PDA

View Full Version : OME 912 install Question

Grand_Canyon_VXer
07/04/2007, 04:24 PM
Hi Guys & Gals - I installed my 912's a little over a month ago. After initial install there was a pronounced rattle coming from the back of the truck. I assumed it would go away after the springs settled. It has not. I can not see anything loose under there. Also, it is only on the little chatter bumps on paved road.

Any ideas? It sounds like the spring is rattling around under there but I can imagine that.

Thanks in advance!

Chopper
07/04/2007, 05:44 PM
Are you sure the springs are seated correctly, in relation to the "rubber" seating pad? A half turn (or less) off, and they will get noisy. Make sure that rubber is seated correctly, and the spring on it. Look at it hard, you'll see there is only one correct position. My rear can get a bit clunky over sharp bumps, or multiple small ones. In my case, it is as much the spare/rear door as anything else. Good luck...you'll get it.

Ldub
07/05/2007, 05:22 AM
Also, be sure you have them in "right side up"...as Chopper mentioned, they're designed to go in one way only.
Look closely at the how the end of the last coil is supposed to sit on the bottom spring perch on top of the axle.

Grand_Canyon_VXer
07/05/2007, 07:05 AM
Hey Guys - thanks, I have the springs in where the tightly wound part of the spring is at the bottom or on the axle. I will check to see if I can get them fitted better. Is it worth replacing the plastic / rubber at each end of the spring it rests in?

Thanks,
Mike

Ldub
07/05/2007, 09:54 AM
Hey Guys - thanks, I have the springs in where the tightly wound part of the spring is at the bottom or on the axle. I will check to see if I can get them fitted better. Is it worth replacing the plastic / rubber at each end of the spring it rests in?

Thanks,
Mike

That'd be you problem right there Mike...the tightly wound part goes UP.
Notice that on the tightly wound end, the spring has a taper ground into the end of the coil making the end sit flat...this goes up & rests on the rubber pad in the upper spring bucket.
The lower end engages an indent in the spring perch to keep them from rotating. Look closely & you'll see what I mean. ;)

JHarris1385
07/05/2007, 10:28 AM
Woah, wait a second. I have been riding around with the tightly wound part sitting on the axel. Since that part is flat i figured it needed to rest on the axel's top.

Grand_Canyon_VXer
07/05/2007, 10:37 AM
OK - well I'll try flipping the springs. I am almost positive I saw the indention for the coil when I put the new springs in. I thought it was a bit strange but the OEM springs did not have a flat spot so I figured it would be OK.... guess not..

Thanks for the info... I'll report after i get them flipped.

Mike

Grand_Canyon_VXer
07/10/2007, 06:19 PM
Well - got it fixed this weekend. Big thanks for Ldub for pointing out I had them in upside down... feeling stupid... over it now... :)
The ride is silent and it was much easier to remove and flip this time due to the springs being "broken in" I am assuming....

Thanks again.

Mike

Ldub
07/10/2007, 06:49 PM
Well - got it fixed this weekend. Big thanks for Ldub for pointing out I had them in upside down... feeling stupid... over it now... :)

Thanks again.

Mike

Don't sweat it Mike...when you stop making mistakes, it means you're not doing much of anything. ;)

tomdietrying
07/11/2007, 08:05 AM
I'm going to check my springs today. Does anyone know if you can tell if they are upside down without pulling them out again?
Peace.
Tom

JHarris1385
07/11/2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah I for sure thought the compressed part of the spring rest of the top of the axel. Considering on the bottom of the compressed part the spring is flat making it lye on the axel flat.

CrnCnn
07/11/2007, 11:03 AM
Im pretty sure Billy's write up said that the flat part goes up. Have to search for it.

Ldub
07/11/2007, 11:09 AM
I'm going to check my springs today. Does anyone know if you can tell if they are upside down without pulling them out again?
Peace.
Tom

If you crawl under & give em' a look, the more tightly wound coils (closer together) should be up. ;)
The other end of the spring engages a stop in the spring perch on the axle, that keeps them from rotating.