PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Cladding

TEN36VX
06/22/2007, 05:52 PM
I don’t know much about this field at all, so I thought I'd solicit...

I was considering having some cladding pieces made out of molded automotive grade rubber (or similar compound). Thought they would be more forgiving than the plastic (or fiberglass) for rock bumps while offroading. I know gouging is an issue but the ability to absorb light side impact and return to form is appealing. Also, as long as I am making new cladding a little more flair and cut on the fenders would be nice to accommodate the bigger tires...

Anybody know if this is possible? What kind of product would be used? Who (business) I might contact to propose the project?

Dino
06/22/2007, 06:23 PM
ANY kind of molding process is going to be huge bucks! $10k plus easy.. maybe 20.

IndianaVX
06/24/2007, 07:11 PM
go to your local library and read up on the subject......i was almost to the point of building a small foundry in my back yard at one point in my life just to form some pieces off of an old restoration project i had going at the time. and figured if i got good enough, i could cast other small items for other enthusiast. but i do remember checking out several book on casting rubber, so i know they are out there, and that way, at least when you do talk, if you do, you will have some knowlege on the subject. then you can start your post by sayin,...." i know a LITTLE about this field"...lol
good luck with it.......