown Glendale, which is quite quaint. There is plenty of free on street parking on the side streets.

The pros to 5:30 will be that seating shoud be quick, the Cons is Rush hour traffic in Phoenix, but then again, I have never thought it was all that bad for the 5th largest city in USA.

I will check back the day before we meet for dinner and try to get headcount and call ahead, so If anyone wants to join us, please respond with the number of bodies.

See everyone soon,

Derek

SBC
10/25/2007, 03:40 PM
Triathlete
We will meet up with everyone at the Tonto natural bridge parking lot ! its still on for 9:00AM???????
Should we bring firewood? never been up there so i don't know what the dead wood pickings are like

VCAMILO
10/25/2007, 04:42 PM
Im on the other side of town (Chandler) so it would probably take me more than an hour to get there. I can probably get off work early to be able to make it.

Fire wood? Yes bring a bag or two. If everyone brings a bag that would be cool. There is always wood around when I've been there.

I also have to go to 'first friday' art festival just north of downtown phonenix that night. A friend has a new gallery and I promised Steph that we would go. If anyone wants to joing us and walk around for an hour or so let me know. I will be heading there after dinner or around 7-8pm.

Triathlete
10/25/2007, 10:20 PM
I'll join you Victor as long as I don't have to get dressed up. I won't have my tux's with me...only camping clothes!

VCAMILO
10/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Its an outdoor event thru the streets of phoenix. The galleries are open for folks to wonder in and out. http://phoenix.about.com/cs/enter/a/firstfriday.htm

I will probably have to head back from the campsite at around 11am because I have a basketball tournament to go to. One of the players busted his knee cap and we now have only 5 players. That should put me back in Phoenix at around 1:15pm

Remember to bring a little bit firewood everyone.

Triathlete
10/29/2007, 02:11 PM
LESS THAN 1 WEEK TO GO!

Victor, the way you drive you shouldn't have to leave till 12:30!;eeky;;Dy;

Still need to know where everyone is meeting us.
I am going to assume me, Victor (VCamilo), Bob VXCaver), Jeff (TucsonVX), phx99, SBC, Alexander (Uncle Asa) will be meeting at the Phoenix meet spot.

Thaverland....you're still showing, right? Haven't heard from you lately.

Cryonman...you still going to make it?

Knigh7's???

Any of our Nevada maybe's???

Alexander...is there any camp gear you will need?

CrnCnn
10/29/2007, 03:02 PM
Any of our Nevada maybe's???

Not me, I gotta save some of my time for my Christmas trip to Tucson. Maybe some of you southern AZ VXer's will be able to meet up for a drink.

Triathlete
10/29/2007, 03:20 PM
CrnCnn...bringing the VX! Tucson wheeling in December is a possibility also!

Triathlete
10/29/2007, 04:00 PM
Just checked the weather for this weekend up at the area we will be in...

Highs in the low 70's and lows in the upper 30's/low40's.
Should be very nice during the day with crisp nites perfect for the campfire!

CrnCnn
10/29/2007, 06:17 PM
CrnCnn...bringing the VX! Tucson wheeling in December is a possibility also!

No sir. Flying in.:(

Triathlete
10/29/2007, 09:57 PM
Well we might just have to take you on a little trip! Keep us updated on when you'll be here and have some free time.

SBC
10/30/2007, 12:13 PM
Will meet up with everyone at the Natural Bridge Parking lot at 9AM

Still need to know where everyone is meeting us.
I am going to assume me, Victor (VCamilo), Bob VXCaver), Jeff (TucsonVX), phx99, SBC, Alexander (Uncle Asa) will be meeting at the Phoenix meet spot.

Triathlete
10/30/2007, 02:37 PM
Will meet up with everyone at the Natural Bridge Parking lot at 9AM

Alrighteeee...we'll see you up there!

tomdietrying
10/30/2007, 07:57 PM
Billy,
I wished I lived closer. I would love to make it.

Sounds like it maybe almost as fun as Moab. Can't wait for the pictures. Have a great time wheeling.

Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
10/30/2007, 08:15 PM
Tom, this trip is less on the wheeling (pretty much a dirt road) and more on the hiking, camping and hanging out with other VXers. Fun for sure, just a different type!
I will see you in Moab...I'll drop you an email when I get my plans together to see if you want to join me pre ZuZoo for some hiking and Mt. Biking!

Triathlete
10/30/2007, 08:25 PM
For those coming, I will be checking this post daily (up til noon Friday) to answer any :?::?::?::?: you may have.

uncle_asa
10/30/2007, 09:24 PM
Alexander...is there any camp gear you will need?
My friend found sleeping bag and pad for me. Hopefully I will not in need with anything else. 3:30 till the trip to airport... :)

cyronman
10/31/2007, 02:19 PM
Tri-

I'm still gonna have to confirm at the last minute, but as of now I'm aiming to go!

Triathlete
10/31/2007, 03:06 PM
Cryonman..."You can doo eet"!:_steering

Knigh7s
10/31/2007, 07:01 PM
Im out. I was so ready for this trip too! I have all my gear and everything packed since June-Julyish. Garrr! so mad! I really wanted to meet some of you... :( share some ideas and what not...

uncle_asa
11/01/2007, 10:11 AM
Arrived Maricopa, AZ this morning ;)

Brought 3 RC VXs to left to you guys as gifts. One comes without batteries (6AA and 1 PP3 (9V) required), 2 other requires Euro to US plug adapters for chargers (the chargers should work with 110V according to specs). Sorry, that would be left on your expenses :)

Triathlete
11/01/2007, 10:38 AM
Very cool Alexander! See you soon!
You said you have a sleeping bag..do you need a tent? Let me know, I have an extra.

cyronman
11/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Who's got dibs on the RC VXs?
Not me I'm sure, but I would love to have a little VX to take camping and to the snow!

cyronman
11/01/2007, 10:46 AM
Tri-

Does anyone have a portable grill or stove they will be sharing, or is it every man for himself?
Or will we be cooking by campfire?
Or MRE's?
;puke:

Also, is it dog-friendly?

Triathlete
11/01/2007, 11:02 AM
I will have a grill to put over the campfire (MMmmm,steak!) and I will have my camp stove also! If any one needs to use it they are free to. MRE's=;puke:

I don't think the dog will be a problem. Not sure about at the Natural Bridge though...let me check their website.

Triathlete
11/01/2007, 11:06 AM
From the Natural Bridge website...

Dogs are not allowed on hiking trails in the creek or under the bridge.

At the campsite they would be okay.
The trail down to the bottom of the bridge is really cool though!

VCAMILO
11/01/2007, 02:39 PM
RC VX's where? hum... Who are the organizers again? Hey Billy I upgraded my GPS to have have the outdoor tracker feature. We should be able to have longer trails and not get lost the last 4 miles.

Triathlete
11/01/2007, 04:45 PM
We should be able to have longer trails and not get lost the last 4 miles.

Sure, just take all the fun out of it! :rotate:
Besides with our navigating skills we never get lost :rolly:...

...too often!:laughy:

uncle_asa
11/02/2007, 01:31 AM
Very cool Alexander! See you soon!
You said you have a sleeping bag..do you need a tent? Let me know, I have an extra.
Probably yes, but I never tried to install it :)

Triathlete
11/02/2007, 09:28 AM
Are you going to join us for dinner tonight Alexander?
I'm sure we can figure that tent out!

uncle_asa
11/02/2007, 10:45 AM
Are you going to join us for dinner tonight Alexander?
I'm sure we can figure that tent out!
Sorry, no. I was invited to another dinner (too many friends in area to meet during the vacation :))

phx99blackvx
11/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Hello all

Due to an unexepected change in employment status, that occurred today at 11:00 I will not joining up with you guys at all this weekend. I am so sorry about the late notice, but I did not know that I would have major life change this afternoon. Hope all have fun.

Triathlete
11/02/2007, 12:41 PM
Well, looks like the dinner is off.
That is too bad about your job phxblack. Hope everything works out for you.

Triathlete
11/02/2007, 12:50 PM
Cryonman...Check your EMail/PM's.:thumbup:

Triathlete
11/02/2007, 01:35 PM
I am on my way to Phx. Will try to check this thread later tonight.

See everyone!!!!!!!