PDA

View Full Version : Window Problems

SIRCO
10/19/2007, 01:49 PM
Hi All,

My drivers side window goes down perfectly, but going up...
it's slow and starts going crocked. The shop guys replaced
the regulator and it helped, somewhat, but not correctly.

The dealership said the correct way to fix it is to get a new
door. Right...

Now at the shop they went to check my passangers side
window and it fell of the track. We put it back on and they
are going to order a regulator for that. If I hadn't been
right there I would have thought they were up to something,
As I just used the passenger window at it was 100% fine.

Now it's a nightmare...any help would be AWESOME.

My email is sirco1@hotmail.com

I am not 100% sure I'll ever find this thread again and I
need help.

Thank you very much.

Ohh I have a 2000 vx

Thank you

Shawn
480-313-7031 (Arizona)

etlsport
10/19/2007, 01:56 PM
shawn, once you have the window regulator replaced, spray your window tracks with some silicon spray (NOT WD-40) theres some stuff called jigaloo in an orange can available at wal-mart or home depot, spray that in there and work it in a little bit.. make sure you dont let your windows go up slowly.. thats what burns out the motors, what happens is the window tilts forward and gets jammed, when it starts to slow down, put your hand on the window and tilt it back towards the rear of the vehicle.. regularly (once every two months or so) spraying the tracks with silicon spray has kept my windows from doing that for about 9 months now

the root of the problem is not the regulator, it is the window support system allowing the window to pitch forward, when this happens the windows bind and the regulator works too hard and burns itself out

VehiX
10/19/2007, 02:39 PM
If you take the door panel off with the window down and look in side, you'll see the window is held in place by two tabs/tracks on either side. These tabs/tracks are out of alignment and bend easily. This is what causes the window to tilt forward/backward causing it to bind. You'll need to bend them ever so slightly to attempt a re-alignment. Move the window up and down as you make adjustments. Once you have it just right, lube the tracks and replace the door panel.

Just be careful in here, take it slow and you should be good to go.

SIRCO
10/19/2007, 02:42 PM
ETLSPORT -

Thank you for the speedy reply.

So they (the mechanics/my friends) replaced the regulator
and it's working a little better. They do not know what else
to do.

I had a friend back in NY who worked on the VXs and he said
he used to add about 20+/- washers to the bolt to space it
properly. I have no idea what that means and when they opened
up my window, there were no washers...I saw them take the door
apart (the mechanics are family so I am able to watch everything).

They just don't knpow what to do as they said the way isuzu
weleded the window mount to the door (I think that's a correct
description) was not the best way to do this.

So, other than spraying the tracks...and does that mean taking
the door apart every 2 months? Is there anything else that can
be done?

Why won't Isuzu address the problem?!

Thank you again.

-Shawn

etlsport
10/19/2007, 03:43 PM
no i dont take the door apart to spray it.. maybe the first time it would be a good idea to open the doors and spray the tracks down completely then using a soft brush or sponge clean the inside of the tracks out completely so they arent gummed up, then lubricate them with the silicon again, other than that ive just sprayed it into the tops of the tracks with the windows down.. has worked well for me, ive got tinted windows too, no problems with that messing up either

SlowPro48
10/19/2007, 09:24 PM
Shawn, like etlsport said,
the root of the problem is not the regulator, it is the window support system allowing the window to pitch forward, when this happens the windows bind and the regulator works too hard and burns itself out so for a permanent fix (i.e., one that doesn't require lubing every few months - how many other vehicles have you owned that required constant window lubing - it's not normal I tell ya!) you have to address the problem of the window pitching forward. If you do a search of this site you will find several methods that involve repositioning the lift point. These seem like the best fixes (IMO), as they address the root of the problem.

When I got my VX, it had a serious window drag problem. I intended to apply one of the aforementioned fixes but knew I wouldn't have time for several weeks. I didn't want to burn out the regulator motors though so I opted for a "temporary" fix to buy some time. I simply ran a small (5mm diameter, 14.5 inches long) bungee cord under the front of the window to give it a little "boost" on the way up and keep it from dragging. I figured the driver's side bungee would break in short order because I run it all the way down several times a day for parking deck and bank and fast food drivethrus - but that was three years ago and the windows are still jumping up with no problem whatsoever and no lubing either. I don't ride around with the windows completely down all the time though. If you do that, this fix might truly be temporary. The 14.5 inch length was perfect for where I hooked the bungee because it gives the right amount of lift and also it allows the bungee to go completely slack the last three inches or so of window travel. That isn't enough to allow the window to get cocked and impede movement and it allows you to ride around all day with the windows down a few inches with no stretching of the bungees. I think that is why they have lasted so long. I don't know if you've noticed it but there is way too much turbulence and noise with the windows all the way down (for me anyway) so I usually only want them down a few inches anyway.

Well that's it if you're looking for a cheap, easy and quick fix that's somewhere between temporary and semi-permanent. Once you have the door panel off, it literally takes less than 30 seconds to hook the bungee and duct tape the ends so it doesn't come unhooked if you hit a big bump when the window is up and it's slack. I've already decided when a bungee breaks, I'm not messing with any drilling or shimming or re-gluing, I'm just going to slap another one in there and roll on for three more years.

Bulldoggie
10/19/2007, 09:50 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...&highlight=tab

Start here!

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11541

This one is a good follow-up

WILLY
10/19/2007, 11:26 PM
no i dont take the door apart to spray it.. maybe the first time it would be a good idea to open the doors and spray the tracks down completely then using a soft brush or sponge clean the inside of the tracks out completely so they arent gummed up, then lubricate them with the silicon again, other than that ive just sprayed it into the tops of the tracks with the windows down.. has worked well for me, ive got tinted windows too, no problems with that messing up either

the word tracks might confuse some folks into thinking behind the door panel,etl dont you mean window channels?thats where i have been spraying mine since i have had it and i have had no window probs. since.:)