PDA

View Full Version : To re-tint or not to re-tint????

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 10:08 AM
Need some opinions. I never have been a fan of the mirror tint untill I bought this VX with it on already. It has grown on me. But on the other hand I really dig the black/white contrast and this throws it off a bit.

So I have been thinking of stripping the mirror tint and re-tinting it with limo tint to give more of that contrast and to match the black border on the rear windows.

But I thought I would ask for your opinion OR if anyone out there could photoshop it for me so I can get a better picture of what it would look like.

Here are a few pics. Old ones though

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/000_01551.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Theee.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Theee.jpg)

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 10:13 AM
I could not get the second image to insert in large original format.

If anyone has the time a photoshop version of limo tint would be nice.....

PHO2GR4
06/11/2007, 10:18 AM
You don't need a Photoshop version, really. Just go with black limo tint. Not only will it look a MILLION times better on your B&W Ironman, but I never liked mirrored tint anyway.

Just my opinion.

biju
06/11/2007, 10:41 AM
re-tint. JMO.

-biju.

Bulldoggie
06/11/2007, 10:57 AM
I vote for the black tint, it hides the black borders around the windows for a solid look.
I had mine replaced and removing the old tint is easy if they steam them.

PHO2GR4
06/11/2007, 12:29 PM
What Bulldoggie said!

I forgot to mention those black window borders, and IMO the profile looks a lot smoother w/o those black borders.

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah that is what has bugged me the most.

Since this picture I have taken off those rubber caps on the edge of the door seen in the picture as a black line at the seam.
Also I forgot to look more closely in the gallery but does everyone else have pin stripes?? something else the original owner did.

etlsport
06/11/2007, 12:51 PM
nope, no standard pinstripes.. id like a nice one thouugh... i agree with everyone else here as well.. ditch the mirror tint and go with the limo tint!

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 12:57 PM
Its an odd mirror tint. It only looks like above when the sun is shining on it. Otherwise it looks charcoal. Yeah Im going to ditch it I want more black/white contrast. Just wonder how much an unstall install job will be. Plus I need the bar on the windsheild too.

Since this pic I have also put back on the 20's, painted the grill white, got VXR in there, painted the screws metallic silver....and thinking about ditching the 3.5L

Bulldoggie
06/11/2007, 02:25 PM
They removed the stock tint and did the rear 5 windows for $115 for me.

cyronman
06/11/2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/2_22_07_034.jpg

That's a shot of mine for comaprison. My VX had the tint job already when I bought so I don't know of a cost. It's a NICE tint job though and it has the windshield strip.
It will look a whole lot nicer in a couple weeks too, with my new black wheels!

JHarris1385
06/11/2007, 03:03 PM
Thats exactally what I needed to see. Even better would be a pic with the new wheels. I am thinking about getting some new all black ones. Not sure which ones or how big. But I do know I want more aggresive of a tire.

Ascinder
06/11/2007, 05:04 PM
Here's another black tinted shot. I don't know how dark it is since it was tinted when I got it, not quite limo for sure,but it is like yours: lifted and with more aggressive tires. Not everyone is a fan of the rims, but I love 'em.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/PICT0301.JPG

JHarris1385
03/16/2009, 02:06 PM
Almost two years later............

I finally got a tj (tint job).

$300 bucks later - I could not be happier.

I will post pictures are some point. It looks hella better.

nfpgasmask
03/16/2009, 03:14 PM
Almost two years later............

I finally got a tj (tint job).

$300 bucks later - I could not be happier.

I will post pictures are some point. It looks hella better.

I need to re-do my tint. I've made a real mess of it over the last year or so hauling stuff in my VX. :(

Bart

Riff Raff
03/16/2009, 04:00 PM
Both versions seem to have their own mistique. The old mirror version seemed to give the VX a "spooky mysterious" look which I found somewhat cool looking.

One thing I discovered about "mirrored" tint is that never to put any kind of decal on the exterior of the glass. This prevents the sun from naturally fading the mirror tint as a whole, and when you remove the exterior decal there will be a "ghosted image" of the former decal (not good).

The previous owner of my VX had mirror tint put on the rear-quarter windows. Then, when he was trying to sell the VX, he had custom-made "For Sale" decals made and stuck them on the rear-quarter mirrored windows in an effort to advertise as he was driving around. Upon removal of the exterior "For Sale" decals, there is a ghosted image burned-in by the Sun's ultraviolet rays. To the untrained eye it is hard to see; but in the right light and at the right angle, the ghosted image can be plainly seen (very irritating).

I do like "colored" mirror tint that augments the vehicle's paint color. Yellow/Gold Mirror for Proton, Green Mirror for Dragon, Red Mirror for Firefox, Graduated Black Mirror for Ebony, etc. This seems to be a cool effect, along with color-coordinated wheels on the same theme.

Gussie2000
03/16/2009, 07:26 PM
I'll also go for the black limo tint my friend,i guess all of us can't be mistaken.

I though about the mirror looking when i made my mind to tint my windows,but didn't like how it looked.

pbkid
03/16/2009, 09:09 PM
ya, mine still has the mirror tint on it..

i actually like it...isnt nearly as dark as black tint but shades out exterior view better than black...

i have had my DYE sticker on the back of my VX since i bought it (2004 i think), and i just removed it about a week ago...havent noticed any ghosting yet...but haven't looked at it very closely

Osteomata
03/17/2009, 06:29 AM
No No No, you should not have changed the tint to match the black, you should have changed the car paint to match the window tint! Silver mirror paint all over. Yeah, thats the ticket.

- Os

MSHardeman
03/17/2009, 08:21 AM
Do you mean something like this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11123/ppuser/1934/sl/p

I think Petos left the site (and the US) before you got here. It was quite the VX to see in person.

Osteomata
03/17/2009, 09:39 AM
I was thinking something even brighter, and less mulitcolored, like this:
http://www.toyotacelicamodifications.com/chromebmw.htm

But thanks for those pics, I was not aware someone had done a semi-mirror finish on a VX. What procedure did you use?

- Os

Do you mean something like this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11123/ppuser/1934/sl/p

I think Petos left the site (and the US) before you got here. It was quite the VX to see in person.

MSHardeman
03/17/2009, 11:34 AM
That's pretty crazy. I would be afraid to lean against it because I would put a smudge on it and then have to shine it up again.

From what I remember Petos bought the VX like that (I think it had a MASSIVE stereo system in it before he got it) and as you can see in some of the pictures the mirror finish is peeling off, or at least the clear coat is. Petos sold the VX before he headed back across the pond and he checks in every now and then so maybe he'll speak up about the finish.

Riff Raff
03/17/2009, 07:59 PM
From what I remember Petos bought the VX like that and as you can see in some of the pictures the mirror finish is peeling off, or at least the clear coat is. Petos sold the VX before he headed back across the pond.

MSHardeman--- Yes, PETOS (2nd owner) bought his VX already customized that way by the previous owner. The previous and original owner-customizer went by the Vehicross.Info "handle" name: RICKSTER.

Rick (or Rickster) is a professional automotive customizer and made many custom mod's to his VX including special chameleon painted cladding and shaved door handles. In early June 2008, PETOS (a native from Russia who was temporarily living/going to school in the USA), was hurting for money and sold the customized VX before returning back to Russia. Ironically; the new 3rd owner lived in Russia too, and had RICKSTER's customized VX shipped over to Russia (never to be heard from again). For additional information, do a forum "search" for: RICKSTER

don moore
03/17/2009, 09:22 PM
check you local laws about how much tint you can have....;)

pbkid
03/17/2009, 10:34 PM
yup, also, the coolest part in my mind was that he rhino-lined the whole interior from the front seats back ;)

JHarris1385
03/18/2009, 07:04 AM
Ah I am not too worried about the local laws of tint. Its 35% on the front and 25% the rest. I did 5% all around.

VehiGAZ
03/18/2009, 01:16 PM
Does anyone have those tints that "fade" from reflective silver to the regular tint black on their VX?

As cheesy as it looks on some cars, I think it would be perfect for the VX. Anyone have a picture? I am currently heavily tinted, but would consider redoing them since the one on the driver's window got scratched up at the shop once.