PDA

View Full Version : Cross Drilled or Slotted Rotors??

Lizardmen3477
08/20/2007, 12:03 PM
I am looking into redo my rotors i came across a few kinds such as slotted or cross drilled... I was just wondering the opions or people who had exp with each? Which is better?

Chopper
08/20/2007, 12:18 PM
Careful...many are prone to cracking. The drilled ones especially. Don't go cheap...you may regret it. I'm using "Frozen Rotors." They've stood up, very well, to track abuse. They may be a bit overkill for a street vehicle, but that's not a bad thing...and I'm pretty certain they are made in VX sizes. Check 'em out...(and they look good)

Lizardmen3477
08/20/2007, 04:53 PM
I think i saw them i am also saw R1 concepts looks like theres is nice.

Lizardmen3477
08/20/2007, 04:56 PM
I checked for Frozen rotor website and they had no sizes for Vx anyone else no good name for rotors?

Joe_Black
08/20/2007, 06:13 PM
I just installed a full set of the Frozen Rotors on the IronMan along with Axxis Ultimate pads and am very satisfied with the results. The rotors were obtained from TireRack and are the same fitment as Trooper/Rodeo.

Joe Isuzu
08/20/2007, 06:39 PM
the point behind both is to get hot air away from the rotors and allow colder air in, the cooler that area is, the better your brakes will work and the less fade they will experience
imo both generally do the same thing but I have heard people claim the cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking, I have cross drilled ones on my A4 and slotted on the VX,
personally, I don't believe any of us will be taking our VX on track anytime soon (I may be way off base on that but it seems like more people off-road them than track them) so I doubt you will have to worry about the potential problem with the cross drilled rotors,
the ones on my A4 have held up nicely but I only do 1-2 track events a year so that's hardly a lot of abuse, if you planned on going to a lot of track events I probably would stay away from the cross drilled ones but for me, it came down to price and availability, I don't think either will wear out anytime soon for my purposes

etlsport
08/20/2007, 06:46 PM
beware of cross drilled rotors if you plan to offroad, a few people have mentioned small pebbles can get wedged in the holes and take chunks out of your brake pads... although i guess in baltimore there isnt much offroading

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/20/2007, 07:05 PM
beware of cross drilled rotors if you plan to offroad, a few people have mentioned small pebbles can get wedged in the holes and take chunks out of your brake pads... although i guess in baltimore there isnt much offroading

I'll be your guinea pig! I live on a long, windy dirt road with lots 'o' lots of small pebbles and have had the R1 Concepts & PBR/AXXIS Ultimate Pads installed since the first week of July with no problems so far....let you guys know if I have any!

johnnyapollo
08/20/2007, 07:12 PM
I have both cross-drilled and slotted rotors - no structural issues at all, but I don't recommend them because of the constant dust that scatters when you brake - the dust impregnates your wheels and can score the chrome or polished aluminum - in some cases when the dust gets wet it will pit your wheels - at minimum it's a pita to get off. The other issue is that the constant cutting action wears your pads down very quickly - something to consider.

-- John

Ldub
08/20/2007, 07:19 PM
I have both cross-drilled and slotted rotors - no structural issues at all, but I don't recommend them because of the constant dust that scatters when you brake - the dust impregnates your wheels and can score the chrome or polished aluminum - in some cases when the dust gets wet it will pit your wheels - at minimum it's a pita to get off. The other issue is that the constant cutting action wears your pads down very quickly - something to consider.

-- John

What pads are you using ?

johnnyapollo
08/21/2007, 03:00 AM
Stock Isuzu pads - someone posted a review of several and the stock pads won out as the best from the group tested on the VX.

-- John

Ldub
08/21/2007, 05:25 AM
Stock Isuzu pads - someone posted a review of several and the stock pads won out as the best from the group tested on the VX.

-- John

The reason I asked is because I've always thought the stock pads did a great job of stopping me before impact, but I also like the fact that that they're nearly dust free compared to other cars I've owned. The increased dusting with drilled/slotted rotors is something I haven't heard of before.
Thanks.

Cyrk
08/21/2007, 05:47 AM
Power Slot rotors... been using them for ever on my VX, with the stock pads... no problems.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/636000-636999/636823_24_full.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Power+Slot&model=Cryo-Treated+Rotor&group=Cryo-Treated+Rotor&autoMake=Isuzu&autoModel=Vehicross&autoYear=1999&autoModClar=&perfCode=S

johnnyapollo
08/21/2007, 06:01 AM
Slots basically carve away the pad - the more you brake the more that gets removed (the new surface provides better braking). Cross drilling provides better ventilation to diminish heat associated with braking (as does venting - VX discs are already vented).

-- John

VehiGAZ
08/21/2007, 06:18 AM
the dust impregnates your wheels

Is that where 14" wheels come from? :laughing:

Lizardmen3477
08/21/2007, 06:27 AM
He Cyrk, what caliper paint did u use and how is it holding up im painting mine soon as well.

Cyrk
08/21/2007, 08:36 AM
I used G2 and now it is starting to peel... :mad:

Kenny
08/21/2007, 09:05 AM
SP Performance cross drilled and slotted. With EBC green brake pads.

I would strongly suggest you get your discs with a nickel plating coating or such. I got mine with just the shipping coating that wears off after a bit, so then I have to paint them to keep them from showing rust at the edges and in the grooves.

The EBC pads I use are "stickier" than the stock, but give a tad more dust. It takes a week to build up a layer than you can see. I'd recommend stock from Merlin, they're only a tad more than EBC.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3182/sp_performance_front.jpg

BTW, I don't really see the benefit for "high temp" paint on our calipers. I used Tremclad primer and then fire red enamel (3 coats).
With a good cleaning, they still look like the day I painted them 2 years ago - no flaking or adverse effects from braking heat (they even stood up to a bit of brake fluid)

nfpgasmask
08/21/2007, 09:32 AM
I am running the R1 Concepts pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Quite honestly, I am not happy with my brake situation at the moment. I find that I have to stand on the brake pedal sometimes to get my VX stopped in a hurry. With my stock rotors and pads I could stop on a dime. However, my problem is, I don't know if it is the pads or the rotors that suck (or both). I am probably going to replace my R1 pads with some stock pads and see if it makes a difference. If not, then I will do away with the R1 rotors and try something else....

That said, Biju has had good results with his R1s, but I don't think he has R1 pads, and I know he also has better brake lines installed as well. Hopefully he will chime in...

Bart

Kenny
08/21/2007, 02:13 PM
I am running the R1 Concepts pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Quite honestly, I am not happy with my brake situation at the moment. I find that I have to stand on the brake pedal sometimes to get my VX stopped in a hurry. With my stock rotors and pads I could stop on a dime. However, my problem is, I don't know if it is the pads or the rotors that suck (or both). I am probably going to replace my R1 pads with some stock pads and see if it makes a difference. If not, then I will do away with the R1 rotors and try something else....

That said, Biju has had good results with his R1s, but I don't think he has R1 pads, and I know he also has better brake lines installed as well. Hopefully he will chime in...

Bart

I too had to stand on my brakes to stay stopped (and weren't enough to stop me on down slopes :eek: ) and went through the whole upgrade thing...
ss brake lines, bleed-bleed-bleeeeeeed...., discs, and finally new pads.

In the end I found it was the new pads (being thicker added to the thicker new discs). It wasn't anything with grip, I seemed to need more meat :rolleyes: - the pistons appeared to be "reaching" too much with the worn pads and worn discs. Doesn't make too much sense when thinking in terms of brake line pressure... but now it grips as I step down and locks up about 75% of the way when stopped - as opposed to having to keep it to the floor to stay stopped.

nfpgasmask
08/21/2007, 02:19 PM
Kenny,

Thanks for posting this. What you describe is EXACTLY what I am having trouble with. If I am going say 50mph on a downgrade, and I have to brake hard for some idiot in front of me who didn't put his indicator on, I have to mash HARD on my brakes.

So, what you are saying is that the pads are not thick enough to "reach" the rotor? It sounds like I need to invest in some new pads....

Rip the system,

Bart

I too had to stand on my brakes to stay stopped (and weren't enough to stop me on down slopes :eek: ) and went through the whole upgrade thing...
ss brake lines, bleed-bleed-bleeeeeeed...., discs, and finally new pads.

In the end I found it was the new pads (being thicker added to the thicker new discs). It wasn't anything with grip, I seemed to need more meat :rolleyes: - the pistons appeared to be "reaching" too much with the worn pads and worn discs. Doesn't make too much sense when thinking in terms of brake line pressure... but now it grips as I step down and locks up about 75% of the way when stopped - as opposed to having to keep it to the floor to stay stopped.

Joe_Black
08/21/2007, 04:10 PM
I chose the Axxis pads based on what a lot of the Subie crowd was running at the rallycross events and rallysprints, plus there are a couple of VX'ers who have had great results with them.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/21/2007, 04:20 PM
I'm running R1 Concepts with PBR/AXXIS Ultimate Pads with Independent 4X4 S.S. brake lines and flushed the braking system before refilling with Valvoline Synthetic dot 3 & 4 brake fluid (still glycol based).

I spiked the brakes at about 50mph after they were broke in and it stopped on a dime & gave me 9 cents of change back! I just hope it stays that way!

I did alot of reading on the internet about drilled, slotted rotors to understand it myself. As mentioned in earlier posts....cross-drilled rotors help to vent/shed heat away. Slotted rotors help to "scrape" or "freshen" the pad surface to keep your pads at optimum levels of performance. Drilled & Slotted rotors supposedly offer both features in one package.

Reading this I would expect more amounts of brake dust from slotted rotors as they are scraping the pads. I have noticed more brake dust on my wheels but simply clean them periodically with wheel cleaner when washing the VX.

Lizardmen3477
08/21/2007, 06:51 PM
OK so from what i hear a lot you of have the R1 Concept rotors so i will be getting me them as well thanks for all your inputs im sure ill be pleased :)

Kenny
08/21/2007, 07:27 PM
OK so from what i hear a lot you of have the R1 Concept rotors so i will be getting me them as well thanks for all your inputs im sure ill be pleased :)

Now, was all that advice worth at least $20? ;)

morgan-tec
08/22/2007, 06:28 AM
Check into the cross dimpled rotors as well, i am running cross dimpled and slotted rotors on the xc90 and love them.

JHarris1385
08/22/2007, 10:20 AM
Now, was all that advice worth at least $20? ;)

Nice catch.

Lizardmen3477
08/22/2007, 04:52 PM
lol yea it was!

djkymar
08/24/2007, 08:57 PM
So what about R1 Concept and the pads they give with the rotors? are they any good?

djkymar
08/26/2007, 08:55 PM
never mind ,just read all thread again and found my answer.
From what i read here most people got pretty good results wiht R1 concept`s rotors and axxis pads, am i correct?

Lizardmen3477
08/27/2007, 06:24 AM
Yes so ok it is the r1 concpets rotors with the axxis pads for that best combo and as far as the brake lines which of them is good? Then my projct will be completed thanks to all who helped
ps what about the r1 concept pad that come with it??