PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering leak

Dino
10/25/2007, 08:47 AM
I had this leak on my power steering. It was there since I bought the VX. It was using about 1 quart every two weeks. Annoying and stains everywhere I parked! :mad:

Right after I bought the VX, I degreased the area around the pump, hoses, and steering box to locate the source of the leak. I let it run for a few minutes and the first drip came from what seemed to be the output shaft of the power steering gearbox. I asumed it was the seals in the gearbox leaking.

A new steering gearbox costs $400 - $700 so I wasn't looking forward to that. I found a seal kit, ordered it, then got a call and was informed that it would be back ordered up to four weeks. I deciced to wait and investigate further so I cancelled the order.

Fast forward a few months to this past weekend. I decided to pull the steering box and have a look. After a complete disassembly, I found NO wear on the seals that would cause a leak. In fact, the internals looked to be in great shape.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vx_steering_box.jpg

So I reinstalled the the gearbox, topped off the fluid and started the engine. I let it run only a minute and there was that drip. I shut it down and started tracing the oil trail. There was drip spot on top of the gearbox. Hmmmm... I removed the protective plastic covering that winds around the pressure hose from the power steering pump to the gearbox. The hose was wet with oil!! I dried it all off, cleaned it with spray-on parts cleaner and fired it back up.

AH HA!! There it was, right next to the crimped metal sleeve on the end of the hose that connects to the pump. I needed a pressure side power steering hose assembly. I called every parts house on the island, nothing. Not even a listing!! :eek::confused:

So, I took the old hose to my local hydraulic hose maker and had him make me a new one using my old metal fittings. It cost me $85 and it's better than OEM. No more leaks!!

So the moral is, when looking for leaks, take those hose coverings off!!!

MrCrowley
10/25/2007, 09:15 AM
Wohoo! Glad that worked for ya. Troubleshooting is the bane of free-time:p

ZEUS
10/25/2007, 10:37 AM
Hey, Dino, good work! I have a question for you since you got so involved with the steering box. Sometimes members complain of the steering feeling sloppy and the steering wheel starting to shimmy (kind of like a weak death wobble). Mine does this sometimes at the typical speed of 45-50 mph. I have read that if you tighten the bolt on top of the gear box, you can fix this, but for most, the problem returns after a few weeks. In your tear down, do you think you have any answers as to why this might happen and maybe a way to fix it?

tom4bren
10/25/2007, 11:41 AM
If our steering box is set up anything like an old Dodge I had, that adjustment just set the mesh of the worm gear. That would 'tighten' up the steering but wouldn't effect any shimmy (unless it was REALLY loose).

Dino
10/25/2007, 01:47 PM
If our steering box is set up anything like an old Dodge I had, that adjustment just set the mesh of the worm gear. That would 'tighten' up the steering but wouldn't effect any shimmy (unless it was REALLY loose).

That's prety much my conclusion on that as well.

Shimmy is usually ball joints.

ZEUS
10/25/2007, 03:43 PM
Interesting, I just realized that after I did my ball joint flip that shimmy never happened again. Maybe you are right then!