PDA

View Full Version : New tool for engine builders

Chopper
07/15/2007, 05:16 AM
Most newer engines utilize a one use bolt, that stretches as it's torqued. Now you are not just measuring Lb/Ft, but also ''torque angle". This requires a somewhat clumsy Jig to be used with the wrench when tightening the bolts. You will find these bolts are all but universal on heads and intakes in particular. Friday, I spent about 300 bucks on the Snap- On truck, purchasing a spiffy new torque wrench that does it all...with a digital readout and audio signal. No jig, no +or- 4 degrees, none of it. Just torque to the beep...cool. Accurate to like 1-2 degrees. I know, $268 (cash deal, 3 something on the books) seems like a lot for a tool Ace sells for $40, but if you do more than one set of heads, you owe it to yourself to at least check it out. This isn't an ad, just a heads up to all you more than casual mechanics out there. Save the ol' 40 buck clicker for the oil pan bolts. ;)

Ldub
07/15/2007, 05:28 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets the "kid in a candy store" feeling when I get cool new tools or parts for the truck. :cool:

Chopper
07/15/2007, 05:41 AM
Makes me wanna yank the heads, just to stretch a few bolts :p

Ldub
07/15/2007, 05:48 AM
Makes me wanna drive down to sunny FLA & help...hang on, don't start without me. ;) I'll be there in a day or three. :laughgray