PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt – interference or non-interference?

k4tmc
06/24/2007, 05:45 PM
For you engine techies, which type of timing belt is used in the VX?

This week’s newspaper’s auto section had a short article on what happens when an interference-type timing belt breaks. Bottom-line is that there is severe engine damage = $$$$.

In my almost-40 years of driving experience, I have only had one timing belt break and it apparently was of a non-interference type belt (1986 Toyota Camry at 110K). The engine stopped while driving down the road, with no unusual sounds coming from the engine. A trip to the dealer and a few hundred dollars had me going again.

As my VX is approaching 85K miles, and the recommended timing belt change is imminent, I would like some assurance that I will not have a major problem if there is a premature belt failure.

So, what type of timing belt does the VX have - interference or non-interference?

Henry

Joe_Black
06/24/2007, 05:53 PM
Non-interference.

IndianaVX
06/24/2007, 06:15 PM
its not the timing belt that is interferance, or not, its the actual engine, and our ENGINE is a NON INTERFERANCE, the belt is just a belt

Still, i would replace it as soon as you are finacially able, and while you are at it, replace the water pump, and the timming belt tensioner.

good luck
david