PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Hood Insert Question

Joe Isuzu
07/15/2007, 04:07 PM
OK, some of you may have remembered that when I got my VX one of the hood insert mounting studs had broken off. The prior owner appeared to simply put a glob of urethane between the hood insert and the hood. That Over time it got worse and one side of the insert was noticeably higher than the other.
I've taken the hood insert off and finally got the urethane off the hood, the insert and freed the mounting stud as well.
Question is this: I've used a waterproof glue as well as JB Weld and neither time was I able to glue the stud back to the hood insert. Both times it lasted only a couple of days before the hood insert came apart from the stud.
What do you all recommend using to PERMANENTLY mount this stud back to the hood insert. I'm tired of going through this process. Anybody have any ideas on what that old yellow glop was that Isuzu used originally, you know the one that magically still works after 7 years when nothing I try works past 7 days?!?!?

Dino
07/15/2007, 04:15 PM
Grind the area clean. Grind the stud clean.

Get some fiberglass cloth and some EPOXY resin.

Mix the resin as per included instructions.
With good scissors, cut a circle of fiberglass cloth about one inch bigger in diameter than the base of the stud. Cut a slit in the fiberglass cloth for the stud to poke through.

With a 2" paint brush, apply some resin to the spot where the stud goes. (how to align it is up to you)
Apply some resin to the base of the stud and set in place.
Place precut fiberglass cloth down over stud and pat into place with resin soaked brush. Get the cloth completely wet out with resin. Allow the resin to cure and you are DONE!!!
Wear rubber gloves and work in a vetilated area, and/or wear a respirator.
Allow the brush and the resin to cure also then dispose of it.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :p

Joe Isuzu
07/15/2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks Dino!
Um, where do I get fiberglass cloth? :confused:
Isn't JB Weld an epoxy glue?

Ldub
07/15/2007, 04:23 PM
WOW...that's a way better fix than the duct tape & bailing wire solution I was gonna recommend. :rolleyes: :p

Chopper
07/15/2007, 05:06 PM
Auto paint and body supplies...try the yellow pages.

newthings
07/15/2007, 05:37 PM
You might try 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It come in yellow and black. An amazing product along with duct tape, zip ties and Velcro.
It dries quickly. It is very sticky. It is water proof and remains flexible. I made a tear in the VX rear door gasket. ($200.!!) I applied the 3M to the torn surfaces and I cannot find the tear after 2 years. The 3M product is far better than other brands.
Roy

Joe Isuzu
07/15/2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for all the input! Wish me luck, I'm tired of fiddling with this.

rowhard
07/15/2007, 06:33 PM
Joe, you can also get glassfiber cloth and resin, either epoxy or polyester resin at any boat plase like west Marine or what have you in your area. Epoxy is stronger, longer work time but more expensive.