PDA

View Full Version : Doh!!!!

CrnCnn
08/18/2007, 05:44 PM
This morning the wife and I were headed out to the VX to go to my company picnic. It just so happened that last night when we got home I backed into our spot. This turned out to be a good thing because as I walked up to open her door I glanced at something that caught my eye in the wheel well.

This is what I saw….
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/SP_A0432.jpg

So right away I new my CV boot was torn. Hoping I was wrong I got down and looked and sure enough…
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/SP_A0431.jpg

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

Things just get worse and worse…. When I need money for one thing another pops up, then another, then another…

Ldub
08/18/2007, 06:50 PM
I'd say...good catch, you saved yourself a pile-o-dough by catching it early. ;)

Chopper
08/18/2007, 06:51 PM
I like that you open the ladies door first...must be over 30 :rolleyes: Dust off your wrenches, and use the search function

Chopper
08/18/2007, 06:56 PM
Try the duct tape and frequent greasing solution. You may nurse it for a couple weeks...if you are in a tight spot. Careful man...this has the potential to turn pricey...really quickly. Wayne

CrnCnn
08/18/2007, 06:59 PM
I like that you open the ladies door first...must be over 30 :rolleyes: Dust off your wrenches, and use the search function
27 actually :rolleyes:

CrnCnn
08/18/2007, 07:03 PM
Now this (bad CV’s) has been apparently pinpointed for an issue that some other VXers (tom4bren to be exact) have concerning a grinding/vibration noise at high speeds. I was thinking about just changing the whole axles, do you really think just the boots is a good idea or just a cheaper way to handle the current situation?

Chopper
08/18/2007, 07:32 PM
I'd just change the axles....but I'm seriously anal, and prone to changing out parts.

CrnCnn
08/18/2007, 08:02 PM
I'd just change the axles....but I'm seriously anal, and prone to changing out parts.
I was thinking that... Autozone shows they have or can get them.

Ldub
08/18/2007, 08:04 PM
And another way to go would be replacing all the boots, cleaning out the old grease & re-packing the CV's with fresh grease.
IMO, the meca-tech kit from www.independent4x.com is the shizz.
It contains everything you need, including grease.
I'm more prone to using parts until they break... ;)

CrnCnn
08/18/2007, 08:35 PM
Decisions decisions. :(

Dino
08/19/2007, 04:46 AM
BOTH of my outer boots are split! I have the boot kits I need (with grease) but I need time to do the job... SOON!!!!

nfpgasmask
08/19/2007, 04:10 PM
Once again I am left with the feeling that lifting my VX is something I should not do....

Sorry Clint, let us Reno boys know if you need a hand mending your VX.

Bart

CrnCnn
08/19/2007, 07:14 PM
Once again I am left with the feeling that lifting my VX is something I should not do....

Sorry Clint, let us Reno boys know if you need a hand mending your VX.

Bart

Yeah I am thinking about lowering my nose back down and saying the heck with it. I know the lift is just the 2 inches or so of clearance but the places we’ve been around here don’t require a lift really. Maybe I'll make it about a 1 inch lift like your thinking.

Maybe I will buy one of those scooters you see around and just drive the VX on occasion from now on. I really need to start walking to work anyway, it’s only a 20 minute walk. Yes that is about a 5 minute drive and yes I am that lazy. This month I get the Employee of the month spot but that really isn’t worth ruining my engine.

Normally I am the type of guy who takes all the bad stuff that piles up and says ok lets work on it and move on, there is nothing that can change what’s happened but man when it rains it pours….

tomdietrying
08/19/2007, 07:34 PM
I have a question. Do you do any serious off-roading or did your boot tear just from normal driving? I can see where having it lifted plus doing serious off-roading will put a lot of extra stress on the boot but not just from normal driving?
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Who going to win Saturday night?

CrnCnn
08/19/2007, 07:46 PM
I have a question. Do you do any serious off-roading or did your boot tear just from normal driving? I can see where having it lifted plus doing serious off-roading will put a lot of extra stress on the boot but not just from normal driving?
Peace.
Tom
Well, I do off road but not crazy like Moab or anything. Just go in the mountains and drive around and mostly on dirt roads, but there are occasions where I will take an old road that is really rough or rutted. I am sure that the off roading didn’t help as well as I am sure these are original. I am not making a case against the lift but it just seems like most of the noises and now problems generated after I lifted it and now wondering how much I “need” it. If I decide to go back to semi-normal it will be tough cause VX’s look great lifted.

p.s.
Who going to win Saturday night?

I always think Randy is in for a tough one but that’s the way he likes people to think about him, cause it gives him that much more fire. I really want him to win, he schooled Tim Silvia but I really never thought Tim was the greatest fighter to begin with. Gonzaga poses an intersting chalange with Randy that he has had a hard time with in the past, big guy who is great at BJJ.

Triathlete
08/19/2007, 10:04 PM
I look at it this way...if my front CVs fail due to my lift it will just speed up my SAS process. I will not replace axle shafts!
The boots are relatively easy to replace. I am not much of a mechanic and can do both sides in a weekend. Takes about 4 hours per side. With an extra set of hands and more knowledge I'm sure it would be down to 2-3 hours per side.

CrnCnn
08/20/2007, 05:25 AM
I look at it this way...if my front CVs fail due to my lift it will just speed up my SAS process. I will not replace axle shafts!
The boots are relatively easy to replace. I am not much of a mechanic and can do both sides in a weekend. Takes about 4 hours per side. With an extra set of hands and more knowledge I'm sure it would be down to 2-3 hours per side.
You've never replaced your CV's? Do you get the noise at around 60 mph?

Ldub
08/20/2007, 05:39 AM
A bit of extra driveline noise after lifting isn't considered unusual.
My "harmonic vibration" happens around thirty.

If you drop the front without doing the same in the rear, you will change the caster...or is it camber ?(always get the two confused) angle, which will have an effect on handling.

IMO, the increased CV angles after a lift have more to do with boot failure than off road excursions...unless you're wheeling over pointed sticks that will snag them.

The Mecatech boots appear to be made of a material with superior thickness & flexibility compared to stock.

Right after I lifted mine, I ordered a set of Mecatech's...I'm the type that over prepairs for things that may not even happen. :rolleyes:
Of course I haven't needed them....hmmmmm, maybe I should buy a crate engine to prevent...naaaaa. ;)

nfpgasmask
08/20/2007, 08:57 AM
Actually Ldub, I think you should make a comple body cage out of aqua noodles (http://www.julieleung.com/archives/noodles.jpg) to prepare for your next Bathtub rollover. :p

Anyway, back to the lift. Is it safe to assume, that to be on the safe side, one should replace there boots with something like the Mechatechs with a lift of any kind? I am still thinking of a small 1"-1.5" lift when my current rubber wears down, but I am VERY skeptical, I don't want to cause and side-effects...

I know Ascinder's boots tore open as well, but he went way up so its no wonder.

Bart

A bit of extra driveline noise after lifting isn't considered unusual.
My "harmonic vibration" happens around thirty.

If you drop the front without doing the same in the rear, you will change the caster...or is it camber ?(always get the two confused) angle, which will have an effect on handling.

IMO, the increased CV angles after a lift have more to do with boot failure than off road excursions...unless you're wheeling over pointed sticks that will snag them.

The Mecatech boots appear to be made of a material with superior thickness & flexibility compared to stock.

Right after I lifted mine, I ordered a set of Mecatech's...I'm the type that over prepairs for things that may not even happen. :rolleyes:
Of course I haven't needed them....hmmmmm, maybe I should buy a crate engine to prevent...naaaaa. ;)

tom4bren
08/20/2007, 09:55 AM
CrnCnn,

Sorry to hear your CV woes. I started a new thread on my repair.

I wouldn't get rid of the lift (can't on mine anyway because of the wheel/tire setup). Lifting does put your CVs a bad angle & even worse on VXs because the axles are short. Even with the lift, the CVs should last OK as long as the boots never tear.

It's worth the process of just changing the boots if that's your only problem. If the CVs are making noise though, you'll have to get them rebuilt. It's not too bad as long as the housing isn't worn & you can find them or someone to do it locally.

Good luck. PM me if you need any info I forgot to put in the other thread.

Triathlete
08/20/2007, 10:02 AM
You've never replaced your CV's? Do you get the noise at around 60 mph?

Nope...just thouroughly cleaned and replaced the boots. Still purrs like a kitten....err maybe a tiger!

tom4bren
08/20/2007, 12:03 PM
"Nope...just thouroughly cleaned and replaced the boots. Still purrs like a kitten....err maybe a tiger!"

Maybe a tiger with bigger balls...????

CrnCnn
08/20/2007, 08:36 PM
I am thinking that I will just be ordering boots. The heck with it, drive it til it breaks.

nfpgasmask
08/20/2007, 08:59 PM
That's the spirit, Clint! You know, a friend of mine from work said to me the other day, "Man, your VehiCROSS is looking a little beat up!" And you know, he's right. Since I have moved out West, I have really put my VX through the motions, and it has taken a little bit of a beating. But what would our VXes be if we didn't drive them???

Bart

I am thinking that I will just be ordering boots. The heck with it, drive it til it breaks.

CrnCnn
08/20/2007, 09:13 PM
That's the spirit, Clint! You know, a friend of mine from work said to me the other day, "Man, your VehiCROSS is looking a little beat up!" And you know, he's right. Since I have moved out West, I have really put my VX through the motions, and it has taken a little bit of a beating. But what would our VXes be if we didn't drive them???

Bart
You sure put lots of miles on yours. It seems like you and Linda are headed out almost every weekend to check out cool spots around here. You have explored more, in what less than a year, than I have in 6 years.

nfpgasmask
08/20/2007, 10:11 PM
Well, that's for sure. Coming from the Midwest, I just can't get enough of the mountains, desert and general scenery out here. I mean, sh1t, we have like 3 National Parks within a few hours, Lake Tahoe is less than an hour, and there are countless State Parks and all sorts of awesome BLM land to explore. I moved here for that reason precisely, and do intend to take advantage of it. There are a lot of ppl who live in Reno and don't seem to realize this, or even care. I don't take those big beautiful mountains for granted, not for one second. I've been staring at pavement and sitting in traffic with nothing to see but man made buildings and nowhere to go but work, for the last 10 years. So every time I am outside here I feel stoked that I am out West, breathing clean air and living the "good life". Quite, honestly, I don't feel like I do enough! I want to camp more, shoot more, hike more, bike more, canoe more, explore more, and of course, VX all over the place more!

But again, this goes back to your last email. I'm almost 32, been stuck in front of a PC for the last 10 years and counting, and it has taken a toll on my stamina, health and general energy level. Basically, it has made me fat and lazy. Breaking out of it is going to be an uphill challenge, literally. Maybe if it wasn't for all the damn beer.... :)

Bart

You sure put lots of miles on yours. It seems like you and Linda are headed out almost every weekend to check out cool spots around here. You have explored more, in what less than a year, than I have in 6 years.

tom4bren
08/21/2007, 11:21 AM
Clint,

Good choice on just doing the boots. Remember though that if the CVs make noise after, start looking for a place that can rebuild them for ya. Whatever you do, don't let the housings get worn.

CrnCnn
08/21/2007, 03:08 PM
Clint,

Good choice on just doing the boots. Remember though that if the CVs make noise after, start looking for a place that can rebuild them for ya. Whatever you do, don't let the housings get worn.
There is a guy that was recommended to me that is in Carson City, he apparently does great work and is honest. So if I need to get them worked on I have someone in mind.

tom4bren
08/22/2007, 07:16 AM
Great to hear that you have someone you can trust. I had that luxury too except he didn't want to take on the job if he had to remove the housing. Just food for thought.

Ascinder
08/24/2007, 04:37 PM
My boot which was torn before has now completely disintegrated and is torn out all the way around. While noticing this fun little fact, I also found that the other boot has a small tear as well. Mine are both torn on the inner CV's. Honeslty my opinion of the mecatech boots is very low. I looked them over, and compared to the stock boots they seem much thinner. Maybe that allows them to flex more, but it also seems they tear out easier. I had one already on hand for the boot that initially tore out on mine, but I am really considering buying something else now instead now that the second one has a rip. Clint that totally sucks that yours is torn up. If you want to get together and do mine and yours at the same time, I'm down to help. I'm out of town this weekend, but should be available any time after that. Also, I'd like to again clear up a misunderstanding about:
I know Ascinder's boots tore open as well, but he went way up so its no wonder. With the differential drop brackets my "effective lift" over stock as far as the CV boots are concerned is only 2.5", which is .5" less than most people have been doing on the forums for years now. I really think my symptoms are due more to the fact that I have never done CVs before and when I did, I loaded them to the brim with CV grease. The excessive amounts of grease coupled with the thin walls of the mecatechs and the high rotational mass as a result probably popped them. I may be looking for a more "stock" type of boot this time as the walls seemed to be at least 2 or 3 times as thick as the mecatechs.

CrnCnn
09/07/2007, 02:40 PM
Ok, so I ordered my boots today. I went with some Beck/Arnley ones from Kragen. I should get them next week, maybe the three of us could get together next weekend. I will probly start them on a friday or saturday, I cant take a sunday off cause I am now the only Tech on the shift.

nfpgasmask
09/07/2007, 02:49 PM
If I am around for sure, I might not be though...not sure yet.

Bart

Ok, so I ordered my boots today. I went with some Beck/Arnley ones from Kragen. I should get them next week, maybe the three of us could get together next weekend. I will probly start them on a friday or saturday, I cant take a sunday off cause I am now the only Tech on the shift.

CrnCnn
09/07/2007, 03:48 PM
If I am around for sure, I might not be though...not sure yet.

Bart
The wanderer, yeah the wanderer.

CrnCnn
10/13/2007, 06:52 PM
So today I finally got off me bumm and decided to do my boots. I found Billy's write up on the replacement and had at it.

Well come to find out that the boots I ordered are too big. About 1/4 inch too big on the large side of the outer. I was not happy to say the least. Since they are an order item I couldnt get it done today. I wound just pulling the CV's out all together, because the driver outer is now torn.
:_brickwal

nfpgasmask
10/15/2007, 08:57 AM
Damn, that sucks. So are you going to reorder?

Bart

So today I finally got off me bumm and decided to do my boots. I found Billy's write up on the replacement and had at it.

Well come to find out that the boots I ordered are too big. About 1/4 inch too big on the large side of the outer. I was not happy to say the least. Since they are an order item I couldnt get it done today. I wound just pulling the CV's out all together, because the driver outer is now torn.
:_brickwal

CrnCnn
10/15/2007, 09:01 AM
Damn, that sucks. So are you going to reorder?

Bart

I am gonna order the ones for the inner since it seems to fit both the outer and the inner and is a bit longer (maybe will last longer as a result). While I was down there I saw all the loose heat shield parts and found a little rats nest on top of the transfer case. Also my transfer case is a little leaky. I was not a happy camper on saturday....

nfpgasmask
10/15/2007, 09:34 AM
I need to change my trans and transfer case juice really soon...

My ABS light is on and off now.

I have so much catching up to do after last week.

Bart

I am gonna order the ones for the inner since it seems to fit both the outer and the inner and is a bit longer (maybe will last longer as a result). While I was down there I saw all the loose heat shield parts and found a little rats nest on top of the transfer case. Also my transfer case is a little leaky. I was not a happy camper on saturday....

CrnCnn
10/20/2007, 03:08 PM
Well I will be ordering the Machatech's I suppose cause the boots I ordered from Kragen were all wrong. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

CrnCnn
11/02/2007, 10:37 AM
Well I hopped on the freeway to see if I heard that damn noise at high speed with the axles out. I got to speed, turned off the radio, listening as I let off the gas and all I heard was tires and nothing else.

So basically my axles are bad as well as the boots. A coworker has recommended a mechanic the works mostly on axles and drivelines. I suppose I should call him and see what he has to say.

I am in the process of selling my motorcycle, if that goes through I guess I will spend my money on this problem.

Life sucks....

nfpgasmask
11/02/2007, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you had a bike. I wonder if Ascinder could shed some light on your problem...

That does suck.

Bart

Well I hopped on the freeway to see if I heard that damn noise at high speed with the axles out. I got to speed, turned off the radio, listening as I let off the gas and all I heard was tires and nothing else.

So basically my axles are bad as well as the boots. A coworker has recommended a mechanic the works mostly on axles and drivelines. I suppose I should call him and see what he has to say.

I am in the process of selling my motorcycle, if that goes through I guess I will spend my money on this problem.

Life sucks....

CrnCnn
11/02/2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmm, I didn't know you had a bike. I wonder if Ascinder could shed some light on your problem...

That does suck.

Bart

Yeah after monday I think I might not have one anymore. I talked with
Tom4bren and he had the same issue and his turned out to be bad CV's. Did you get my PM about the roof rails?

nfpgasmask
11/02/2007, 04:10 PM
Yup, you should put your extra ones on eBay. :) I don't really need them since mine are holding up!

Thanks though, Bart

Yeah after monday I think I might not have one anymore. I talked with
Tom4bren and he had the same issue and his turned out to be bad CV's. Did you get my PM about the roof rails?

CrnCnn
11/02/2007, 04:26 PM
Yup, you should put your extra ones on eBay. :)

No kidding

LittleBeast
11/13/2007, 01:18 PM
So after all my terrible transmission woes ($3800 later) I went to get the oil changed and behold my drivers side outside cv boot was leaking all over the place. I have not heard any noise or anything like that, and the shop I was at said they could take it out send the axle out to be rebuilt and put it back in the same day for $480. I do not have a lift so does this sound reasonable, or should I try the CV boot replacement on my own?

Scott Harness
11/13/2007, 02:19 PM
If there is no noise,all you probably need is a boot. I noticed mine was torn one day,but no noise, put on a new boot, everything is fine.

CrnCnn
11/13/2007, 07:21 PM
So after all my terrible transmission woes ($3800 later) I went to get the oil changed and behold my drivers side outside cv boot was leaking all over the place. I have not heard any noise or anything like that, and the shop I was at said they could take it out send the axle out to be rebuilt and put it back in the same day for $480. I do not have a lift so does this sound reasonable, or should I try the CV boot replacement on my own?

I would go for it, the process is pretty easy. You only need a few tools.

CrnCnn
11/26/2007, 05:54 PM
So they finally arrived. I was shocked and a little frustrated that I spent 92 with shipping and they came like this.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/IMG_01042.jpg
There was some foamy stuff in there too but come on.

ZEUS
11/26/2007, 08:58 PM
I hear ya, one of my tubes of boot lube was broken open during shipping and made a mess of things.