PDA

View Full Version : another idle question??

gabilangabby
07/19/2007, 08:24 PM
my vx actually has high rpm sometimes... and then sometimes its kinda low..... theres even times when it going up and down on its own (without any acceleration.... does anyone know what this is??? (it happens when i drive too....)

etlsport
07/19/2007, 08:35 PM
two good places to start...

intake manifold gaskets.. do a search.. stock torque specs specify that the bolts be tightened down really tight, this has led to squishing the gaskets too much and causing leaks.. there has been a technical service bulletin about it and the new torque specs seem to help, or maybe its an improved gasket material.. dont remember, but as youll find in a search, with your engine running spray carb cleaner around the seals and listen for the engine rpms to change (i forget if they shoot up or stall... search will tell you) if your engine reacts to the spray, youll know you have a leak in your gaskets

easier/cheaper fixes i would start with... fuel filter.. easy do it yourself job.. its located just inside the passenger side frame rail about in line with the VehiCROSS logo on the pillar

fuel pressure regulator.. VXs commonly have trouble with them, not really sure why....

clean your EGR valve..

maybe even try running some seafoam through your engine and gas.. see if that helps good luck!

gabilangabby
07/21/2007, 05:51 PM
where is the egr valve?? and where is the fuel pressure regulator??

VehiGAZ
07/23/2007, 05:49 PM
I had the same problem on my VX, and found during my S/C install that at least one of my intake manifold gaskets was cracked, causing the variable idle.

Sorry - can't help you on the EGR and FPR locations. Search for the "Supercharger 101" thread and see if he has them labeled in the pictures.

gabilangabby
07/23/2007, 06:18 PM
thanks.... i will have to replace that gasket... and i found the egr valve.... its tough to get to.... but i'll see what i can do.

mdwyer
07/23/2007, 06:25 PM
where is the egr valve?? and where is the fuel pressure regulator??

Well, if you've got your head poked under the hood, the EGR is the cannister-shaped thing on the back-left of the engine.

You should probably click here (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewfile&id=20) and get the complete manual. Look at page 1246.

The fuel pressure regulator is somewhere around the engine. I haven't had to look for it, yet, so I haven't found it. :)

One more thing to add to your list -- Right on the front of the engine, where the air hose connects to the throttle body. On the right of that throttle body is a little black cylinder with a cable coming out of it. This is the Idle Air Control valve. If you're lucky, this is your problem. It is pretty easy to pull this out (use a Torx bit to remove the two screws). If it is caked with black stuff, hit it with some sensor-safe cleaner and some shop towels. It doesn't have to be shiney, but in my case, it worked MUCH better after I cleaned the gunk off of the pintle and out of the throttle body.

Read the manual on it, too, though. You can do damage if the pintle gets pulled out too much.