PDA

View Full Version : Recharge A\C?

djkymar
06/26/2007, 08:46 PM
Hi gang!
As summer came pretty hot and A\C in my VX is not so cold as used to so question is is that possable to recharge A\C in home conditions? or i have to go to special shop?
Thank you guys

Ldub
06/26/2007, 10:00 PM
They have AC recharge kits w/ detailed instructions @ most auto parts stores, Wal-mt.,K-mt. etc.

djkymar
06/26/2007, 11:22 PM
yeah ive seen those everywhere but question does they work wiht any car and did anyone tryed it on VX yet?

Dino
06/26/2007, 11:40 PM
You need to find the leak that let the refrigerant OUT!

Yeah... it's not supposed to go away. AC systems work great when there's is the proper amount of regrigerant, but as the refrigerant leaks out, it won't cool as much.

How do you tell if it's low?? Look into the sight glass on the receiver dryer while the system is on and running. You should NOT see ANY bubbles passing by. If you do, you are low on refrigerant, which means you have a leak.

You might also check the fan on the condenser coil in front of the radiator. It helps dissipate the heat build up.

AC systems do not add cold. They remove heat to the condenser coil and it gets released by air passing by it. That's why your AC works great rolling down the highway at 60 MPH, but not quite as good in stop start traffic. Check that fan and check the fins of the condenser coil for blockage, dirt, bugs. It doesn't take much to gunk to reduce it's efficiency.

How do you find the leak? By recharging it and adding a flourescent dye. Then you runn it for a few days, then open the hood and shine an ultraviolet light around untill you see the bright green dye where your leak is. Once the leak is identified, (most likely an o-ring on a fitting) the system must be emptied, the leak fixed, then the system gets evacuated with a vac pump and recharged.

It's all in the downlaodable manual. Section 1A

So, you see, there is a bit more to it than just recharging it.

Hope this helps.

IndianaVX
06/26/2007, 11:42 PM
dj,
yeah, they work on the vx.
you want the can that says 134a, (the new type of freon) and one of those hoses that are probably close by on the shelf. the place you put it in is on the drivers side, close to the firewall, just aabove the valve cover. ive recharged mine, no prob.
im pretty sure that therre is even a tag that says low port ac on it, kinda light blue. i think the cap on it is also light blue. i might have a pic that ill post.

Ldub
06/27/2007, 05:05 AM
Uhhhhh, Dave ?

That cap in your picture that is greenish in color has to do with the fuel/evap system & I believe is there for fuel pressure measurements...
The boiq (blue one in question) ;) , is on the aluminium bloc on the firewall, above & to the right of the arrow.
Not trying to be a "knowitall", just don't want anyone trying to put freon in their fuel rail.

dino is right, you need to find the leak, but sometimes you can get lucky, and run a can of leak stop,which is usually right by the 134a cans, and chase it with a can of 134a.

here is a pic i have. pay no attention to the arrow i have in the pic....i was pointing to something else in the picture, but you can see where the hose youre going to buy hooks up. it looks kinda light green in this pic.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_1854.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_1854.JPG) http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_1853.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_1853.JPG)

i would try the leak stop, and 1 can of refegerant first, and see what that does for a day or so. if it seems to be holding, then try for another can. no sense in spending money on the stuff, just to have it leak out again. that can get costly.
hope this helps

i am about 99% sure that is the port for the hose. i dont have my vx here to check, and it HAS been a while since ive done it, so maybe someone else can conferm.

IndianaVX
06/27/2007, 06:16 AM
OH CRAP!!!!:o :eek: :eek: :o
thanks dub, ....im fallin apart. thanks for catching that, obviously, you know enough!!!
dj, and everyone else, i am sorry, for posting that and not being 100% sure, but you can recharge your a/c yourself, in most cases.
and yes, listen to ldub, very smart guy....
maybe ill try to get that post deleted.......
sorry sorry sooooo very very sorrry

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_1854.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_1854.JPG)

deermagnet
06/27/2007, 06:35 AM
If you had a significant leak that you could find, it wouldn't get cool at all. Your VX was made eight years ago and it probably just needs a boost. Those cans of A/C recharge don't fly off the shelves only for system leaks. A little help is needed over a period of years. Even when brand new, I and others found the VX A/C was not ice cold like some other vehicles. Plenty cool enough, but not super cold, so it wouldn't take much of a drop over the years to need a boost to lower the temp.

Last month I picked up one of the recharge kits with a pressure gauge at Wal-Mart. All the ports are different size so you can't hook up to the wrong one. You want the light blue cap with a L on it, for the low pressure port. Your compressor may be cycling on and off due to conditions, so make sure the compressor is engaged to get the right reading. It needs to be 25-45 psi, NOT HIGHER.

Mine was right on the low end of okay at 25 psi, so a couple hits of the button got me up to 45 psi. It did make a difference and lower the temp a bit. Still not ice cold, but you know the story there. Always use the inside air recirc setting in really hot weather to lower the temp even more.

Mark

Ldub
06/27/2007, 06:45 AM
OH CRAP!!!!:o :eek: :eek: :o
thanks dub, ....im fallin apart. thanks for catching that, obviously, you know enough!!!
dj, and everyone else, i am sorry, for posting that and not being 100% sure, but you can recharge your a/c yourself, in most cases.
and yes, listen to ldub, very smart guy....
maybe ill try to get that post deleted.......
sorry sorry sooooo very very sorrry

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/100_1854.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_1854.JPG)

Buddy Dood...settle down, :p it was just a case of mistaken identity, no big deal & totally understandable after all the doo U been thru. ;)

And don't spread this around, but I ain't all that smart...wha?, is this thing on???...oh crap... :p

Dino
06/27/2007, 08:44 AM
If you had a significant leak that you could find, it wouldn't get cool at all. Your VX was made eight years ago and it probably just needs a boost. Those cans of A/C recharge don't fly off the shelves only for system leaks. A little help is needed over a period of years. Even when brand new, I and others found the VX A/C was not ice cold like some other vehicles. Plenty cool enough, but not super cold, so it wouldn't take much of a drop over the years to need a boost to lower the temp.

Last month I picked up one of the recharge kits with a pressure gauge at Wal-Mart. All the ports are different size so you can't hook up to the wrong one. You want the light blue cap with a L on it, for the low pressure port. Your compressor may be cycling on and off due to conditions, so make sure the compressor is engaged to get the right reading. It needs to be 25-45 psi, NOT HIGHER.

Mine was right on the low end of okay at 25 psi, so a couple hits of the button got me up to 45 psi. It did make a difference and lower the temp a bit. Still not ice cold, but you know the story there. Always use the inside air recirc setting in really hot weather to lower the temp even more.

Mark

Well, I've evacuated and recharged plenty of AC systems and I KNOW it doesn't just need a boost once in a while. :rolleyes:
The stuff has to leak out!!!!

Let's look a a regrigerator. If what you say is true, then we'd all be having our refrigerators recharged every few years. They don't leak because they're a nearly sealed system. Nowhere to leak out, no shakin and rattling down bumpy roads like a car.

The 25 psi you were reading was on the low side of the system. The high side can reach 250 psi. Those numbers change with charge amount.

Just more info to consider.

djkymar
06/27/2007, 08:51 AM
alrite thank you a lot guys for help. Im gonna check it out for leaks and try to recharge it with that kit then ill write up what happends.

VehiGAZ
06/27/2007, 07:07 PM
Dino, you're technical knowledge is an asset to the forum!

That said, I just dumped a can of recharge + leak sealant into my A/C, which was slowly losing cooling. After application, I still saw all bubbles in the sight-glass. But I figure if the leak is small and the sealant works, then I can give it another charge in a few days and it might hold. At $5-$6 a can, it's worth a try. Now I just have to check if my extended warranty covers the A/C system...

djkymar
06/27/2007, 07:19 PM
so today i did check on everything arond my A\C i touched all cables hoses and everything. I did not see any bubbles. Then i start driving and turn on my a\c and it start blowing freezing cold air in about 2 min after i turned on so now as i can feel it works fine but i didnt do anything to fix it just check it.

VehiGAZ
06/28/2007, 07:33 AM
DJ, you just let the system know you mean BUSINESS in this heat, and it got off its lazy butt and started working again! :-)

The can I put in last night made it blow much colder this morning, so at least I know my leak isn't so bad that the system is giving up the charge overnight. I'll throw another can in this weekend and see if I can get the bubbles to go away.

claylong
06/29/2007, 07:53 AM
I don't have a VX yet, so I know I can't comment on the AC systems for the VX, but living in Florida for the past 20 years I do know a little about ACs.

My personal opinion is this: Sure you can do things to make your AC better, or delay professional service by using the at-home charge kits, why risk it? The AC system is rather fragile, from what I understand, and something as simple as a little moisture inside the lines can cause serious damage to the compressor.

So in an attempt to delay service by using a few $6 cans of 134a might just end up costing you a compressor, drier, AND the original part that was causing the leak.

If you want to avoid the AC money trap, I would suggest getting some of the UV dye injected, find the leak, then get a shop to fix the part. The at-home charge is just too "rigged" for the prized VX.

Dino
06/29/2007, 09:09 AM
Good advice that! ;)

VehiGAZ
06/29/2007, 11:18 AM
And to both of your points, the leak-stop didn't stop anything, and my charge was gone again by the evening. You may begin telling me that you told me so at your convenience.

I called my dealership and made an appointment for next week. I have an extended warranty, so I'll be paying all of $100 in deductible for whatever they need to replace on the A/C, and for a second driver-side window regulator (i.e., for the "dreaded window problem").

Dino
06/29/2007, 07:20 PM
Hey that's pretty cool!!

DOH.. no pun intended. :p :rolleyes:

VehiGAZ
07/05/2007, 01:47 PM
Follow-up...

Turns out I had a leak in my condenser and a blockage in the lines to boot (don't recall where exactly). Hmm... blockage discovered after leak-stop added... a little suspicious you think? Of course, nothing conclusive, so take that little bit with a grain of salt.

Anyway, now it's the old two-trip repair... bring it in to diagnose and order parts, then bring it in again to get it fixed.

Monday... S/C install!!!

ZEUS
07/18/2007, 06:09 PM
Just now, I tried the take home kit before reading his thread. Oops... So now I don't know what is going on - the first reading showed over 100 psi on the low port!!! :eek: WHY!? Then the 2nd reading showed 45 abouts. The directions say to get a reading of 55 psi. So I figured I did something wrong to get the 1st reading. I then added some frig. and saw it get close to 55 and backed it off - BAM, it shot right back up to 90 psi just like that!! WTF! I relieved some pressure cuz the clutch kept kicking in - I ended up taking it right back down to 45 psi to stay out of the danger zone. That's right, it wouldn't stay steady! It would hover up to 65 psi before the clutch would relieve pressure again and then drop to 45. I decided to drive around a bit and now it stays right where it was before I started this little drama. What is going on? Anybody?

I will prob'ly take it in for service to make sure I didn't screw something up, which defeats the purpose of the kit altogether! :mad:

Ldub
07/18/2007, 06:12 PM
Just now, I tried the take home kit before reading his thread. Oops... So now I don't know what is going on - the first reading showed over 100 psi on the low port!!! :eek: WHY!? Then the 2nd reading showed 45 abouts. The directions say to get a reading of 55 psi. So I figured I did something wrong to get the 1st reading. I then added some frig. and saw it get close to 55 and backed it off - BAM, it shot right back up to 90 psi just like that!! WTF! I relieved some pressure cuz the clutch kept kicking in - I ended up taking it right back down to 45 psi to stay out of the danger zone. That's right, it wouldn't stay steady! It would hover up to 65 psi before the clutch would relieve pressure again and then drop to 45. I decided to drive around a bit and now it stays right where it was before I started this little drama. What is going on? Anybody?

I will prob'ly take it in for service to make sure I didn't screw something up, which defeats the purpose of the kit altogether! :mad:

Did you have the AC cranked to the max when recharging?

ZEUS
07/18/2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah! Not sure what happened - intermittent clog?

Ldub
07/18/2007, 07:46 PM
Maybe...no clue from this end. :confused: