PDA

View Full Version : S/C install scheduled!

VehiGAZ
06/25/2007, 08:24 PM
My VX goes in for the S/C install on July 9. I'm having the T-belt done while he's digging around in there. Any advice on last-minute preparations? Should I seafoam before it goes in?

WormGod
06/26/2007, 07:23 AM
Clean engine bay is always a plus. Also, I would probably go ahead and drop some fresh oil in and have it prepped up with some 93oct. Since someone else is doing the work, you don't need to do much more. Just make sure you give them contact numbers in case they run into problems. I understand Alpine is kind of flaky now, but I think Tone mentioned another contact recently.

VehiGAZ
06/26/2007, 08:16 AM
I promised to print out the S/C 101 thread (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=98476#post98476) for him, and I'll get him the new Alpine customer service info Tone provided, too.

I'll step up to 93 octane on my next fill-up as suggested. I think I will seafoam, too.

Ldub
06/26/2007, 02:24 PM
As long as you're doing the timing belt...,the timing belt tensioner, water pump & thermostat would be considered cheap insurance by most I've talked to.
Also, get some new intake gaskets from Merlin before hand.

VehiGAZ
06/27/2007, 09:06 AM
Tensioner - check.
Gaskets - definitely!
Water pump - Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm on the other side of the fence on the preventative water pump change. I've had only one water pump chew itself up on me (in 1985!) over the course of more than 20 years of driving 6 different cars. Moreover, I know two people who preventively put new pumps in that failed within days or months of replacement. I'd rather keep a proven pump in there instead of spending uneccessary money and incurring unnecessary risk on a new one.