PDA

View Full Version : Transmission - Diff - Change

JHarris1385
06/05/2007, 12:42 PM
I am going to tackle a transmission and differentails fluid change this weekend. I want to be properly prepared for this is my first time. So I would like to start a check list on here and ask if you all would fill it out for me. I dont know what all is needed and what is the best for this.

Transmission change - what is needed?

Diff change - what is needed?

Any Tools?

Triathlete
06/05/2007, 12:46 PM
There is actually a very good write up on this subject somewhere here on the board...should be able to find it with the search!

Triathlete
06/05/2007, 12:50 PM
Less than a minute and here you go...Joe Blacks how to (http://www.antiquecaterpillar.org/vx/Technical/4L30E_01.asp) ...search is your friend! Don't fear it! ;Dy;

JHarris1385
06/05/2007, 01:00 PM
Can you get the filter and gasket at an AutoZONE?

What about the diffs? Did not see a write up on that.

nfpgasmask
06/05/2007, 01:14 PM
Yes, I got mine at AutoZone for $30-$40. The filter should come with the gasket.

Bart

Can you get the filter and gasket at an AutoZONE?

What about the diffs? Did not see a write up on that.

Triathlete
06/05/2007, 01:17 PM
THIS (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=2174) has some good info on the diffs including pics of the drain and fill holes.

etlsport
06/05/2007, 01:48 PM
the diffs are easy.. heres some quick tips though...

remove the fill plug first.. youll be pretty PO'd if you drain your diff then cant fill it

check your manual for capacities and oil weights

you will need two drain pans.. i dont think you can fit both differentials and the transmission all in one pan

when you start draining the front, you may need a long screwedriver or coathanger to poke some sludge out of the way since the drain hole is pretty small

dont try to tube the fluid in, if you get mobil1 you can just squeeze it from the bottle straight into the fill hole

JHarris1385
06/05/2007, 01:57 PM
Good info etl. Thanks. How much per diff?

How about the tod change never knew you had to do this.

Is the transmission filter over the counter at an autozone?

Kenny
06/05/2007, 06:45 PM
With your ATF fluid (about 12 quarts) you can change out your transmission and TOD and power steering fluid. With a bit more you could flush...

As for your differentials, do them separately as they require an axle oil - if they are different front and back for your temperature climate, make sure you mark them good and don't mix em up.

The best info on plug nut sizes, torque, CAPACITIES, is the VX shop manual you can download from Tone.

Joe Black's instructions are awesome - make sure you do that last step and run through the gears when you think you are full, then top off. Note that it doesn't cover the TOD - that one's as easy as the differentials but with ATF.

Good Luck.

Grand_Canyon_VXer
06/06/2007, 07:11 AM
DON'T forget the additive for the differentials.... !!!!

I'm sorry I don't know what the name of the additive is but i'm sure these guys can tell you...

you will know immediatly if you don't add it.

etlsport
06/06/2007, 07:13 AM
LSD additive (limited slip differential.... not the other stuff) just add a tube to the rear diff... with mobil 1 synthetic i think that you dont really need it.. but it cant hurt to add

VX crazy
06/06/2007, 11:13 AM
I have never used the LSD additive and have changed fluids 3 times with Royal Purple, runs like a charm. To my understanding you do NOT need that additive with synthetic fluids.

JHarris1385
06/07/2007, 01:23 PM
So help me out a bit here. I am a bit illiterate on this.

for the transmission i need
1. 10mm - 19mm
2. 10 quarts of ATF
3. Funnel
4. 3/8 tube in 6ft long
5. catch pan 10quart+
6. filter
7.gasket
8. adapter pan gasket??
9. scrapper
10.scotchbrite pads
11. silicon gasket maker??

Questions takes ten quarts? Are the bottles in quart sizes as well?
What exactally is ATF? And what kind to get? And how much is this?

I ask this and might sound dumb, but I have never cared to learn about this spectrum untill ownership of a VX normally ill be honest, I would tell my dad what my car needs he gives me a blank check and I take it to the dealership. But not anymore.

Also, I am still unclear on what to do with the TOD (where is it located, what kind of oil, how much....)

The differentials require what kind of oil for my Southern Indiana driving? Does the back and front really require seperate oils from each other?
What kind is the best?

I would like to either tackle this tonight if I become confident enough with hopefully the supplied information or at least this weekend.

Thanks in advance to whomever chimes in.

nfpgasmask
06/07/2007, 01:39 PM
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid. What it exactly is, I could't tell ya. Its pinkish, smells bad/funny and isn't fun to spill all over your garage and self. I put Mobile-1 Synthetic ATF in my trans. I don't think it is ten quarts though, I remember it being more like 6, but you should always get more than you think you need, as not having enough would suck, when you have to go back to the store and get more and your VX is on jack stands. :)

IIRC, there is only one gasket. This gasket should come with the filter and it goes on your pan. You will see what I mean after you drop the pan. You may need a plastic scraper to remove the old gasket. In my case, it came off with no issue.

The only other thing I would suggest, is to NOT do it tonight, wake up early on Saturday and tackle it fresh, with the whole day ahead of you and plenty of light. I think it is a little more tedious than the instructions lay out, especially since you sound like you're like me, which is new to doing your own auto work. Filling it back up was the hard part, imo. Follow the instuctions, and make sure you get enough fluid in there.

And don't forget to flatten out that gasket for 24 hours inbetween some books!

Bart

So help me out a bit here. I am a bit illiterate on this.

for the transmission i need
1. 10mm - 19mm
2. 10 quarts of ATF
3. Funnel
4. 3/8 tube in 6ft long
5. catch pan 10quart+
6. filter
7.gasket
8. adapter pan gasket??
9. scrapper
10.scotchbrite pads
11. silicon gasket maker??

Questions takes ten quarts? Are the bottles in quart sizes as well?
What exactally is ATF? And what kind to get? And how much is this?

I ask this and might sound dumb, but I have never cared to learn about this spectrum untill ownership of a VX normally ill be honest, I would tell my dad what my car needs he gives me a blank check and I take it to the dealership. But not anymore.

Also, I am still unclear on what to do with the TOD (where is it located, what kind of oil, how much....)

The differentials require what kind of oil for my Southern Indiana driving? Does the back and front really require seperate oils from each other?
What kind is the best?

I would like to either tackle this tonight if I become confident enough with hopefully the supplied information or at least this weekend.

Thanks in advance to whomever chimes in.

etlsport
06/07/2007, 01:43 PM
J, you can easily do your differentials tonight, the front took me no longer than 20 minutes.. the rear took me almost two hours.. but about an hour and a half of that was trying to gravity feed the differential through a tube, once i gave up on the tube and just squeezed the oil from the bottle into the differential, it took like 10 minutes
you will need sockets up to 24mm, the rear diff drain plug can only be removed with a socket, a wrench wont get in there

the quick procedure...

remove the fill plug on the differential

place drain pan under drain plug

remove drain plug and let drain, you could jack up the opposite side of the vx to assist in draining if you want.

replace the drain plug (on the rear differential make sure you have the copper washer gasket)

fill the differential by cutting the tip of the bottle off, and squeezing directly into the differential, you will need 2.5 quarts for the front and a little over 3 quarts for the rear, you will know when its full when it starts to leak back out the fill hole

on the rear diff if you use mobil1 synthetic you dont need the lsd additive, if you use regular gear oil you will need the additive, add it before you add the oil in the rear diff

replace the fill plug

double check to make sure all is tightened back up

clean up

JHarris1385
06/07/2007, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys for chiming in. I think ill take gasmask's advice and do the tranny this saturday and the diffs then or tonight.

I think i only have questions becuase at about 10pm last night I thought I would head to the local superstore to pick up the goods so I could right to it after work today and found ONE type of gear oil with something like 75w...and it was valuecraft.

Questions still
1. The tranny and TOD require ATF? All the same type? How many quarts to be safe? What is the best brand?

2. The rear and front diffs take different type of oil? Ill go syn so no need of the lsd right?

3. Is there not a seperate gasket for the adapter pan and the pan that holds the drian plug. Or am I just lost here?

nfpgasmask
06/07/2007, 02:29 PM
Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you put ATF in both the tranny and the TOD. The gasket goes on the pan that you drop, and iirc, there is only one pan to drop. The drain/fill area is not dropped.

I would say Mobile-1 and Royal Purple are your best products. Mobile-1 is much easier to find, so I would go with that, plus it is typically about $1-$2 cheaper than the RP.

I would say to be safe, pick up 8-9 quarts of ATF. I know I still have 2 full quarts in my garage from when I did mine a year ago. I don't know how much for the diffs or if they need different types.

Bart

Thanks guys for chiming in. I think ill take gasmask's advice and do the tranny this saturday and the diffs then or tonight.

I think i only have questions becuase at about 10pm last night I thought I would head to the local superstore to pick up the goods so I could right to it after work today and found ONE type of gear oil with something like 75w...and it was valuecraft.

Questions still
1. The tranny and TOD require ATF? All the same type? How many quarts to be safe? What is the best brand?

2. The rear and front diffs take different type of oil? Ill go syn so no need of the lsd right?

3. Is there not a seperate gasket for the adapter pan and the pan that holds the drian plug. Or am I just lost here?

JHarris1385
06/07/2007, 02:51 PM
These were the two gaskets I was referring to.

Also is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L30E-ISUZU-HONDA-ACURA-SERVICE-KIT-FILTER-FIBER-GASKET_W0QQitemZ260126043803QQihZ016QQcategoryZ337 27QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nfpgasmask
06/07/2007, 03:13 PM
Yeah, hopefully someone else will chime in here. *I think* one of the gaskets goes on the tranny pan (the big one) and the smaller one goes on the pan that covers the TOD. If you look under your VX you will see both pans.

I changed only one of these that I can remember. That is a good deal, get it.

Bart

These were the two gaskets I was referring to.

Also is this a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L30E-ISUZU-HONDA-ACURA-SERVICE-KIT-FILTER-FIBER-GASKET_W0QQitemZ260126043803QQihZ016QQcategoryZ337 27QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kenny
06/07/2007, 05:35 PM
You will "need" the first gasket on the adapter pan (Small front one).
I say "need" because I think if you're careful pulling off the pan, the gasket will be fine - mine was ok to re-use.

The second gasket will only be needed if you decide to change your strainer that's up behind the larger pan (drain - fill). I never bothered with this one (yet).

The gasket maker is not needed if you have the proper size gaskets.

Get at least 12 quarts.
9 to 9.5 into the transmission and 2 to 2.5 into the transfer case. Get a bit more and you could replace your power steering fluid that is also ATF.

Take your time and follow Joe Black's how to closely.

UtahVXer
06/09/2007, 10:50 AM
Here is a more complete maintenance list:
0. Change tranny fluid, filter, gasket
1. Check battery fluid level
2. Power Flush and fill radiator, clean radiator core and A/C condenser
3. Check Brake fluid level
4. Check for fluid leaks
5. Change Engine Oil and filter
6. Check hoses
7. Check cooling and heater hoses
8. Check fuel line and replace fuel filter
9. Check Engine Drive Belt
10. Lube propeller shaft and check shaft flange torque
11. Check Steering operation
12. Check Brake lines & hoses
13. Check Disk Brakes
14. Check Brake Pedal Play
15. Check Parking Brake
16. Lube Accelerator linkage
17. Check suspension and steering
18. Change power steering fluid
19. Lube body and chasis
20. Check TOD system fluid
21. Check auto cruise control linkage and hoses
22. Check starter safety switch
23. Check accelerator linkage
24. Change front and rear axle oil
25. Change txfer case oil
26. Check and adjust valve clearance
27. Repack front wheel bearings

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter.

Ascinder
06/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Also, don't forget that fluid flows easier when it's hot, so go run your VX around for awhile before you do the draining so it all flows out easier and more completly. You can also fish a syringe with a plastic ube on the end in the drain hole to suck out any remaining fluid. It is fairly worthless to do a fluid change if all the pieces of heavy metal stay in the bottom of the case after it is drained, just to get churned right back up into the system when it gets filled again. Also I know for sure that the Mobil-1 comes in pretty much two types of differential oil. The 75W90 is only good across a narrower temperature range. The 75W140 is good across a really broad range and costs a helluva lot more money. I used the 140 simply because temps in Nevada are absolutley insane. You go from sweltering Vegas summers to High Sierra winters, so it was almost a necessity. For milder climates, the 90 should be fine. I threw in the LSD additive when I did mine, don't know if it was necessary, but better safe than sorry.

kelvin
07/02/2007, 09:32 AM
Ok, so i did my diffs this weekend and would like to remind every one that the drain plug on the rear diff has a magnet in it to collect any stray metal particles. You shouldn't need to suck every last bit out as long as you clean all the metal bits off the magnet/plug when you change it. and to get that last bit of fluid out just jack up the drivers side rear axle and it all should pour out...

Now for the question: I pulled the fill plug on my transmission pan and 2 quarts of hot fluid came out. My mechanic said i need to have the car running and in neutral to fill/check to the proper level. should it be filled to the fill plug while the car is running or not running? apparently when it's not running the fluid drains from the lines, etc and will make the pan appear over filled, but while the motor is running the lines etc. are full and that's when you fill the pan to the fill level... does this sound right?

Ldub
07/02/2007, 10:52 AM
Ok, so i did my diffs this weekend and would like to remind every one that the drain plug on the rear diff has a magnet in it to collect any stray metal particles. You shouldn't need to suck every last bit out as long as you clean all the metal bits off the magnet/plug when you change it. and to get that last bit of fluid out just jack up the drivers side rear axle and it all should pour out...

Now for the question: I pulled the fill plug on my transmission pan and 2 quarts of hot fluid came out. My mechanic said i need to have the car running and in neutral to fill/check to the proper level. should it be filled to the fill plug while the car is running or not running? apparently when it's not running the fluid drains from the lines, etc and will make the pan appear over filled, but while the motor is running the lines etc. are full and that's when you fill the pan to the fill level... does this sound right?

I've only posted this about eleventy billion times ;) :p ...but here ya go...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

nfpgasmask
07/02/2007, 11:40 AM
Ldub, would you post it one more time, just for me?

:p Bart

kelvin
07/02/2007, 01:05 PM
yeah, sorry. didn't find it in the search. but tracked it down in the maintainence manual later this morning... feeling like a slacker now.. thanks...

Ldub
07/02/2007, 02:29 PM
yeah, sorry. didn't find it in the search. but tracked it down in the maintainence manual later this morning... feeling like a slacker now.. thanks...

You're welcome kelvin...no worries, now I feel needed.

OK Bart, but only cuz it's you. :cool:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fluid1.png

nfpgasmask
07/02/2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks Dub. I feel all special and warm inside now. :)

Bart