PDA

View Full Version : Slight clicking or gapping in steering?

xdfarrx
07/29/2007, 04:20 PM
Hey VX crew,
I have a slight clicking when my steering goes left to right. Happens when the steering wheel goes from TDC to left or right.

Might anyone have suggestion for any linkage bolts/nuts regarding this to tighten?

I will be siphoning and replacing PS fluid next couple days and will do a visual to asses anything.

TIA

mdwyer
07/29/2007, 04:37 PM
Hey VX crew,
I have a slight clicking when my steering goes left to right. Happens when the steering wheel goes from TDC to left or right.

Continuous ticking, as if it was the pump? Or only ticking when you turn the wheel, as if it was the steering column?

xdfarrx
07/29/2007, 06:09 PM
Continuous ticking, as if it was the pump? Or only ticking when you turn the wheel, as if it was the steering column?
Nope, as mentioned at the top, or when I go from one direction to another. Also will feel it sometimes when turn over a bump.
It is not a rattle.
I will check steering box unti and tighten from there to see if that helps...

Diogenes
07/30/2007, 08:26 PM
Bad CV joint? This is common with other vehicles and they "click" when you're turning, but are fine when you're running straight.

Check for cracks in your CV boot for any cracks/splits. If the grease has spilled out, it should be apparent on the boot.

If this is the case, then you're in for a whole new CV joint assembly it would seem. That clicking sound is your joint starting to lock up.

Hopefully this is not the problem.. But something to check out.

Diogenes

xdfarrx
07/30/2007, 08:29 PM
Bad CV joint? This is common with other vehicles and they "click" when you're turning, but are fine when you're running straight.

Check for cracks in your CV boot for any cracks/splits. If the grease has spilled out, it should be apparent on the boot.

If this is the case, then you're in for a whole new CV joint assembly it would seem. That clicking sound is your joint starting to lock up.

Hopefully this is not the problem.. But something to check out.

Diogenes
CV boots look in solid condition.
Tightening the steering box adjustment to see if this makes it better. Its not bad but as you know you can feel everything in our vx's...

Dino
07/31/2007, 12:51 AM
I say ball joints need to be checked.

xdfarrx
07/31/2007, 06:46 AM
I know where they are at, however, is there a way I can confirm if they are bad. The slight clunk I feel through the wheel.

Might anyone have a suggestion?

The tightening of the steering box yieded just tighter feel from wheel left to right...

iownvx
08/03/2007, 05:55 PM
Same problem here. Steering wheel clicks once when turning from counterclockwise dirction to clockwise direction.

Knigh7s
08/03/2007, 09:22 PM
Same problem here. Steering wheel clicks once when turning from counterclockwise dirction to clockwise direction.

thats exactly what mine does, from counter-clockwise to clockwise... it does get annoying

xdfarrx
08/04/2007, 05:20 AM
Well guys time to get our slueth hats on. I am starting with the new ball joints. Will report results.

WormGod
08/06/2007, 06:57 AM
I am thinking ball joints, perhaps bearings. The clicking/catching could be some crud/rust in the bearings and is actually a lovely grinding. Speculation is king! Tear it down and see what the verdict is. I am going on 44k miles and have not repacked my bearings AT ALL yet. No issues as of yet, but I smell it coming....

xdfarrx
08/06/2007, 07:04 AM
I am thinking ball joints, perhaps bearings. The clicking/catching could be some crud/rust in the bearings and is actually a lovely grinding. Speculation is king! Tear it down and see what the verdict is. I am going on 44k miles and have not repacked my bearings AT ALL yet. No issues as of yet, but I smell it coming....

Are you implying wheel bearings? When mine were redone they were in really great shape. Ball joints top and bottom I will replace the tie rod adjusters, and ball joints.

If anyone has product recommendations for new Ball joints , preferably aftermarket, please post.
Thanks

WormGod
08/07/2007, 05:58 AM
Before you replace ANYTHING, clean it all up and lube it all up real good and see how it fares. May be that you just have some junk-on-junk action on the ball joints and its working like an elderly person's dried out hip socket, heh.

And no, the bearings was a far-fetched guess as to possible culprits. I highly doubt that is the issue, but they do cause some related symptoms.

xdfarrx
08/07/2007, 07:04 AM
Before you replace ANYTHING, clean it all up and lube it all up real good and see how it fares. May be that you just have some junk-on-junk action on the ball joints and its working like an elderly person's dried out hip socket, heh.

And no, the bearings was a far-fetched guess as to possible culprits. I highly doubt that is the issue, but they do cause some related symptoms.

What type of lube? Some points are sealed too (somewhat)...
I have noticed the looseness I can feel tactilly (sp?) on some bumps. :(
Thanks for the feedback.

mrtew
08/07/2007, 05:16 PM
I have always had the tick in my wheel since my VX was new and I remember people discussing it before and everyone seemed to have it or at least say it was normal. You can even feel it when the truck is turned off, or at least when you're stopped waiting at a light. I think it's just the inside of the wheel touching the turn signal or the wheel lock a little.... nothing wrong.

VXNIT
08/08/2007, 03:00 PM
I agree just play in steering whell assembly. Just a small click or looseness...