PDA

View Full Version : Got $ for engine, any other ideas???

Mrcln1
08/19/2007, 04:55 PM
Alrighty, motor seized a few months back and I've finally got the money for a remanufactured engine. Looks like $3800.00 used and $4000.00 for a remanufactured engine with either a 50,000 or 100,000 mile warranty. Just curious if you guys have any other suggestions for a cheaper route. I had a guy that builds engines look at it and he said he would be kinda scared because sometimes with these types of engines things move a little when things like this happen. He says he would be a little scared to get into it and really couldn't promise it would last. I'm looking at $5,000 to put in the reman and thats what I'm leaning toward right now. Another quetion is will any other engine fit without much work and will the more popular and cheaper Isuzu engines bolt up? Also looking for any other suggestions you guys might have on this problem. I'm hoping my buddy can get started this week if this is what i decide. I really hate to let it go because it's in almost perfecy shape. The interior is perfect and the outside except for the cladding is awesome and I have the yakima rack. lol . Everything works except I have to lube the window once a month. Kinda curious too what I could expect if I sold it for parts?

Thanks Alot for any help,

George :)

VehiGAZ
08/19/2007, 06:15 PM
Those prices sound about as good as anyone here has found for an engine, IIRC. Spend the extra on the reman, I'd suggest. You have no idea what you're getting with a used engine, but even lightly refurbished and warrantied is a much better bet. Good luck!

And check that oil!

Mrcln1
08/19/2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah I know about the oil. I got lazy and didn't get it changed for almost 5000 miles. I have definetly learned my lesson. :o

Thanks,

George

nfpgasmask
08/19/2007, 06:56 PM
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my old Nissan Xterra and blew the engine on it. I learned my lesson and now I am a freak for checking the oil and changing it, etc.

I give you props for not giving up your VX. Get the engine fixed and best of luck.

Bart

Yeah I know about the oil. I got lazy and didn't get it changed for almost 5000 miles. I have definetly learned my lesson. :o

Thanks,

George

tomdietrying
08/19/2007, 07:46 PM
Here's an option to look at. Your VX is a 99. 99s have been known to have a cylinder flaw. Use the $4000 as a down payment to buy a new 2001 VX. It will be new to you. Part out your 99 VX to pay off the remainder of the 2001.

Just anther option.

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
I'll be first in line for the plastic plate the shifter sits on.

Mrcln1
08/19/2007, 08:01 PM
I'll probably try to make sure I get a reman for a 2000 or 2001, don't know if they will really make sure of it but it's the best I can do. I'm gonna have a hard time finding a VX as clean as this one. The leather does'nt even have a crack in it even though it has 120,000. Like I said the window needs geasing and the rear wines but Its clean as a pin. I gave about $8,000 for it and with this I'll have around about $13,000 in my VX, so thats not bad. If this motors does'nt last it'll be parted out or something. I like having something different and I'm willing to pay a little for that. ;) It's hard to believe the other Isuzu motors don't bolt in and run though, since they made so few of these. Guess they really are different. lol

Thanks for any additional info guys,

George :)

circmand
08/20/2007, 05:10 AM
I have heard the Japanese have to replace their engines every 40000 or so for smog purposes you may be able to find a warrantied used one from his. To tomdietrying where do you get a new 2001 VX?

etlsport
08/20/2007, 05:25 AM
there are other engines that would fit in the VX... i believe someone said you could pretty easily fit a direct injected version of our engine from an axiom into the VX with the addition of the computer from the direct injection engine in place of our stock one.. that would give you more HP and better fuel economy, dont know about the price difference but i wouldnt think it would be a drastic difference

i dont think the UK/Japanese version of the VX have the same engine as the US model... iirc those versions have a 3.2L instead of the 3.5.. dont know the difference in the two as far as power or durability go though

johnnyapollo
08/20/2007, 05:33 AM
My understanding is that the 3.5 is the 3.2 block bored to a larger size - that's why the intake plenum is interchangeable. To put the direct injected engine in the VX it would take more than the motor and computer - I believe there's other stuff to replace too - it's basically an entirely different under-hood setup (drive-by-wire throttle - not sure about that but the harness and cableing look different). That same ECU also manages the Axiom's stability control system (missing on the VX - it was offered on the Axiom, Rodeo and Trooper starting in 2002) - I'm not sure what the absence of those control systems would do in a ECU swap (maybe nothing), but it could potentially throw codes if it can't find that part of the harness.

-- John

Chopper
08/20/2007, 05:57 AM
I've always had a Nissan VQ engine/6sp gearbox swap, rattling around in my head. Lot more work and dollars than your thinking of though.

VehiGAZ
08/20/2007, 05:59 AM
Changing engine types in vehicles is a hobby for the rich and idle. It can be done, but at much expense and time and and headache. Not a project for normal people...

Also - JDM engines will likely not meet US emissions standards.

etlsport
08/20/2007, 06:01 AM
My understanding is that the 3.5 is the 3.2 block bored to a larger size - that's why the intake plenum is interchangeable. To put the direct injected engine in the VX it would take more than the motor and computer - I believe there's other stuff to replace too - it's basically an entirely different under-hood setup (drive-by-wire throttle - not sure about that but the harness and cableing look different). That same ECU also manages the Axiom's stability control system (missing on the VX - it was offered on the Axiom, Rodeo and Trooper starting in 2002) - I'm not sure what the absence of those control systems would do in a ECU swap (maybe nothing), but it could potentially throw codes if it can't find that part of the harness.

-- John

:( thats too bad... guess i better start taking better care of my engine (j/k don't worry... i do take good care of it :_wrench: )

nfpgasmask
08/20/2007, 08:25 AM
That's an interesting tidbit about the Japanese. I would like to read more about that if you have a link?

Bart

I have heard the Japanese have to replace their engines every 40000 or so for smog purposes you may be able to find a warrantied used one from his. To tomdietrying where do you get a new 2001 VX?

Chopper
08/20/2007, 11:25 AM
I've heard something similar...that emissions regs make it very difficult to keep a car registered more than a few years. That's one way to bolster your auto industry, for sure.

Mrcln1
08/21/2007, 12:40 PM
Well I checked on the engine today and the good news is the price is down. Only $3975.00 now. lol $25 off. lol I gonna have it delivered to my buddy tomorrow. Only bad news is theres a $675.00 core charge, I guess I can put that on a credit card and then have it refunded to that. Should only take my buddy a day or so to switch the accessories anyway. I asked the people I'm buying the engine from if they install or recommend installers to put the engine in and they said they don't do it nor do they recommend installers. It has a 3 year 100,000 mile guarantee. Wish me luck, I feel foolish when I could buy another vehicle for this much money but I love the Vehicross so I'm taking a big chance. Still thankful for any info because I want order the engine until next week.

Thanks,

George ;)

etlsport
08/21/2007, 12:55 PM
make sure that the company will take your block back for your core charge, sometimes they wont take parts that aren't rebuildable and from what i heard when these engines seize they aren't able to be rebuilt

Mrcln1
08/21/2007, 01:12 PM
Called and told guy that the engine was either seized or thew a crank bearing. He said as long as theres no hole in the block or anything like that that it will be ok. That God.

Thanks, never would have thought to ask and wouldn't of liked to paid an extra $675.00, keep the ideas coming guys.

Thanks,

George

majork
08/21/2007, 07:08 PM
Check out this ebay auction...already called them, has damn good warranty and includes all current upgrades, including the oil fix

I am thinking about it to replace my 210K mile 99 VX engine......key thing is I think the source is reliable, Engines Direct (unless someone has a different story)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU-TROOPER-AXIOM-VEHICROSS-3-5-V6-NEW-CRATE ENGINE_W0QQitemZ7968338776QQihZ019QQcategoryZ33615 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Mrcln1
08/22/2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks majork, now I'm thinking of going with the company thats selling the engine on ebay. Even with the core charge and shipping it will be cheaper than the place I was looking before without the core. The company on ebay has a 3 year unlimited warranty but they won't take my core because it won't turn over. Looks like Engines Direct. If someone has experience with this company or a better idea let me know. I guess if for some reason my core is rebuildable I can have it rebuilt incase I need it.

Thanks guys,

George

johnnyapollo
08/23/2007, 08:56 AM
You could consider this 900 HP V12 as a swap:http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/4206704.html?series=11

j/k John

jims585
08/23/2007, 11:45 AM
Noticed on ebay Item number: 7968338776 3399.00 for reman engine + core & shipping.

Chopper
08/23/2007, 02:49 PM
You could consider this 900 HP V12 as a swap:http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/4206704.html?series=11

j/k John
he'll have to sit on the roof to drive it...but he'll only need a 12inch driveshaft.

Mrcln1
08/23/2007, 06:15 PM
I've always been into the Gm LS engines, had a 2001 Z28 and now a GT0. If a LS7 would fit easily it would be in there but I'll have to settle on the big bad 3.5 for now. :) I just hope the ebay engine doesn't sell before I find out for sure whats going on with mine. Not sure if it's a stocked item but I don't get that impression and who knows how long it would be before they get the core rebuilt if they get one. The 200 year old tow guy I set up yesterday to deliver it to my mechanic never showed up so I have to pay 20 more for another guy tomorrow, but hopefully my mechanic can get in there and let me know the whole situation before they sell it. :rolleyes:

Thanks Guys,

George

P.S.

Went out and set in it tonight, breaks my heart that I can't driver it. :(

Mrcln1
08/24/2007, 01:32 PM
Have another question. Whats the best manual for the Vehicross? Haynes, Helms, or some other. Also, where can I get one?

Thanks Guys,

George

Mrcln1
08/26/2007, 10:09 AM
What the ^%$*??? Engines Direct is raising the price and core charge on the engine on ebay. I think they have done it atleast twice. WTF? Unless they are willing to come down I'm going with my original choice. This is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

George :mad: