PDA

View Full Version : offroad light wiring

etlsport
10/25/2007, 02:25 PM
hmm.. took my vx for some late night trail running the other day, all 4 lights worked great.. had them on for 30-40 minutes.. the next night only two worked.. unplugged the power from the relays to see if they were stuck, same thing.. pulled both fuses and put them back in, same thing, switched the two fuses.. and they both worked.. not sure what the problem is/was... one of the fuses looked like it was almost melted.. the plastic was a different (cloudy) color and slightly different shape.. but the link inside was intact and looked fine

not sure what the problem could be... here is the specs on the wiring...

10ga wire to aux fuse box.. two 15A fuses to 30A relays.. 14ga wire to the roof.. splits to two 16ga wires to power two 100W halogen lights.. ground is 16ga at each light, connects to 14ga then down to ground in the engine bay

looking at this i would guess maybe the problem is the 30A relay? but then i would think the fuse would blow and not melt.. and not sure why when i first pulled the fuses there was no change then swapping them made both sets of lights work

tom4bren
10/25/2007, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you are drawing 15A of current which is borderline for the 15A fuse. Since it's a slow blow, it didn't go but got pretty hot. The heat may have coated the fuse connection so that it wouldn't make contact. Removing & reinserting probably cleaned enough to make contact.

OR

It's a bad fuse. Replace & live with it a while to see if symptoms persist.