PDA

View Full Version : Warning for the stupid, like me

Chopper
07/09/2007, 03:41 PM
:mad: When you get to the gas station, and you can't really pull up to the pump quite, so you pull out the hose, hard, and manage to get the nozzle in the hole... when you are done, you will find, that the outter ring of the fuel door, has cracked. Now fuming mad, you will go home, call your local Isuzu dealer, and be quoted just under 100 bucks... so for the *#@!% of it you call Merlin at St. Charles, and mention this website, and do a little a** kiss (all parts and service guys love this-pizzas or subs from a customer are always worth twenty times their cost at our shop...with beer...twentyfive) you will get the stupid door for 81 bucks. I may as well have filled this tank in Italy...over $140....ouch. You are warned, that ring is Pot Metal...not aluminium...or steel....or machined at all. It is a cast, pot metal, hunk o' crap, that will bust if you put even a few ounces of pressure on the open door. My new, cast, pot metal, hunk o' crap, fuel door will be here Thursday or Friday. I will be more patient... this will not happen again...I will be more patient.

Dino
07/09/2007, 07:31 PM
Hard lesson Chopper. Sorry, but thanks for the warning. :(

Mine has a bit of corrosion under the silver paint. I know metals well enough to see that its made of pot metal by the look of the corrosion. :confused:

johnnyapollo
07/09/2007, 08:47 PM
Mine cracked too - bought a used one from someone parting a wreck for $40 shipped.

-- John

Triathlete
07/09/2007, 10:50 PM
Wait till you price the center caps on the wheels...will make that filler door seem like a bargin! I thought the local dealler was giving me a price for a whole new wheel! ;eeky; ;eeko; ;eekr;

IndianaVX
07/10/2007, 08:24 PM
what jerks,
to think this all could have been prevented if they just installed longer hoses..:mad:

;)

etlsport
09/02/2007, 03:19 PM
these doors are also not painted well! i used some purple power on the cladding.. started to strip the paint off of the door.. looked awful.. so had to repaint it.. went w/ a hammered black finish.. turned out decently..although the clearcoat on it kinda flattened out the hammered finish

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/fuel_door_004.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/fuel_door_004.jpg)

IndianaVX
09/07/2007, 09:25 PM
well, i may make you feel smarter chopper, with this little story from today......
as i was standing in line at a gas station, waiting to pay for my pop, i was just looking around, watchin people, (it was a loooong line) so this character is out by the pumps getting gas. hes talkin on his phone, and from what i could see, there were alot of YO YO YO's , and what not in his conversation. so hes got the nozzle in his tank, and hes talkin, and talkin, so he decides to sit in his car, while waitin for the punp to quit. well, this FOOL forgets what stage of getting gas he is in.........yup, after about 20 seconds in his car, i see brake lights, a bit of exhaust, and he pulls away RIPPING THE HOSE COMPLETLY OFF THE PUMP!!!!! then i saw the brake lights again..lol.....
what a hoser.....lol
we all got a laugh in the store, after we knew that we wernt going to go up in a big explosion......:)

etl, yeah, super clean does the same thing to the gas cap cover.......sounds like the same stuff you used......

Chopper
09/08/2007, 09:06 AM
Nope, I'm still stupid....walked into the garage wearing sunglasses, a few years back...and proceded to drive thru the garage screen.

rowhard
09/08/2007, 10:45 AM
I have been wondering, you see those nice chrome ones for sale in the parts stores, wonder if our's isn't a off the shelf GM model. Might be worth investigating. Just a thought.

IndianaVX
09/08/2007, 11:01 AM
i saw one on a pontiac soltice (???) i think that looked very similar.....or it may have been the 350 nissan, it was kinda on top the rr "fender/body panel......

Chopper
09/08/2007, 04:00 PM
I think a number of the A.M. ones will (or can be made to) work...you most likely lose the lock feature though.

SkidPlate
09/08/2007, 08:23 PM
I've seen this style fuel door on a lot of newer vehicles... and to think the VX had it 8 years ago! Makes sense that the original is pot metal, well maybe not.

Would be nice to find a replacement that would accept a lock cylinder swap, probably asking too much.

But really, who steals gas.. comon.

Chopper
09/09/2007, 07:40 AM
Aircraft had 'em in the fourties ;)