PDA

View Full Version : new radio engine noise

garfull
10/22/2007, 08:47 AM
so i installed a dual 6425 deck over the weekend. i really like the built in hd reciever.

im getting some engine noise through the speakers. everything else is stock.

anyone have this issue after changing their decks? what can i do to shield the wiring if thats the problem.

tom4bren
10/22/2007, 08:55 AM
You can try different power sources for the radio. Some of the 'hot' wires carry more noise than others.

You can try a BFC (Big Friggin Capacitor) from your hot lead to your ground. This should filter low frequency noise to ground. If it's an electrolytic capacitor, make sure you don't reverse the polarity.

You can try new spark plug wires - they are the usual source for noise bleeding through to your radio.

Most of the better retailers should be able to sell you a filer circuit if all else fails.

etlsport
10/22/2007, 09:28 AM
lol tom we dont have spark plug wires :p

i had this issue with my head unit too... i cant remember how dual head units work with grounding, but some head units ground through the mounts, so make sure that it is securely fastened in... i would also choose another ground.. biju showed me a very good ground located directly on the firewall behind the head unit there is a 10mm bolt there you can use to ground, that solved a lot of my whine issues

tom4bren
10/22/2007, 11:04 AM
Don't the spark plug wires run next to the carburator then down next to the manual gear shift cable???

djkymar
10/22/2007, 11:43 AM
i have kinda same thing with my head unit right now. I have line in in my head unit so i listen my XM radio and i have engine noise troe it. I dont have noise on anything else like cd or radio but as soon as i turn into line in the noise come it. I doesnt matter if my XM on on not the noise stil there. MOre RPM more noise. Anyone had something like that?

etlsport
10/22/2007, 11:52 AM
vlad, where are your aux in wires run? if they run near your power for your amp thats where the noise is coming from, try to run the wires for your aux in as far away from all other wires as you can, if that doesnt work some shielded rca wires will help... this is what i used for my aux input http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=5&series_id=36&family_id=47&item_id=108351&locale=en_US&p_status=

tom4bren
10/22/2007, 12:52 PM
Make sure your aux source (XM, iPod, ...) is well grounded.

djkymar
10/22/2007, 07:02 PM
took my head unit out and i disconnected the cable that going from my XM to my radio and i shouldnt be hearing any noises but i still hear same noise no matter if anything connected to my radio or not so it cant be the XM. I even tryed this http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=181150&i=127SNI135&c=11&tp=2653
Didnt help and then i went deeper and in my wire hardness i have ground and the antenna that going in my radio has ground also. I cut the ground cable in my hardness and leave just antenna in my radio was still working so antenna gives me the ground then i tryed connebt ground wire in my hardnes back on and disconnect the antenna,radio work and engine noise is still there also. When engine is off everything works fine but as soon as i start VX noise cames back on. I have no clue now what it can be =(

bigkoala1
10/23/2007, 04:51 AM
took my head unit out and i disconnected the cable that going from my XM to my radio and i shouldnt be hearing any noises but i still hear same noise no matter if anything connected to my radio or not so it cant be the XM. I even tryed this http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=181150&i=127SNI135&c=11&tp=2653
Didnt help and then i went deeper and in my wire hardness i have ground and the antenna that going in my radio has ground also. I cut the ground cable in my hardness and leave just antenna in my radio was still working so antenna gives me the ground then i tryed connebt ground wire in my hardnes back on and disconnect the antenna,radio work and engine noise is still there also. When engine is off everything works fine but as soon as i start VX noise cames back on. I have no clue now what it can be =(

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/crutchfield.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=RSNaxUOi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_tbl=9&p_id=2650&p_created=1161893186&p_olh=0
check out this link it may help you troubleshoot

djkymar
10/23/2007, 07:10 PM
i read that before but it doesnt really helping much. I know its not the antenna for sure.
Any other thougths? Anyone?

etlsport
10/23/2007, 07:17 PM
where is the power wire for your subs running? anywhere near your head unit would cause those types of problems... also try turning down the auxiliary volume on the head unit to about 1/2 of the total.. if its trying to amplify that signal too much that could cause a small amount of noise thats always present to be amplified so its audible

djkymar
10/23/2007, 07:42 PM
Etl, my power cable running throw my door on passenger side and it goes all way from front to the end on right pasenger side. I tryed to tunt off my subs and it didnt help at all. If i turn volume down on my aux then i have to put louser my main volume which brings noise back louder.

etlsport
10/23/2007, 07:50 PM
the only thing i can think now is try disconnecting the power cable to your subs from the battery and run the vx and see if that makes any difference.. if it does you know thats where the noise comes from.. if not maybe try a new ground for it.... and if not id guess its an internal problem in the head unit

garful.. any luck with new grounds on your head unit? ive had issues with dual head units in general... one just quit on me out of nowhere.. i got nothing but whining from the speakers, not even a hint of music... another stopped sending a signal to turn on amps out of the blue

djkymar
12/12/2007, 09:42 PM
I did what you said Etl and it didnt help so then i got pissed off and i just start ripping cables off and i found out that if i unplug my radio from the ciggarete adapter noise goes away so now i need to rewire my satelite unit to something else. IM not sure how to do that. Any advice on that?

WILLY
12/13/2007, 08:50 AM
you were running your radio off your cigarette lighter's power source?:eek:

etlsport
12/13/2007, 09:41 AM
lol i think he means satellite radio was on the cig lighter... i hope... lol.. if thats the case than yea definitely hardwire it and see if that fixes the problem

djkymar
12/13/2007, 04:57 PM
LOL no kidding im talking about satelite unit and not my head unit pluged to the cig adapter lol
I took apart the connector from satelite and there is fuse in there so if i hot wire it will it blow my satelite unit or no?

bigkoala1
12/13/2007, 05:26 PM
is xm running digital or does in come in through the radio??

etlsport
12/13/2007, 05:51 PM
you can add an inline fuse no problem, just re-use the fuse from there and add it into a new fuse holder, if u dont cant find one to hold glass fuses let me know ill send you one, ive got a few lying around

djkymar
12/13/2007, 09:15 PM
okay thanks Etl, ill see what i have tomorrow