PDA

View Full Version : Vx Sux

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
05/23/2007, 02:46 PM
My tranny went out today. I had the damn thing 6 months and only had 80 thousand miles on it. $5200 for a new tranny from isuzu and that is without labor. I am wondering if getting my dream car was worth it. ****!

JHarris1385
05/23/2007, 02:51 PM
Should have paid more attention before you purchased it.

Anita
05/23/2007, 02:54 PM
jeez..sorry to hear that. 5200 sounds damn high

Locomigo
05/23/2007, 02:57 PM
www.car-part.com

change it out yourself.

We replaced Steve (The Mayor) right before leaving for Moab in a day and he spent $700. It had the t-case attached as well, so BONUS.

You are looking for a 4L30E tranny. It can be from anything (VX, Trooper, Amigo, Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Axiom) 97+.

The 4L30E is a POS GM product and those trannies FULLY bring the suck. I will most likely be in the market for one myself.

Locomigo
05/23/2007, 03:04 PM
DO NOT GO TO AAMCO, STAY FAR FAR AWAY!!!!

That is where Steve went the first time he had tranny issues. Fast forward 13 months, and it was dead, because they did not take the time to rebuilt it properly, and took his $1200.

Buyer Beware...

nfpgasmask
05/23/2007, 03:05 PM
How does this happen? Is it from lack of maintenance, excessive offroading exertion, or is it really just a crap GM tranny? These types of things scare me.

Bart

Locomigo
05/23/2007, 03:09 PM
1) Crappy GM tranny
2) Overheating the oil/Torque Converter - highly recommend a supplemental tranny cooler
3) The shift solenoids go bad, there are 2, high and low (1/2 gears, 3/4 gears)
4) Get regular flushes, and change filter once a year.

Maintenance isnt hard to do, and the filter can be done yourself in the garage.
Above all, these are the worst trannies GM ever made.

Ascinder
05/23/2007, 03:11 PM
I have heard that above all else, heat kills trannys, per the guy at the transmission shop I go to. So get an additional aftermarket transmission oil cooler.

nocturnalVX
05/23/2007, 03:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your VX... I know an unexpected expense like this is rough, but any older vehicle can cost $$$ to keep up. I hope you get your VX fixed & enjoy it for many years. Good luck!

etlsport
05/23/2007, 03:59 PM
how hard is it to install a tranny cooler/how is it done, i see them pretty much every time i go to the parts store and think id like to get one each time.. but don't know what kind of undertaking it is

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
05/23/2007, 05:40 PM
The truth is this is my f'n fault. I was told to get a trannie service by my old *** alcoholic republican mechanic, who has been wrenching on my cars for years. I put it off two weeks ago, and was planning to do it friday/ this weekend-ish. So I knew, this was a possibility. But damn, the tranny fluid looked like dirty mud with glitter. I love that f'n car so I am gonna bite the bullet and ride the process. I have it at the best tranny mechanic in Scotts Valley, where I am from. He did not want to do it at first when I called and asked him, but my old *** alcoholic republican neighbor called him and talked him into it.I'll keep you all posted and given the way things go for me..I am sure it will keep ya all entertained.

Ldub
05/23/2007, 06:19 PM
He did not want to do it at first when I called and asked him, but my old *** alcoholic republican neighbor called him and talked him into it.

Wow, I hope I can do you a favor some day, so you can refer to me in such glowing terms...

Moncha
05/23/2007, 06:38 PM
What's wrong with an old *** alcoholic republican??? Would a new *** alcoholic democrat have told your differently?? Maybe you should take it to a bad *** alcoholic bi-partisan and everything will be ok.

**Takes tongue out of cheek**

;eekb; ;eeky; ;eekr; ;eekp; ;eeko; ;eekg;

djkymar
05/23/2007, 06:47 PM
2) Overheating the oil/Torque Converter - highly recommend a supplemental tranny cooler.
I would get one if its worth money and time and all that.
Sorry to hear that about your VX hope you will fix it somehow and get back on roads.
P.S this year a lot of VX`s getting into some problems that cost a lot of money. :( :mad:

IndianaVX
05/23/2007, 08:26 PM
Would a new *** alcoholic democrat have told your differently??

no, he would just tell you that the transmission is good, but it should be replaced, because before it was bad, it was a good transmission......:rolleyes:

ok, ill quit now........:)

MZ-N10
05/23/2007, 09:34 PM
perfect time for a stickshift conversion

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
05/23/2007, 10:34 PM
no, he would just tell you that the transmission is good, but it should be replaced, because before it was bad, it was a good transmission......:rolleyes:

ok, ill quit now........:)

Ok I did not want to start a political debate.I was just being descriptive, and If you met my neighbor Dave you would find him you be exactly what I am describing. He is one of those dudes who drinks to exess and starts talking pollitics. Good mechanic but a bit of a windbag. I used to work with him 10 years ago and we now live in the same neighborhood. He is a real car enthusiast, and even has the same Lotus from 007 "The Spy who loved me".In any case, I trust him with my cars.

Locomigo
05/24/2007, 06:35 AM
Ok I did not want to start a political debate.I was just being descriptive, and If you met my neighbor Dave you would find him you be exactly what I am describing. He is one of those dudes who drinks to exess and starts talking pollitics. Good mechanic but a bit of a windbag. I used to work with him 10 years ago and we now live in the same neighborhood. He is a real car enthusiast, and even has the same Lotus from 007 "The Spy who loved me".In any case, I trust him with my cars.

Fair enough, but save yourself some MAJOR coin and have him swap in a replacement through a salvage yard search that I linked you to.

Why rebuild and go through that effort, time, and expense when there are MANY more viable options out there that can be done easier, quicker, and far less expensive?

IndianaVX
05/24/2007, 07:04 AM
lol......i am just messing with you ....

anyway it sounds like he is what i call a "time sponge". time sponges are generally good folks, but absorbe time from your life when asked the simplest of questions.
loco is right, look thru the salvage yards, and match one up there and save your cash.

Locomigo
05/24/2007, 07:39 AM
Just remember that you are NOT restricted to VX and/or Troopers.

All Isuzu 97+ w/V6 4x4 will match up, and I saw several on a quick search I did for myself <$750.
Make sure it has a torque converter, and you replace all fluid and fliters.

Good luck, and it can be done on a long day/within a weekend. Get in there and help, learn about your rig, it is rather therapeutic.

uncle_asa
05/24/2007, 08:12 PM
All Isuzu 97+ w/V6 4x4 will match up, and I saw several on a quick search I did for myself <$750.
Make sure it has a torque converter, and you replace all fluid and fliters.

Troopers starting from mid-99 (model year 2000) have modified transmission that is not compatible with the VX, so be careful! They come with Pulse Width Modulated Torque Converter Clutch rather than On-Off TCC used on VX.

Locomigo
05/24/2007, 08:36 PM
Troopers starting from mid-99 (model year 2000) have modified transmission that is not compatible with the VX, so be careful! They come with Pulse Width Modulated Torque Converter Clutch rather than On-Off TCC used on VX.

The TOD system was also within the Troopers 98/99+, so that PWMTCC utilized in the Trooper; stands to reason it would also be utilized in the VX?
The Axiom also utilized this powertrain. The Rodeo/Amigo did not.

I should have put a disclaimer about the TOD system as that is the difference within the powertrain through the Isuzu late models

I would verify with Jerry Lemond jlemnd@bellsouth.net, and www.myisuzuparts.com

Good luck.

Lizardmen3477
05/25/2007, 08:47 AM
Mine went out at bout 95.000 miles too. Cost me around 5,000.00 runs like a champ now. Good luck with yours.

Chopper
05/25/2007, 05:50 PM
perfect time for a stickshift conversion
I second that emotion. 5200? #@!$ (I'll do it for you Scott) Buy a wrecked Rodeo 4x4, stick and get after it.

uncle_asa
05/25/2007, 08:03 PM
The TOD system was also within the Troopers 98/99+, so that PWMTCC utilized in the Trooper; stands to reason it would also be utilized in the VX?

Here is the the article describing changes: http://www.atsgmiami.com/articles/html/4l60e%201870%20code/4l60e%201870%20code.htm

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
05/25/2007, 10:24 PM
$3600 for a rebuilt transmission with a 3 year - 100,000 mile warranty installed....weigh in people...

Hotsauce
05/26/2007, 02:41 AM
What's wrong with an old *** alcoholic republican??? Would a new *** alcoholic democrat have told your differently?? Maybe you should take it to a bad *** alcoholic bi-partisan and everything will be ok.

No, the new *** alcoholic democrat would try to ban your transmission.

Thats a fully automatic transmission, the same type used in military vehicles, and no reason a civilian should ever own such a transmission.

John C

etlsport
05/26/2007, 04:50 AM
sounds pretty good to me if you are set on having a shop do it, just make sure you know all the details of the warranty, a lot of warranties are only valid if you have their shops do maintenance on a very strict schedule.. ie my friend had the transmission in her hyundai go out at 32,000 miles.. her 10/100,000 didnt cover it because she hadnt had the transmission flushed by a certified hyundai dealer at 30,000

Locomigo
05/26/2007, 10:25 PM
$3600 for a rebuilt transmission with a 3 year - 100,000 mile warranty installed....weigh in people...

You will spend $3k too much. But your scratch, so do as you will. NOFA KING way would I shell out that much! ~1/2 the value of the rig give or take...

NO THANK YOU. Next!

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
05/27/2007, 04:30 PM
the economy of the area I live.I live in one of the most expensive counties in the nation.Tends to bring the price of everything up a bit comparetivly.

Chopper
05/28/2007, 04:06 AM
Deal, but not a steal...but as you said, things are considerably costlier in your area. ( by maybe 500 bucks; not a deal breaker. Remember, a warranty is only as good as the shop offering it...if they go away in 6 months...so goes your guarantee)

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/01/2007, 06:30 PM
Picked it up yesterday, seems to be running well, and I got a 100,000 mile, 3 year warranty. I think the whole expirence has soured me a little on the car unfortunetly.I mean, I had a beat up old ford Bronco II that I bought for $400 that I beat to death that never had a tranny or engine problems till like 8 years after I bought it, and that was my fault to boot.The Bronco II was really just as adept as the VX offroad, lighter weight , 6 cylinder engine, great visibility and awesome turning radius.The VX looks cool and gets a lot of attention, but for a sheer fun ride the Bronco II has the same size and feel, plus a lot cheaper to fix.

CrnCnn
06/01/2007, 06:42 PM
Picked it up yesterday, seems to be running well, and I got a 100,000 mile, 3 year warranty. I think the whole expirence has soured me a little on the car unfortunetly.I mean, I had a beat up old ford Bronco II that I bought for $400 that I beat to death that never had a tranny or engine problems till like 8 years after I bought it, and that was my fault to boot.The Bronco II was really just as adept as the VX offroad, lighter weight , 6 cylinder engine, great visibility and awesome turning radius.The VX looks cool and gets a lot of attention, but for a sheer fun ride the Bronco II has the same size and feel, plus a lot cheaper to fix.

Oh god... i think im gonna,... yeah im gonna... ;puke:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/Monkey-01-june.gif

Dino
06/01/2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah me too.... ;puke:

I had a Bronco II and the suspension is a kindey killer!!! Sure it crawled all over the AZ outback and it had a six but it's suspension sucks!! Twin I-Beam hell!! They rock to the left and right way too much!!!

The VX is not even in the same category. Its a Performance machine not a Sport gizmo from Detroit!

...my 3.675 cents!

Glad yours is back. Someone neglected your trans in it's life. Too bad.

Now, keep it maintained and your golden!

PHO2GR4
06/01/2007, 08:40 PM
I thought earlier you said...and I quote...

The truth is this is my f'n fault. I was told to get a trannie service by my old *** alcoholic republican mechanic, who has been wrenching on my cars for years....

Now I'm just confused. George W. Bush TOLD you that it was due for a service, and you impeached him, and now the VX sucks?!? That's just wrong.

I'm also wondering about Ford's overall reliability ratings. They are somewhere above Yugo and somewhere below Isuzu; I DO know that.

(BTW, that's Ford Motor Company, not Gerald R. Ford. Although Gerald Ford wasn't that reliable either.)

HOWEVER! In the spirit of Brotherhood, and Good Karma, I will give you $400 for your VX, which you can then use to buy another Bronco II!

Bronco II. What a name. Twice as cool as the regular old Bronco 1!

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/02/2007, 05:07 AM
I think the VX is pretty bad ***, but now I am just doing a comparison and I really got more bang for the buck from a vehicle I paid for with half a days wages.I wound up selling my Bronco with a blown head gasket for as much as I bought it for.I drove it on long trips to Tahoe and Los Angeles from Santa Cruz and generally treated it like a red headed step child and although it was a dirty roach coach, I never worried about it's reliability. I have been checking this VX site often and every week someones VX totally bites the dust and they have to wind up taking a big hit (and I don't mean the good kind).

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/02/2007, 05:18 AM
GET YOUR TRANNY SERVICED! Every 30,000 miles or so. Just bough a VX? Get your tranny serviced! The tranny in the VX was originally developed for the Chevy Luv pick-up and is one of the worst GM ever made, It is definetly the weak link in the make up of this car. Pay now or pay later!

Chopper
06/02/2007, 05:34 AM
GET YOUR TRANNY SERVICED! Every 30,000 miles or so. Just bough a VX? Get your tranny serviced! The tranny in the VX was originally developed for the Chevy Luv pick-up and is one of the worst GM ever made, It is definetly the weak link in the make up of this car. Pay now or pay later!
We've been telling you this for like,five years now. No one ever called it the most matainence free vehicle in the world...it's no Civic...and I'm glad for it. The tranny is not the only "weak" link in this formula. Keep on top of things,and you'll have a much better experience. It's not quite a Lotus, but there is still a pretty high tinkering factor involved in long term ownership...or you could just buy a Civic.

PHO2GR4
06/02/2007, 09:25 AM
Your VX threw the tranny, and your Bronco blew its head gasket.

I used to live near Santa Cruz, and I never found driving conditions all that difficult! :cool:

Maybe you need to find a Libertarian mechanic?

PHO2GR4
06/02/2007, 09:30 AM
...although it was a dirty roach coach, I never worried about it's reliability.

You mean, up until the head gasket blew, right?

I have been checking this VX site often and every week someones VX totally bites the dust and they have to wind up taking a big hit (and I don't mean the good kind).

Okay, that's more like once a MONTH, isn't it?

And besides, if the Bronco II somehow warranted its own website, I'm sure that there would be tales of them self-destructing every HOUR, not every MONTH.

Isn't "FORD" an acronym for "Found On Road, Dead"? Or was it "Fix Or Repair Daily"?

My offer to buy the VX stands!

Dino
06/02/2007, 10:30 AM

I beg to differ...

My research says that the tranny we have in our VXs started production with the 1990 model year and ran without changes until 98. Chevy Luvs had a simple 3 speed auto trans and went out of production in 82 with the introduction of the S-10. (YUK!)

Any tranny or engine wears out and needs service. Heads on Broncos and most other vehicles don't just go bad. The go bad for a reason. Overheats, low oil, lean fuel mixtures, all avoidable by the way with routine scheduled maintenence.

Maintenence shouldn't be about fixing it AFTER it's broke!

Hope your new trans and you get along fine and have many happy years of driving!! I think you got a pretty good deal, and a good warranty! That means they believe in their product because the can back it up with quality workmanship.

They're pretty confidant that it will last that long WITH ROUTINE MAINTENANCE!! ;) ;)

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/02/2007, 11:06 AM
Amen!

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/03/2007, 07:28 AM

That's actually good advice for any vehicle...in another thread I mentioned getting my old '96 truck back. Within 2 days of ownership I changed the motor oil & filter as well as replaced trannie filter & fluid. Cheap insurance.

With the VX, I had trannie back-flush & refill done at 15,000 and 30,000 miles. I didn't change the filter because the ISUZU dealer talked me out of it and I wasn't a member of this site. If I had it to do over, I would have changed the filter @ 30,000.

My Last VX trannie service at 60,000 miles included a trannie back-flush & refill with Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid at the dealer (they charged $65 for service 'cause I provided the fluid); and THEN I took the VX to my local mechanic to pull the crossmember & pan, replace filter & like 4-5 quarts lost.
He ran the VX on the lift through the gears to draw fluid back into the clutch-packs. Then topped off trannie. Its been 3,000+ miles later of very smooth shifting.

TexVeX
06/03/2007, 04:04 PM
I loved my Bronco II that I had a few years back, but it needed constant repairs from the time I got it. By the time I sold it there were so many new parts on that I really should have kept it. But now that I have a VX I would prefer to never have to take a step down to having a Bronco again in order the get the same or similar feel with the ride.

Yes the Bronco II and the VX feel similar in handling and just feel to me. But I am fully aware of all the reasons why the VX is a better vehicle. And I certainly hope to learn enough on this forum to get all my preventive maintenance done on time

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/03/2007, 04:25 PM
Cool....
Someone sort of agrees with me. I went from a Bronco II to the VX and found them to be quite similar .The thing I liked most about the Bronco II was the amount of visibility it had. The Ford was like a rolling fishtank. I know everyone wants to dis Ford, but like I said, it took 7 years of real hard abuse before it needed anything serious...and I bought it in '99 when it was already 9 years old and probably had more than 150 thousand miles on it. Also, I think that all time, all wheel drive is not a plus. Being able to go from 2 wheel to four wheel drive with a push button when you want, is better than not being given that option.I also never bumped my head on the ceiling of the Ford when I launched over a bump. I bump my head constantly when I am getting crazy in the VX.Now please no hate mail, I really like my VX, I had always wanted one...I am just saying ..as with all things, is that the dream of having one, and the reality of having one, are two very different things.

Chopper
06/03/2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah...meeting Jerry Garcia wasn't the thrill I thought it was gonna be either. :rolleyes:

HOT_WASABI_JUNKIE
06/19/2007, 10:36 AM
My VX is back at the shop. The tranny started shifting really hard between gears and since the new rebuilt tranny is still under warranty since I only put two weeks and 400 miles on it's on a 3 year 75,000 mile contract.I am starting to feel like this car is not worth the trouble.My Tranny guy's are shaking their heads and trying to figure out the next step and they have had my car since last friday morning and it it Tuesday morning now. What good is a cool car if it is in my mechanics garage more than mine?

Anita
06/19/2007, 11:23 AM
Just a thought but hard shifting up and/or down could be the mode switch needing to be replaced.

Locomigo
06/19/2007, 11:30 AM
Just a thought but hard shifting up and/or down could be the mode switch needing to be replaced.

True...

Did they replace the shift solenoids? There are two 1-2 gear, 3-4 gear. If not, they need to. If so, did they use OEM replacements, or cheap knock offs? If the latter, replace with the former.

Did you install a tranny cooler? If not, you need to. Biggest enemy in these trannies (well any auto tranny is heat. While adding a cooler, add a tranny temp gauge, anything over 210 needs to be backed off and let cool.

Is the fluid full? If not, add some, realizing it isnt the easiest proposition in the world, but it is something that needs to be checked regularly.

These trannies are delicate and require some TLC. research 4L-30E and become educated.

Once you have the knowledge and exercise that information, you shouldn't have the concerns you do any longer. Then you can direct the shop in how to get it done right. You paid a hefty bill, I would expect nothing less than perfection from them.

JHarris1385
06/19/2007, 11:48 AM
What I dont understand is if these are soo shi**y trannys then why did BMW use them.?

Locomigo
06/19/2007, 02:34 PM
What I dont understand is if these are soo shi**y trannys then why did BMW use them.?

Ive often wondered that myself, and WTF they would ally with GM. :confused:

If you baby them, coolers, temp gauges, fluid/filter replacement, and do above and beyond on the maintenance they will last a long time.

Shoot, mine lasted 120k miles, and those were HARD. had bigger than stock tires on from 5k, went over the mountain passes, 4x4, and bashing through snow/blizzards a few times. I finally cooked it, and I made the mistake of not throwing a cooler on, no temp gauge, etc. I did change the fluid every 12-15k and replaced the filter every third time.

The past two years, she has sat until I wanted to go wheelin, loaded up, hopped in and took off.
I didnt care for her very attentively over the past couple years...

JHarris1385
06/19/2007, 03:10 PM
How hard and costly is a cooler install?