PDA

View Full Version : Accellerator hesitating/ nearly dying...

VXIRONwoMAN
08/03/2007, 08:29 AM
This morning I started my VX and as I went to pull away from my house. I tried to accelerate and it didn't want to move forward (it was just coasting)and then it nearly died, but then I pushed on the gas more and it took off fine. Anyone experience anything like this??? I'm scared... :(

mdwyer
08/03/2007, 08:53 AM
I had that... I don't know what it was, but I haven't had it since I
o Replaced the PCV valve
o Cleaned the Idle Air Control system
o Replaced my mode switch

It could be any one of those. :(

etlsport
08/03/2007, 09:24 AM
sounds like it could be fuel too... try the fuel filter?

any trouble starting when the engine has only been sitting for 5-30 minutes? that could be fuel pressure reg

zeebob1
08/03/2007, 09:36 AM
My ABS warning light comes on and stays on. Has anyone else had this problem and what did it take to fix it? I read the owner's manual and it says to take it in for service even though it will not effect the actual braking capability. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ZB1

VXIRONwoMAN
08/03/2007, 09:52 AM
My ABS warning light comes on and stays on. Has anyone else had this problem and what did it take to fix it? I read the owner's manual and it says to take it in for service even though it will not effect the actual braking capability. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ZB1

there are plenty of other threads that will help you with this problem. Just search the forums...

thanks

now back to the feature presentation!

mdwyer
08/03/2007, 10:43 AM
I tried to accelerate and it didn't want to move forward (it was just coasting)and then it nearly died, but then I pushed on the gas more and it took off fine. Anyone experience anything like this??? I'm scared... :(

Okay, let me make sure I understand this right... you "tried to accelerate". Did the engine speed come up, but the transmission didn't put any power to the wheels?

If that's the case, the manuals said something about it taking a few seconds to build up enough pressure in the torque converter. For a few seconds, this is normal, but if something was broken, it takes an extended amount of time.

The other way I could read it is that you stepped on the gas, but the engine didn't speed up, and in fact started to sputter.

In that case, I would check for vacuum problems. Something seems to be wrong with engine controls.

At the very least, pull out the PCV and give it a shake. If it doesn't rattle, replace it. That'll cost you about $3 and 5 minutes at the worst case.

I think you just replaced your mode switch, didn't you? So it probably isn't that.

If you've got the Torx screwdriver handy, it is pretty easy to pull out the AIC for a peek. Mine was caked with black gunk. I used some sensor-safe throttle cleaner to clean it and the throttle body.

VehiGAZ
08/03/2007, 11:46 AM
I'm throwing in with etlsport - I think your problem has to do with fuel pressure VXIW...

After getting supercharged a couple of weeks ago, I was having problems with the engine not wanting to start right away. I was advised by two other supercharged VXers that they had the same problem after installing the S/C and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. I have not done anything about it yet, though.

Then in the last three days, the engine has been starting fine, but I have experienced the same hesitation when getting on the gas first thing in the morning as you just described. I have to back up our driveway to the road, so it's a high-load situation, and the engine hesitated and wanted to die each time before "catching" and going about its business normally.

So with all that in mind, I think that my problem as well as yours has something to do with the fuel pressure regulator. If it keeps up that is... that kind of thing can happen sporadically, as it has on most of my vehicles.

VXIRONwoMAN
08/03/2007, 04:05 PM
I think you just replaced your mode switch, didn't you? So it probably isn't that.

Sorry I didn't clarify... my problem is with the Proton. I replaced the mode switch on the Ironman. the engine accelerates but the power isn't being put in motion. It rev's as I accelerate but went now where. Then it kicked in on the second try. It was as if I put it in Neutral though it was in drive. My Ironman did that a few times before I replaced the mode switch... but i didn't think it was related. Now with the 2nd VX I think it may be another sign of the mode switch going bad.??? I don't know. I went and had the tranny fluid flushed today, since the previous owner said it had never been flushed!!! YIKES! It has 80K miles on it...don't know how that one was allowed to slide??? Gave the Proton the Granite Auto Grooming Detail (i.e. the really expensive but the better than brand new one) today. So in the past 2 weeks she has had an oil change, a tranny flush, a detail, and a full tank of gas...Totaling...$700...I love my VX!!!! I just wish money grew on trees.

mdwyer
08/03/2007, 07:04 PM
the engine accelerates but the power isn't being put in motion. It rev's as I accelerate but went nowhere. Then it kicked in on the second try. It was as if I put it in Neutral though it was in drive.

Well, I went all Rainman on the tech docs -- tried to memorize the whole thing -- and I swore I read about this already... So tonight I looked through the docs again for you, and here's what I found:

Page 1316: Chart5a - Delays in Drive and Reverse
NOTE: A short delay (less than 3 seconds) when first engaging drive or reverse after allowing vehicle to sit overnight is normal.

If it was more than that, you're led to page 1321, where it talks about possible causes of Low Line Pressure.

One of the causes of low line pressure is *ahem* having balls out of place. :p How to fix? "Install balls."

Gawd, I really need to grow up one of these days... Anyway, do you think it is possible that this was just the 3-second thing? That what I thought it was in my case. However, a few weeks later, my mode switch started freaking out. I have no idea if those are related.

CrnCnn
08/03/2007, 07:07 PM
there are plenty of other threads that will help you with this problem. Just search the forums...

thanks

now back to the feature presentation!

Way to get ahold of your thread... :)

I would side with Etl, my parents truck(Not a VX) did this and it was the filter.

etlsport
08/03/2007, 07:18 PM
hm if the engine revs up with no issue maybe its not fuel pressure.. when i had fuel pressure issues, i couldnt get over 2k rpms on occasion and vx would sputter when i stopped at a light or somethin as soon as i stopped completely rpms would drop really low and would sputter then 98% of the time recover.. other 2% it would stall...

had the occasional hard start as well (after 5-30 min of the engine sitting after driving) i would start and engine would crank for awhile before turning over.. and rpms would move sporadically between 500-1500rpms and the vx would want to die unless i kept my foot on the gas for a bit, then things would calm down and would drive fine

if your engine is revving up normally i would guess a transmission/tcase issue like others have mentioned

WormGod
08/06/2007, 06:46 AM
Yep, I suspect fuel issue. I got this same issue a few years back (pre-S/C). I changed out my PCV and fuel filter, but found that it still did it on occasion. I tore down the fuel rails and cleaned out the injectors really well and reinstalled. Problem solved. A lot of dirty work for a simple fuel injector cleaning, so maybe there is an addictive you can try in your gas to clean out your lines to hopefully avoid this process.