PDA

View Full Version : Tire and wheel size advice needed

BritVX
09/22/2007, 07:11 AM
I'm in the middle of doing some radical changes to my VX which I'll post pic's of when complete but my problem at the moment is which way to go with wheels and tyres.

I currently have a set of 285X75R16 BFG ATs for road and 275 BFG MTs for offroad. I want to go bigger but is it better to get 15" rims and stick on 35X12.5s, or even 37s I've now found, or should I look at 18" rims? I'm looking at either more BFGs or Kumho 834s or Hankook RTO3s. I'm after the big tire aggressive look but also want to make sure they're usable off road in what is usually muddy conditions. I've got a 3" lift and no cladding issues.

etlsport
09/22/2007, 08:26 AM
from what ive read (no exp, im not lifted and am still running stock tires) 33" is the largest tire people have been able to go without some serious modifications... .dont know if thats different on the UK version.. but i doubt it.... as for the rims.. ive had a hard time finding a modestly sized offroad tire made for an 18" rim.... most of what ive seen is made for 15" rims but also quite a few for 16-17"

JHarris1385
09/22/2007, 10:56 AM
from what ive read (no exp, im not lifted and am still running stock tires) 33" is the largest tire people have been able to go without some serious modifications... .dont know if thats different on the UK version.. but i doubt it.... as for the rims.. ive had a hard time finding a modestly sized offroad tire made for an 18" rim.... most of what ive seen is made for 15" rims but also quite a few for 16-17"

Etl check out a terra grappler.

JoFotoz
09/22/2007, 03:36 PM

I've got 15 inch rims running 33x11;50's on a 3 inch lift (see my gallery)

Some cladding needed trimming on front...nothing at back.

(Look fwd to seeing your radical changes...are ya doing the Top chop??)

BTW...I went to Leeds grammar School back in the 70's!
We lived in Shadwell

Ah those Don Revie days!!

I miss Harry Ramsdens...Tetley Bitter....and decent Tea bags!

Ey up!

jo

BritVX
09/23/2007, 06:48 AM
I'll probably go the 15" way as it gives more sidewall, less chance of rim damage. As for my changes I'm playing round with the front end a bit having severely cut the cladding back and the body work underneath, I've also messed around with the grill but it's taking me forever as my company keeps sending me to Houston (in Houston at the moment). The only good side is I can buy bits for the VX :), just bought a Safari Bar from Tone, he always helps me out.
As for the roof chop I'm still considering the best way to do it.

BTW...I went to Leeds grammar School back in the 70's!

I'm originally from Yorkshire but have moved around a lot over the years, we were only in Harrogate for a year or so, loved everything but the weather:)