PDA

View Full Version : flashing check engine light

JGeorge264
09/05/2007, 05:16 PM
Grrrr. this morning on my way to work vx was driving fine, suddenly lost its oomphhhh, check engine light comes on flashing.. I pull off the road, shut it off, say a few choice words, and call the hubby to say help. He says, try turning it back on, so I do, it starts up fine, check engine light still on not flashing. I decide to limp it back home. Runs semi ok, have to go up a big hill, again runs crappy and check engine light starts flashing, pull over and shut it off again. I waited a few minutes and started back up - got it home. Long story short....
hubby took it in and had the codes read.

1171 -
302 -
137B- and
157B

any ideas on where to start? In the last two years I've had multiple problems with the carbon build up. Put in new EGR, cleaned EGR every few months. Had new intake manifold gaskets put on, new timing belt etc. I have to add about a quart and half of oil in between oil changes every 3000.
I probably would have sold my vx by now if it wasn't for you guys on here.
Thanks for all the help and info!

Jody

Tone
09/05/2007, 05:29 PM
Flashing usually means a more serious condition than just an illuminated CEL - I've had carbon break loose in the engine, sounding like rocks in the engine, flashing CEL so I turned it off and then back on and sound and light stopped flashing.

P0302 - cylinder misfire. Bad fuel, too low octane
P1171 - rotor control fault (something with ignition timing I would think which would contribute to above - crank sensor has it's own code usually)
P0137 - O2 sensor circuit low voltage, bank 1, sensor 2
P0157 - 02 sensor circuit low voltage bank 1, sensor 2
Not sure if the O2 sensors failing would cause the other codes but might be a place to start. Swap sensors front to back (they are the same) and see if the code changes to sensor 1.

MrCrowley
09/06/2007, 12:00 PM
My '98 trooper would do something similar to this. It never stranded me, though. I didnt check the codes, but i would get the flashing check engine, loss of power etc. ironically it always happened in the hills, but usually while pulling a load, and always after driving a good while in warm/hot weather. I would unhook the negative battery cable later for a second opinion, clear everything out, and it would not happen again for a long while- like months. I always diagnosed it myself as false signals from the oxygen sensors as well.

JGeorge264
09/06/2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks Tone,

I'm a bit confused now though as I was searching through some other threads and they showed the P1171 as lean conditions during acceleration. Is that the same as rotor control fault?
If the O2 sensors are bad would that cause the misfire? I know its thrown the O2 codes before whenever the EGR was dirty and it would go away as soon as we cleaned the EGR so I always thought it wasn't really the sensors. I guess I better decide what I'm going to do soon. I miss my sweel lil vx even though its giving me major headaches.

thanks again for the info!

nfpgasmask
09/06/2007, 02:55 PM
Although your problem maybe entirely different, I experienced horrible rough running and a flashing CEL. It turned out to be that I ran my gas too low and probably had some water in the tank trying to run through. After I filled up with a tank of premium the CEL went away and my VX has been running great ever since. I also changed the spark plugs also.

Bart

Cobrajet
09/06/2007, 03:09 PM
I thought those codes looked familar...

I had the same codes a few months ago (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10826), but a steady CEL. It would always come back on a certain hill on the way to work. The fix was to replace the MAF, clean EGR, throttle body and fuel injectors. I would suggest cleaning your MAF before doing anything else. I always carry my code scanner to clear the occassional O2 sensor lights, but this one kept returning. Haven't had another CEL since.

JGeorge264
09/07/2007, 08:29 PM
Today we put in a brand new MAF ($125 from the local Isuzu dealer), crossed our fingers and started him up. Started right up, idled much smoother - woohooooooo then ^(&^&&%*^ as soon as it warmed up the rpms started surging, check engine light on and flashing.. Grrrrrrrrr... Its not surging alot, but up and down between 700 and probably 1500. We took some starter fluid and sprayed it all around looking for vacuum leaks - nothing. Pulled the coils and plugs and the #2 that the code says was misfiring appeared to be burning the best although the top of the plug seemed to be oxidized. The plug itself was a milk chocolate brown. The rest of the plugs were on the light tan to almost white side.
It starts right up, no foot on the pedal and it doesn't appear to choke out or die. Just runs real rough. In the last two years I've replaced the intake manifold gasket, new egr, new idol control valve, new timing belt, plugs, water pump, had injecters cleaned and motor vacced to clean out the carbon etc. and probably a few things I've forgotten.
I'm sitting close to 138000 miles. The misfire is whats got us stumped at this point. I'm wondering if replacing the coil pack would help? Or the O2 sensors?
Thanks for help and the place to whine. As soon as I get this all figured out and paid for I'll be kicking some more $ to the site. I'm sure you guys have saved me a ton already.

IndianaVX
09/07/2007, 09:11 PM
i will try to find where i was reading what im going to say to you......
anyone feel free to correct me........anyway, the flashing cel light is flashing because of the misfire. it is flashing while it counts the number of misfires??? again, i have to find this info again. but i am pretty darn sure that the two go together, the misfire and the flashn cel.

etlsport
09/08/2007, 12:17 AM
i think the flashing cel is more of a "hey guys lunch is comin back up!" where as a steady CEL is like "ooooooh i dont feel so good"... .at least thats how it was on my last odbII car

JGeorge264
09/08/2007, 08:22 PM
It appears we have resolved the issues... I'm taking back all the foul language and bad things I said while trying to figure out the problem. I love my vx again.
We installed new spark plugs today and 2 new O2 sensors. Not really sure which one cured the misfire cel but at this point I don't care, its fixed! Went ahead with the new sensors since my milage is getting up there and its the same two that have been throwing codes off and on for the last couple years.
I was pretty nervous when I started it up the first time, held my breath til it was warmed up and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.. Yeahhhhh.. took it for a spin and was extremely happy with the new found power. When I give it pedal it wants to go again.

thanks again LDub for the extra help.. its very much appreciated!

Jody