PDA

View Full Version : Cold seized; Broken stud :(

xdfarrx
08/07/2007, 04:39 PM
Installing new Transmission Mode Switch.

The main stud that sit in the middle of the unit; where the linkage rotates broke off.

I soaked the bastard in PB cleaner for a good 20 minutes. Good news it sheared level with the mode switch orafice.

I'm pretty bummed though. No microfiche to secure new hardware, so I have to gamble if Merlin can pull it get me the right parts.

But before that I have to extra the broken one. Given there is 3-4 cm's exposed when I remove the unit I might be ok... I HOPE

Hopefully the stud is not a solid state build (I doubt it) and maybe is a two sided stud.

If anyone could chime in it would be very appreciated

df

mdwyer
08/07/2007, 07:29 PM
I really hope I've misunderstood your post...

You're talking about the rotating rod with a single bolt that attaches to the selector lever? The rod that passes THROUGH the mode switch assembly?

I imagine if you had to replace that, you'd be taking apart the transmission. I have no idea what's on the other side of that... :(

xdfarrx
08/07/2007, 07:59 PM
No you didnt misunderstand... I'm f'd.

IndianaVX
08/07/2007, 08:44 PM
im not sure about what, or where you are talking about but i have cut slots in the top of broken bolts, and used a screwdriver to get them out before. also, i have used combinations of heat, and cold to remove bolts......just trying to help.

xdfarrx
08/08/2007, 05:46 AM
Just to clarify... it is not a bolt. It is the rod that goes into the tranny cog, telling the tranny what gear to be in. The top of it is threaded. That is what cold seized and I broke that, Per my looking into tranny has to come apart to fix. I screwed the pooch on this one. :(

AREA 51
08/08/2007, 06:23 AM
2 possible options.

Drill, tap insert stud and or locktite a helicoil to restore original diameter- or dual size/ended stud.

Have an electric welding shop DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY TERMINALS and tack a piece of rod to the remaining stud to use as a ground attachment, then weld a new piece of bolt or stud to existing shift selector rod. Remove tacked on ground rod and grind down tack area if needed.
Check shift selector motion to insure welding did not fuse any internal shifting linkage.