PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

WiSDoM
05/21/2007, 06:58 PM
I was involved in an accident on january 30th. i was stopped at a RRCrossing and was hit from behind from a Semi. Only 1500.00 worth of damage to the Vx. thank god for the reese hitch. I how ever am suffering from a Bulging L5 disk with a annular tear which is hitting the nerve. needless to say it is painful. I have been going to the chiropactor for 3 over months. I have had a Xray and MRI. I am doing IDD therapy for 3 more week and then will have to see where it goes from there. My medical bills will be around 8000.00 My insurance company is handling most of the medical for know and will recover the loss from the other insurance compay. My question is has anyone had a similar jury or experience? Do you recommend getting a lawyer to hand the settlement? has anyone here settled a back injury claim only to have major back problems later? Some friends have told me to settle myself without a lawyer but i am not sure what i am getting into as far a a settlement offer.

any advice would be apperiated

thanks

etlsport
05/21/2007, 07:31 PM
in aug 05 i was involved in a serious accident where i was clipped by a bus on the interstate which caused me to fishtail, eventually lose control into a spin and ultimately roll the car twice at 70mph... i was taken to the hospital via medivac unconscious with a 9" gash across the top of my head and at the time they thought a skull fracture.. 6 days in the hospital later and i was able to be released but not able to stand/walk more than a minute on my own, took about another week before i was able to do any kind of physical activity on my own, now im more or less back to how i was before except a 9" scar on my head, being limited to 3 miles or less on my runs (used to do 5-7) and a mild fear of buses and big rigs.. anyway insurance offered to pay my medical bills only, i got a lawyer and within a couple weeks i got a hefty settlement.. which paid for my VX and a majority of college... my lawyer also got me all of the insurance money back from the totaled car, which was supposed to be released to the estate of my father (car was in his name and he had passed 2 weeks prior, so it wasnt switched over) if the money had been released to his estate, i would never have seen it

tom4bren
05/22/2007, 10:22 AM
Back injuries are nothing to monkey around with. Get a lawyer & make sure he gets a settlement that will cover future surgury if needed. My wife had 2 back operations in a year that we ate several grand on "out of pocket" expenses. Her injury wasn't caused by an auto accident but by a very bad tumble on slippery rocks. If a slip and fall can cause that kind of damage - just think what an auto accident can do.

WiSDoM
05/22/2007, 06:50 PM
thanks guys