PDA

View Full Version : My 4 year / 45,000+ mile opinion of Pirelli Scorpion Zero Tires (Size 285/55/R18)

Grant Eaton
07/25/2007, 05:49 PM
I had a set of Pirelli Scorpion Zeros installed on stock 18” rims around June 2003. They were size 285/55/R18 – the largest size you can get without trimming the cladding.

Four years and 45,000+ miles later, here is my opinion:

This tire ran like a unmemorable, lukewarm date. It was not particularly remarkable in its good qualities and for me, unacceptable in its bad qualities. I wouldn't go out with it again. :rolleyes:

Pros:

Very sticky on the streets.
Good grip in turns.
Quieter than stock tires.
Cute yellow scorpion logo matches the Proton nicely. ;-)

Cons:

Caused my VX to “ride the rails” (slight grooves in the highway pavement created by semi-trucks). In the final 2 1/2 years, driving on certain stretches of highway was a “white knuckle” experience because the tires followed every groove, indentation, and pothole like a magnet. This problem became worse and worse as the tires aged. I cannot recommend these tires for this reason alone. Driving on imperfect highways was a scary experience requiring full driver concentration and two hands on the wheel. :(
Another owner on here (John Eaton, I think?) reported that these same tires caused his alignment to go out of whack. When I finally got my new set of tires in July 2007, I found that my alignment was also off. I am not sure if the Pirellis caused this or not, but it lends credence to what John stated.
The tires wore very unevenly, probably due to the above issue. I had them rotated every 7,500 miles or so.

As of this past week, I replaced my Pirellis with Toyo Proxes S/T in a slightly larger size of 285/60/R18. Hopefully this tire set will be better. Already I can tell that they don't have tendency to "ride the rails" like Pirellis. :p

johnnyapollo
07/25/2007, 06:35 PM
Yup - that was me. Got rid of the Scorpions at about 36k miles and replaced with Kumho Ecstas.

-- John

BritVX
07/26/2007, 01:40 AM
Thanks very much for that info I was just about to buy a set for my wife's XC90 but I think I'll look elsewhere. Any suggestions? her driving is mainly road with the odd track.

Cheers

Col