PDA

View Full Version : Guru help needed!

gruven
10/09/2007, 12:06 PM
Yes it has been awhile since I have posted but am now in need of some help from my VX family...

My 2001 Dragon (50,000 miles) had an unfortunate meeting with a semi on an exit ramp in KY while trying to complete an 1800 mile round trip visit from Nashville to northern WI and back.

Stopped at the bottom of the exit ramp when a semi behind me let off the brakes and pushed me hard (not a violent hit, just a stout push). Hope someone here can offer some insight to the problems that followed...

After putting the VX in park (and trying to ignore the acid boiling on my stomach & popcorn that was now decorating me, canines & my interior) shut off the engine to open the rear hatch to check alignment.
Amazingly the VX was unblemished (!) but upon trying to start the truck again, she was dead- just like the battery was yanked (although I had dim lights). Got a jump from a state trooper, pulled around the corner to get gas (300 miles left to home), got another jump from same trooper and took off for Nashvegas. Truck running great once started, so assumed something happened to my Optima Red Top as alternator seemed to be fine. Got home and slept.
Next day went and bought new Optima (previous was 4.5 yrs. old) and had power to start, but would not stay running unless I kept it above idle as it would immediately die if I took the foot off the gas. Two footed driving got me around the corner to get some fuel (as I was now running on fumes) and on the way back engine got rougher & rougher, then the dreaded check engine light.
What a sad sight to see the VX on a flatbed off to see my mechanic (although it looked pretty cool from that raised angle).
Get the call that my MAS air sensor needed to be replaced ($450!!) as well as the EGR valve sticking. Cannot claim this on insurance as no-one can relate a hit from the rear causing me all of these problems.

So a VX running like a top w/ a perfect unblemished history now after being pushed from behind will cost me over a grand... needless to say I am bummed.

Right before leaving for trip I had tires rotated and fresh oil (tried Amsoil over my usual Mobil1 for giggles).

So what my fellow brethren could cause this catastrophic breakdown? Coincidence? I am fearful of electrical gremlins, etc.

Karma points are up for grabs for any insight!

-gruven

tom4bren
10/09/2007, 12:19 PM
The EGR valve sticking is a common problem. So much so that many members recommend replacing it every other oil change. You can do it yourself even if you don't change your own oil. Do a search & you should find several threads on the subject.

The MAS situation is less common but several others have experienced similar problems (including myself). Mine would lose power on hills if I let the tank get below half. Fortunately for me, it only required a good cleaning rather than a replacement. I'd recommend you put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner at your next fill up & replace your air filter. If the MAS was clogged, the airfilter is probably dirty too.

Hopefully this will be the end of your woes & Dragon will stay healthy. Let us know if you get any more symptoms.

Techy-D
10/09/2007, 12:42 PM
The EGR valve sticking is a common problem. So much so that many members recommend replacing it every other oil change. ...........Hopefully this will be the end of your woes & Dragon will stay healthy. Let us know if you get any more symptoms.

Wasn't that the PCV that was recomended to be changed at oil changes?:eek:

tom4bren
10/09/2007, 12:48 PM
Yup. My bad - must've been a brain fart.

IndianaVX
10/09/2007, 07:21 PM
that was going to get expensive......

gruvn, you can CLEAN the egr yourself, and i usually do THAT every other oil change, or third......i think to that you could call merlin, at st charles isuzu and get the MAS cheaper, and put it on yourself too....no biggie.
was thinking too, maybe fuel filter got some stuff clogging it after gas tank got a little shook....???
anyway, those two things you CAN do yourself, wether it fixes it......??/ do you trust these mechanics???

good luck
david