PDA

View Full Version : Shocks For VX

Lizardmen3477
07/12/2007, 03:54 PM
Could I get some suggestions on a few questions bout shocks?

1. How long on avg does shocks last on a VX if it is only normal driving not offroading?

2. What is a good shock that provides a good ride at reasonable cost for only normal driving no offroading.

3. Please provides links or places to buy the shocks you recommend.

Thanks for everyones input I like consulting for fellow VXers before I make any decisions. Thats why a lot of my posts are qustions.

Ldub
07/13/2007, 05:00 AM
I think the majority around here would agree that Rancho 9000's are the most often used aftermarket shock.
I'm still using my original stockers @ 50,000 mi. & am starting to notice a little "sponginess".
I have an extra set that I'm planning to have re-built when finances allow. :rolleyes:

Do a forum search on shocks & you'll find LOTS of info on the subject. ;)

VehiGAZ
07/13/2007, 05:37 AM
Do the search and you will find all the info, debates, and links you want.

A quick comparison...

Rancho 9000s are adjustable, but only for bump or rebound (don't recall which).

Bilsteins B46-1738/1739's provide a near-stock ride and have a lifetime warranty.

Both can be found for reasonable prices. I got my Bils here: http://www.shox.com/

deermagnet
07/13/2007, 06:57 AM
I've read a couple times here that the Rancho RS9000X shocks do not adjust for both rebound and compression. I don't know where that came from. When you try these by hand right outta the box, you can feel the same resistance both ways in the different settings.

Their web site does say these shocks can be mounted in either direction if the application permits. If they only adjusted one way, they would need to tell you that 'cuz it would make a huge difference in the ride mounted one way or the other. Their site doesn't have anything specific about the settings working both ways so I sent a question to their tech support and got the following reply-
Thank you for your interest in Rancho products. The adjustable RS9000 series shocks adjust the rebound and compression at the same time when you turn the knob through all the settings.

Rancho team member
Vladi

These shocks are the best thing I've ever done for my VX. Knowing what I know now, I woulda replaced the stock shocks within three days after buying my VX new. My first two sets lasted for 50,000 miles each. I'm still lovin' the ride with my third set on 8.

Lots of folks like the stock shocks and don't like the RS9000X shocks even set on 9. People like me looking for a softer ride really like the change these shocks give you.

Mark Griffin

Lizardmen3477
07/13/2007, 01:32 PM
Yes i would like a softer ride and i heard lot bout the rancho 9000x just making sure they are as good as people say and it seems it cause im going on 100k i think i need new ones.

uncle_asa
07/13/2007, 07:54 PM
I have KYB Monomax installed, but does not feel comfortable with them. I heard report from the guy who swapped Monomax to RS9000 and he told that he rates original shocks as choise #1, then Monomax, then Rancho.

There was also reports that Tokico is a good choice and give you very comfortable ride unless you drive like a Formula #1 pilot, because of they not firm enough as stock on corners :)

I'm personally think that I will swap mine with OME as soon as Monomax die...

Lizardmen3477
07/14/2007, 03:46 AM
Ok so now i hear there not good hmmmm so confused i just want a nice ride. Wel how bout if it is possible to buy new stock shocks and have them put on?

Ldub
07/14/2007, 05:46 AM
Ok so now i hear there not good hmmmm so confused i just want a nice ride. Wel how bout if it is possible to buy new stock shocks and have them put on?

Last I heard, new Isuzu replacement shocks were tippin' the scales at over four hundred $...EACH :eek: ...give Merlin a call @ St.Charles Isuzu (800-727-8966) to check on this.

There is a guy in NC that will re-build the stockers for about $120-130 ea.(sorry, can't remember exact price) Bruces Suspension (704-637-3675).

Just another option.

Lizardmen3477
07/14/2007, 06:58 AM
Dang!!! Ok nvm that. I am going to look into OME now and see what their bout anymore suggestions will be awesome. Thanks

etlsport
07/14/2007, 07:28 AM
anyone ever tried edelbrock shocks on a vx or another vehicle? ive been happy with all the other edelbrock stuff i got and these shocks look like they might be able to keep up with the stockers if they make them that would fit the vx...

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/300/350/350-63907.jpg

Edelbrock Xtreme Travel Shocks
The Edelbrock Xtreme Travel Shocks are the ultimate in off-raod shocks. They have extra travel for improved off road performance with increased oil capacity for cooler operation. The 5/8'' diameter nitro steel piston rod provides the most off-road durability in a shock.

Chopper
07/15/2007, 05:29 PM
Go with the original KYBs. Yeah they are expensive, but the whole kit was more or less designed around them. That's why you get such tenacious cornering grip, from a vehicle this tall. Any softer, it will wallow, any stiffer, it will pogo. Spend the sheckles, go OEM! Wayne

Lizardmen3477
07/15/2007, 06:19 PM
Sorry but im not spending 1600 on some shocks thats crazy i will get some opinions of the pros round here see what they think. I like the OME so far.