PDA

View Full Version : Blower motor going out

kelledee
11/06/2007, 02:11 PM
Hi all! Have sent my last payment :clap: and am waiting on the title and alas.....my AC/heat blower motor or resistor is going out. It comes on sometimes but not all the time. I tapped on it under the glovebox and fan came on.

Suggestions on what to do first????????? I have a great mechanic that will work on it for me for no cost but I would like some info on what to tell him to check first to save him some time. I have printed from online manual here about '99 VX but I have a 2001. Differences?

Also, if I have to get either motor or resistor, where is best place to buy? THANKS! It's getting chilly here in TN and I don't want to freeze my nip***s off! :laughgray

etlsport
11/06/2007, 02:16 PM
from what i remember you can usually just resolder the resistor.. do a search for blower motor or resistor and you will probably turn up some nice instructions on how to get it fixed easily.. if you do need to get a new one try merlin at st charles isuzu.. 1-800-727-8066

tom4bren
11/06/2007, 02:20 PM
Hi kelledee. I used to live in Johnson City, TN. Can't remember where Lebanon is.

One change in the VX from 99 to 00 was the addition of the automatic setting on the climate control. Soooooo, your manual might not help. There should be a copy of the manual for 00 on the right hand side of the home page (all the way at the bottom). It won't allow me to attach it here.

If you can't find it, PM me your email & I'll send it to you.

Search the threads. I seem to remember someone replacing the resistor recently.

IndianaVX
11/06/2007, 02:25 PM
i think the resistor thing is different in the 2001, my memory is foggy, and the solder thing was not applicable. those instructions were for the 99's. and the same is true for the 2000 shop manual, it still shows the 3 or 4 speed switch. ours, (2001) has a "variable" speed switch.
you can do this repair yourself if its the resistor, which it sounds like it is. i just replaced mine a couple of months ago with one from a wreck. call merlin for new, or some of these parting out threads, and get you a resistor from another 2001.
the instructions on acessing the resistor is the same as the 99 instructions, pull the old one out, and plug the new one in.
start to finish, less than 10 minutes.

Joe_Black
11/06/2007, 02:48 PM
I've never fiddled with the resistor, but if you take a look under your dash behind the glove box you'll be looking right at the blower motor. It's held in place with 4 phillips screws and has a captive plug for the power connection. To exchange with a replacement simply squeeze the plug while pulling to remove, then unscrew the four screws with a hand on the blower assembly to keep it from falling on you. Once out you'll see how simple it is, replacement is reverse of above.

IndianaVX
11/07/2007, 08:16 AM
just to add info on this topic....
when my resistor went out, i only had one speed on the blower (about medium speed), you could turn the knob, push buttons, and the speed was the same. the blower worked fine. if your problem is similar, then i would be suspect of the resistor. again,VERY easy to fix.
let me know if you need help.