PDA

View Full Version : popping/clicking noise

nfpgasmask
06/15/2007, 01:26 PM
OK folks,

Post Moab, I have discovered that my VX now makes an audible popping noise, when backing up with my wheels cut to the left. I am thinking CV shaft but wanted some input here. The noise seems to be coming from the right side, underneath, and seems to be under the passenger side door toward the front end. Again, the noise only happens in reverse, and only with the wheels cut to the left more than half way.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Bart

CrnCnn
06/15/2007, 01:48 PM
From my experiance with cv's I would say if it doesnt happen when you make a u-turn then it probly isnt them

Kenny
06/15/2007, 02:28 PM
How 'bout a dust flap in the wheel well catching on your tire treads?
:confused:

Good Luck.

nfpgasmask
06/15/2007, 02:39 PM
I don't I have dust flaps... :)

Bart

How 'bout a dust flap in the wheel well catching on your tire treads?
:confused:

Good Luck.

Chopper
06/15/2007, 02:55 PM
you know, the plastic fender liners... but if that's not it, I'm thinkin' CV time. I'd be inclined to swap both entire axle assemblies, than do the CV's themselves. I don't know for sure on our car(have not had need) but it is the easy way out most times

nfpgasmask
06/15/2007, 10:51 PM
Well, I don't really have much to go on yet other than this sound. Driving the VX does not seem any different. No noises going forward, no vibrations, nothing.

Bart

you know, the plastic fender liners... but if that's not it, I'm thinkin' CV time. I'd be inclined to swap both entire axle assemblies, than do the CV's themselves. I don't know for sure on our car(have not had need) but it is the easy way out most times

Ldub
06/16/2007, 01:39 AM
Bart,

Have you checked your CV boots real close ?

nfpgasmask
06/16/2007, 09:19 AM
No sir, not yet. What should I be looking for? I have been underneath 3 or 4 times since returning from Moab, and I did not seen anything weird (leaks, etc).

Bart

Bart,

Have you checked your CV boots real close ?

Ldub
06/16/2007, 09:40 AM
The conical rubber boots on either end of the half shaft (between the front third member & the hub (back side of where front wheel bolts on).
Check them all around for tears/evidence of grease.
If one had a tear, it might possibly make a popping noise as it rotates...that's about all that comes readily to mind.
Good Luck. :cool:

Triathlete
06/16/2007, 11:08 AM
Turn up volume on stereo...no more noise...problem solved! :bwgy:

nfpgasmask
06/17/2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that's why I don't think I heard the noise until just last week. I usually have the Zen blasting through my stereo.

Bart

Turn up volume on stereo...no more noise...problem solved! :bwgy:

Techy-D
06/17/2007, 09:25 PM
OK folks,

Post Moab, I have discovered that my VX now makes an audible popping noise, when backing up with my wheels cut to the left.
Any ideas?

Thanks - Bart
Do you turn you head to look when you're backing? Chiropractor??? :p :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
06/17/2007, 10:00 PM
Today I rolled around under my VX in search of anything abnormal looking and I found nothing. The CV boots look fine, no leaks or cracks. So, I am at a loss, but at the same time, not overly worried...

Bart

thedutchguy
06/18/2007, 12:02 AM
CHECK THE BOLTS OF YOUR SUSPENSION!!!!!!!!!!
These tend to come loose sometimes, and it makes a cluking noise when backing up!

nfpgasmask
06/18/2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks Dutchguy! But, could you be a little more specific with which bolts? I am just about worthless under there....so I need pictures or very accurate descriptions of where to look!

Bart

CHECK THE BOLTS OF YOUR SUSPENSION!!!!!!!!!!
These tend to come loose sometimes, and it makes a cluking noise when backing up!

thedutchguy
06/18/2007, 10:47 AM
These are the bolts which hold the shims for the allignment of the wheels.
They are always under tension because of the spring load caused by the torsion springs of the suspension. But when they become loose, backing up the car results in enoug momentum to push the suspension back into place.I added a drawing of the suspension.
I mean bolts nr.158!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/suspension_front.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/suspension_front.JPG)

nfpgasmask
06/18/2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks man! I will check this out for sure!

Bart

These are the bolts which hold the shims for the allignment of the wheels.
They are always under tension because of the spring load caused by the torsion springs of the suspension. But when they become loose, backing up the car results in enoug momentum to push the suspension back into place.I added a drawing of the suspension.
I mean bolts nr.158!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/suspension_front.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/suspension_front.JPG)